US Vogue March 1, 1972 : Cybill Shepherd by Irving Penn

Personal Style | Mrs. Alfred G. Vanderbilt, Baronne Thierry van Zuylen, Lady Antonia Fraser
Photo Richard Avedon, Alex Chatelain, Pietro Paschuttini, Lord Snowdon
Models Mrs. Alfred G. Vanderbilt, Baronne Thierry van Zuylen, Lady Antonia Fraser
Hair Kenneth, Laurent Makeup Paolo of Elizabeth Arden

vogue archive

Personal Style | What You Say About Yourself in Your Clothes and How Well You Say It Pt. 1
Photo Irving Penn
Models Pola, Vivane Fauny, Susan Forrestal, Pat Cleveland
Hair & Makeup Franklyn Welsh

Last edited:
Man, I just never understood Cybill as a model! She just looks unfortunate on the cover, a tad better in her ed, but she is like a posterchild for white bland beauty ideals! I actually meet her in LA years ago! She was kooky and fun, but it was a strange experience. :lol:

That Newton ed is unseen for me, so thanks for this. The Bette photos are not my favorite, at all, I think the awful make up.

Man, I just never understood Cybill as a model! She just looks unfortunate on the cover, a tad better in her ed, but she is like a posterchild for white bland beauty ideals! I actually meet her in LA years ago! She was kooky and fun, but it was a strange experience. :lol:

That Newton ed is unseen for me, so thanks for this. The Bette photos are not my favorite, at all, I think the awful make up.
That was pretty much Bette's look back then. I think in about '75 she started to look more modern.

LOL She is the perfect blueprint of WASP, isn’t she? But a personality and energy always comes through in her shots rather than just a model posing, at least to me. Maggie Rizer has a similar aura: Very preppie, very WASP, and even a not-quite model-standard beauty (in comparison to another blonde like Amber). But she exudes energy and life, rather than just poses— unlike Kendall and Bella with their lifeless, blank stares. With Cybill and Maggie, their energy exceeds their looks.

^ I see that, and never thought of Maggie in the same way, but now you drew the comparison, i totally get it! Also about Cybill, i like her ed here, i see the x factor, and personality you mention, many models today do lack that.

How do you guys feel about Donna Jordan? I never got her as a model, until I went through every issue of VI when their archive was opened. OMG, she was a good model, I don't think I have ever seen a model who could sell me vulgar, the way she did! :lol: And then you see the Penn portrait like in this issue, and she looks, almost, ladylike. She had such an Iconic look.

LOVE Donna Jordan!! She came right at the right time when transitioning from the heavily made up 60s to the 70s pop look. Her Vi and VP covers are iconic!!

^ I see that, and never thought of Maggie in the same way, but now you drew the comparison, i totally get it! Also about Cybill, i like her ed here, i see the x factor, and personality you mention, many models today do lack that.

How do you guys feel about Donna Jordan? I never got her as a model, until I went through every issue of VI when their archive was opened. OMG, she was a good model, I don't think I have ever seen a model who could sell me vulgar, the way she did! :lol: And then you see the Penn portrait like in this issue, and she looks, almost, ladylike. She had such an Iconic look.

Thanks for introducing Donna! I dig her. She had such a strong look that’s also so startlingly modern; she would fit right in alongside Kristen McMenamy for a Marc Jacobs campaign shot by Meisel in 2020. She reminds me of a dangerously exciting Warhol muse like Ultra Violet— and in the modern fashion context, the punky, vampy lovechild of Nadja Auermann and Lara Stone. But like Kristen McMenamy, she’s an era-defying chameleon who can channel so many personas. Their types are at the extreme end of the all-American WASP types like Cybill and Maggie. And both types are just as classic Americana as Warhol and his Factory and the Kennedys and their Camelot.

Sadly, strong types from either end of the spectrum are lacking in todays roster of bland-looking and blank-starring models. I see enough blandness and blankness IRL I don’t want to see it in models, but here we are, surrounded by Adut/Hailey/Bella…

^ That is a perfect description of Donna!! The more I look at the past issues and history of some models, the more evident it is just how lackluster today's models are, we really are not living through an exciting Fashion time, sigh!

Fashions In Living | What It's Like Living on Perfection
Photo Horst P. Horst
By Phyllis Lee Levin

vogue archive

2EC543DD-DD9F-474C-A4DC-ADF46DC5216F.jpeg
source | condenaststore

Meisel loves Deeda Blair...

Vogue Italia June 1995
1872EC2A-D583-4930-947F-BCD9A181E1E6.jpeg
source | VI archive via ivano

Vogue Italia July 2017
23A7F60D-2304-49BF-83E8-16B87052851C.jpeg 7A5C5D13-5413-4B45-9AD1-EFF407E75A45.jpeg

source | mydigitalcopy

Shannon Rodgers for Jerry Silverman S/S 1972
Photo Unknown
Model Karen Graham

Charles Revson 'Ultima' II Sensitive/Delicate Skincare
Photo Unknown
Model Unknown

vogue archive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->