US Vogue September 2004 by Steven Meisel

I love the cover.

But seriously Gisele on the same cover as Hana and Isabeli?! Say WHAT?

I disagree with Isabeli and Hana. Raquel would have been a better choice. Or Anja. They're the models on top right now.

I don't think Raquel or Anja were that significant of models back when this cover was shot...

It's not like Eugenia wasn't Vogue US material or anything.She had been featured in the magazine for months and I believe was still featured after this issue.

I've heard Meisel was disappointed by her when he was shooting the FW 2003 Dolce campaign,which could explain why he hasn't worked with her much since.But still, I wonder why she was left on the cutting room floor.

thanks for the revival MissyMag:heart:!.. I still love this issue very much.. I guess I became so intolerant to US Vogue.. but, it was good while the enthusiasm lasted in me.. Gisele's story in particular is lovely.. she pulls off menswear so well, gives it a very feminine touch with no effort at all, and the styling is weird but it works wonders.

You're welcome MulletProof:heart: This is a significant issue so IMO we should have it as complete as possible for the magazine forum archive... I just found yet another thread for it so I merged that in... I did some scanning from the issue back in early Spring 2007 & completely forgot about it :rofl:

Here are the links...

Table of Contents

Letter From The Editor

Model & Supermodel Complete Article

:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
SAY IT WITH DIAMONDS
Model: Caroline Trentini
Hair: Jimmy Paul
Makeup: Flavia Ferroli
Stylist: Grace Coddington
Photographer: Arthur Elgort

source | bellazon

It's not like Eugenia wasn't Vogue US material or anything.She had been featured in the magazine for months and I believe was still featured after this issue.

She's featured in this issue... in the 24/7 Fur edit & Imperial Splendors.

MAGIC IN THE MAKEUP
by Lynn Yaeger
Model: Lisa Cant
Hair: Julien d'Ys
Makeup & Mask: Peter Philips
Stylist: Phyllis Posnick
Photographer: Irving Penn

source | bellazon

I would like to see Imperial Splendors. And I was a bit surpised to see Hana too and I might be biased but I could think of many models who would have deserved it more. Julia Stegner for example has worked (and still does) quite a lot with Steven back then and was in US Vogue from time to time. I didn't know that the editorial was in this issue but that makes it even weirder. Maybe her look didn't fit with the other models.

Yeah I see what you guys mean about who was a big model in 2004.

I guess Isabeli and hana deserved it.

But still its funny to see who was touted as 'the next big thing', in 2008.

I mean, where are most of those models now?

Hana is hardly on the same level as Daria or Gisele. And Isabeli - sure she got a lot of campaigns - but shes also not in the same league as Daria for me.

:innocent:

Isabeli definitely deserves it, look how many campaigns she has done but like the guy from Women Management said, that Julia didn't made the cover is a hot topic and I don't understand it. Maybe it was one of the days when Meisel felt like he loved someone -> Hana.

it was and still is a HUGE issue now. all the girls on the cover have gone super, but at present I have a little doubt on Gemma, where the hell is she now? it seems she hit her peak in 2007 and vanished.

anyway, MMA, thx for posting the pics, makes me kinda miss those sweet Gemma-Addiction days

I still have this issue and i still love it, and i swear this was the last US September issue that i thought was good, we will see what thez do this zear....

I've heard Meisel was disappointed by her when he was shooting the FW 2003 Dolce campaign,which could explain why he hasn't worked with her much since.But still, I wonder why she was left on the cutting room floor.
why was he disappointed?:huh:
He was disappointed in 2003 but was shooting her quite a lot till 2005:unsure:

^ I didn't understand that either... Meisel even gave her the Vogue Italia September 2005 suplement cover...

I have the group shot from art & commerce but I had never seen an actual scan from the magazine of it... It really hurts to see Eugenia on the A+C pic, and the cut out version in the magazine -_-

Eugenia's shot was beautiful, I believe the shot with the dresses was suposed to be the cover but then they decided that one would be the cover and Eugenia wasn't on it, so they had to cut her from the other pic too :(

^ I didn't understand that either... Meisel even gave her the Vogue Italia September 2005 suplement cover...

I have the group shot from art & commerce but I had never seen an actual scan from the magazine of it... It really hurts to see Eugenia on the A+C pic, and the cut out version in the magazine -_-

Exactly... and I'd really like to know where you *heard* Meisel didn't care for or was disappointed in Eugenia SnejanaIsMyMuse... there are so many rumors spread around about Meisel & models it's ridiculous... really.

Hi taben... the image isn't printed in the magazine at all... but it is still up at style.com :cry:

It's simply something I've heard.I think it may have been posted in her thread somewhere within the last few months.

That wouldn't really make much sense though as he has used her after that point, and the shots from that campaign were wonderful so it's not like they were awful or anything.I don't know, the point is it is an injustice that Eugenia was left out of this.

The group picture including Eugenia was reprinted in a large size in the march 2007 issue of Vogue Espana.

Thank you MMA and Mikel, I didn't know that :flower: I wonder why they didn't use that image at all :unsure:

About Eugenia, the rumour I've read several times in her thread (and I basically LIVE in that thread so I can tell you that's what's been brought up most often :lol: ) is that she didn't make the cut because of a weight gain... But she looks perfectly fine to me in the pictures up @ A+C...
Anyways that's another injustice in Eugenia's career, along with supposedly shooting a Dior J'adore fragrance campaign that wasn't used in the end because Carmen was renewed, and being dropped by Valentino when she clearly was one of his favourite models :ninja:

I've been meaning to buy that issue off eBay for years, but I haven't yet, I feel I'd betray Eugenia :lol:

I so loooooveeeeeeeeeeee this issue, I don't have it :P, but I got some scans off bwgreyscale via archive.org. The Daria, Gemma, Natalia editorial is one of Klein's best ever, such perfection :heart:, also the Model/Supermodel story is just beautiful, better than that dull and uninspiring 2007 one :sick:. Also the Trentini ed is so cute and Penn's first shot of Lisa.

BTW Carmen did not appear on this cover because there was a cover back in 2000 with Angela, Carmen, Maggie and Frankie about the VH1 Fashion Awards, so I guess Meisel/Anna counted that as one. I love all the models on the cover, but I can understand people's confusion over Hana's inclusion, but I love her, guess it was just a preference from Anna~

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gxsd
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->