US Vogue September 2020 by Jordan Casteel & Kerry James Marshall

Protective Measures
Photographer: Stefan Ruiz
Stylist: Alexandra Gurvitch
Cast: Paloma Elsesser, Jordan Daniels, Eniola Abioro, Indira Scott, Tess McMillan, Ugbad Abdi, Ariel Nicholson, Xiao Wen Ju

IMG_8056.jpg IMG_8058.jpg IMG_8057.jpg IMG_8059.jpg IMG_8060.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It Takes An Industry
Photographer: Ethan James Green
Stylist: Jorden Bickham, Tonne Goodman, Alex Harrington, Gabriella Karefa-Johnson & Camilla Nickerson

IMG_8063.jpg IMG_8064.jpg IMG_8065.jpg IMG_8066.jpg IMG_8067.jpg IMG_8068.jpg IMG_8069.jpg IMG_8072.jpg IMG_8070.jpg IMG_8071.jpg

Dreaming out Loud
Photographer: Nadine Ijewere, Dorian Ulises Lopez Macias, Stefan Ruiz, Luis Alberto Rodriguez, Elliot Jerome Brown Jr. & Durimel
Stylist: Tonne Goodman, Max Ortega, Camilla Nickerson, Gabriella Karefa-Johnson, Carlos Nazario & Phyllis Posnick
Cast: Jess Cole, Zhedy Nuentsa, Djoly Gueye

IMG_8092.jpg IMG_8093.jpg IMG_8094.jpg IMG_8095.jpg IMG_8098.jpg IMG_8099.jpg IMG_8096.jpg IMG_8097.jpg IMG_8100.jpg IMG_8101.jpg
US Vogue Digital Edition

Last edited by a moderator:
One would think the world begins and ends in upstate New York from reading this magazine and that the fashion industry is the most diverse industry.

Dreaming out Loud is not terrible considering I like that shot of the Loewe dress and it actually looks like they made an effort.

Really mediocre, I've seen Colgate ads that are more glamorous. And the face masks everywhere are so depressing.

And I’ve said it earlier, the need for representation from Asians American is legitimate but let’s not act that Asians people don’t have a voice in the fashion industry in general!

Just look at those patriotic Chinese expatriates who always keep their party’s words in mind. No one could deny that they don’t have a voice. On second thought, even at their peak days, the Japanese didn’t ask for it.

Really mediocre, I've seen Colgate ads that are more glamorous. And the face masks everywhere are so depressing.
The Colgate comment is hilarious while sadly accurate.

As for the preview so far...some images are good. Nothing outstanding. None of it really inspires a message of hope for me personally. I will say that the Custom of the Country story is the best I think and there could have been a wonderful cover image from that and it could have been more uplifting if there had been more movement within the shot. I wish that story had been longer than whatever the It Takes An Industry story is.

I’ve said this before on this forum and I’m gonna say it again: the digital advertising revenue matters. Sure, magazines can still cater to the people who buy them but the ad pages bought by the likes of LVMH and Kering will not be enough to cover the luxurious life expense of the powers that be at Conde Nast. They need revenues from advertisers who now believe more in the dominance of Google Display Network and Facebook. Hence why what is being put on the magazines should mirror what is going on online. It wouldn’t surprise me if every meeting they have when discussing about upcoming issues would start with “what are we going to do online?” first before bringing up anything related to the pages of the magazine.

I will agree digital advertising matters but I find it is not as lasting or effective as print advertising still. Now the people who work in the industry usually fall into two categories when this subject is brought up and its mixed in those regards. Some say digital is the best and others print. I fall in the print category so I may be bias.
The real interesting discussions I have are with those outside of the industry like acquaintances or friends that I have brought up the subject for pretty much the last five years. The majority have said they prefer print over digital. They have said they will scroll right past ads or some have downloaded an add blocking app on their phones or computers to avoid seeing ads altogether. The three who were really adamant about print being definitely more effective with advertising said because they feel the ads, in general, in a magazine feel like they are more seamless or belong there. It’s part of the experience. I will say these three who were adamant were close friends so they could have just been entertaining my own fantasies. But the others with less vehement in their speech still agreed that print is more effective at getting them to at least look at the ad. I must note that all these people I’ve asked ranged in age and backgrounds for those marketing people who may be present in this forum. Anyways the point of all my ranting is that print is still strong and has the capacity to be even stronger if those at the tippy top were actually paying attention and asking about. And I will say anyone in the publishing houses or at least in my experience rarely sees any of the big fish or board members who kind of decide for the company what the focus is on in terms of advertising. With Condé Nast in particular there are several things I have been told they could improve on and profit in print if, as this top tier person said, weren’t so “bloody blinkered.”
I apologize if this is off topic. I am new here and I don’t know if there is a more adequate post to discuss this better on.

