Versace S/S 1998 : Courtney Love by Richard Avedon

lucy92

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Courtney Love photographed by Richard Avedon for Versace Spring Summer 1998
flickr/vivaversace

i like all of them except the photo with the stevie knicks type pose.

Attachments

• courtney1.jpg
    courtney1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 86
  • courtney2.jpg
    courtney2.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 123
  • courtney3.jpg
    courtney3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 92
  • courtney5.jpg
    courtney5.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 89
I never understood how this woman could be a fashion darling.

^ I can't get that either! And people complain about Lady Gaga...

Beautiful cambaign. Courtney defenitely works it out! As an actress she's a good choice for a fashion campaign.

Beautiful cambaign. Courtney defenitely works it out! As an actress she's a good choice for a fashion campaign.

Wait, is she an actress?!?! I thought she was a washed up singer?

Anyways, this is a hot mess. She looks like she needs to take a bath, as usual.

I scanned this one, same collection.

Attachments

• american_bazaar_april_1998__versace.jpg
    american_bazaar_april_1998__versace.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 74
newyorker

Attachments

• versace1.jpeg
    versace1.jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 52
november-blog. and f*ckyeahcourtneylove tumblr

Attachments

• love1.jpg
    love1.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 59
  • love2.jpg
    love2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 53
I always loved this campaign! Courtney isn't beautiful or anything but she gives the clothes a special charm. Thank you for posting, lucy92.

Usually I'm one for late 90's campaigns but this is just bad. Not even Avedon can make Courtney look good.

i love this ad! And she looks beautiful in this actualy (i love her). She had a great body at the time and i love how it looks here...
did photoshop exist in the late 90´s? cause she looks really airbrushed...

It's not bad at all, considering this is Courtney Love we are talking about.

As for her relevance and actress/singer debate, remember she was in People vs Larry Flung which was a big critics hit and she was in line for an Oscar nomination in 1997 ( ended up being snubbed though).

Ahh.. Courtney Love. I just love this woman and I don't know why. ^_^

never seen most of these before, I love Courtney she definitely brings something unique and different to high fashion and she the dresses actually suit her well, not every shot works but I still like it.

wow. such a throwback, thanks for posting. courtney is a style icon, in this twisted way.

UGHHHH THIS IS HORRIBLE!! :yuk:
And since when Courtney is a style icon??

I need to say a little something that I feel is important, after viewing some of the responses in this thread.

Please do not enter the fashion industry if your scope of pop culture (and fashion, for that matter) knowledge cannot date back beyond the year 2000. And don't listen to what those lemmings with ombre hair say on the E! Network. Fashion is about originality, evolution, and having a clear voice. Courtney Love is the most interesting woman alive, I think, and she's single-handedly (yet, with little recognition) transformed fashion. In 1992, Courtney topped Vanity Fair's Annual Best Dressed List, praised by Eleanor Lamber, the list's creator, as "a leading fashion dissident." Love transformed dressing into a social statement; in too-small baby dresses, antique tiaras, hair-bows and loads of smeared makeup, Courtney developed "kinderwhore." Attending the 1995 Vanity Fair Oscar party in a thrift-store satin gown, a crooked tiara and lashes, and a face covered in white powder and red lipstick, she was able to use satire to directly mock the pageantry and inane expectations of women in America, as well as in Hollywood -- a woman can only be "beautiful" if she's mangled herself into becoming this Miss World archetype, or if she dumbs herself down and plays this nonthreatening childlike role in society (hence the baby-doll dresses). Courtney turned herself into a deranged barbie doll and paired this with the most powerful female rock performances ever to date. John Galliano developed a friendship with both Courtney and her late husband (allegedly, Galliano's card was found in the pocket of the coat in which Kurt Cobain died), Marc Jacobs sent Courtney and her husband his entire Perry Ellis "grunge" collection, Courtney was friends with both the late Liz Tilberis and Gianni Versace, attending shows with