I just can't believe all the complaining and moaning that is going on on here.
The United States as a country has 5 million cases of Covid19, 180,000 deaths in 5 months and a crisis we haven't seen in generations. Black citizens are executed in the streets, racists have been emboldened by this administration, the industry is on the brink of a collapse, brands and companies are laying off people at a pace never seen before, and people are pouting because Scarlett Johannson is not on the September cover of Vogue. Hmkay.

The common thread for all the Conde Nast editions was Hope and they all approached the concept in different ways, struggling with different circumstances that changed country by country.
Vogue US decided to give exposure to fine artists, reminiscing of the beautiful Vogue covers of the 1920s and 1930's and it's a nice choice for a change CONSIDERING THE CIRCUMSTANCES. So what? Take a deep breath and relax and just hope that things will go back to normal, if they ever will.

I read all the messages on here and I have seen the following words used multiple times: ugly, depressing, hate, desperation. The moderator of this thread referred to these covers as 'crap'. Some moderation.

Imagine if the artists selected by Vogue for this cover happened to read these messages. In a rare occasion when they are being given incredible exposure and recognition by one of the most important publications in the world a bunch of accomplished creative directors, art directors, EICs and stylists are tearing their work apart...Oh wait, you are none of that.

And there goes the Hope message.

The tone deafness, disrespect and the naiveté on display here are staggering. It takes my breath away.

I see what you did there, adding in the word SCARLET to push your narrative, I dont remember seeing anyone demanding for her to be on the cover matter of fact many here are fed up of the same group of actresses and singers featured on every issue. Many of the complaints are not about change happening, they are about mediocre content on a cover. Black models have been the third class of the industry for years with many designers and casting directors un apologetically choosing not to hire them in some instances because they felt like they made their clothes cheap. Despite that hostile enviromnent many have worked hard and gotten to iconic level but are always shunned for the current black model of the moment because the industry can only tolerate having 3-7 black models at a time. The reason many of us are complaining is because black models deserve to be on a September cover of Vogue not as tokens in a group shot but fully appreciated for what they have achieved since September issue of Vogue is the most important FASHION issue. There's nothing tone deaf about saying that you dont like a cover, art is subjective and the same words have been used when it comes to cover subjects of all races. Also bringing in the Covid death rate doesnt make sense because Anna Wintour is not the surgeon general or Dr. Fauci and neither are the people posting on the thread, her job is to encourage people to be cautious and safe while she also does her job as an editor of a major fashion publication.

The behind the scenes editorial is actually quite nice and am glad they put it in the magazine not on the cover.

we'll never go back to the old good Vogue Magazine, with great photographers,cover and editorial stories...i miss this so much,not only for this magazine,but at all, Vanity, Harper's and etc. it's such a loss for the fashion industry and those like me who admire fashion and beauty

Keith from Tom Ford in Vogue?!!!:clap::clap:
I have to buy this issue! It’s a must now!

I love « IT Takes an Industry », « Dreaming Out Loud » and « The custom of the country ». There are great and in a way, I’m kinda used to that aesthetic in Vogue.

The masks ed needed a better cast ( Girls with strong eyes), a stronger styling and a more interesting aesthetic overall. That ed should have been done by Phyllis! She can make anything eye-catching!

It’s a culturally relevant issue and a fairly good one tbh..

Ps: Seriously guys, do you miss Demarchelier, Testino or even the horrible (Lately) Leibovitz photoshopped pics?

I get the desire for glamour but considering that it will never comeback in the way we knew it, isn’t it just better to enjoy those old issues ( for those who have them) and judge this for what it is?

VP is great but tbh, 80’s fashion by Alt is not groundbreaking and while it has the spirit of « the good old days of HF », I can’t wait for that magazine to move on from that. The fantasy of rich girls in jeans and Isabel Marant is really not it for me. It worked in 2006 but now....PASS

AnnualPartialCurassow-size_restricted.gif

That's it. That's all I have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->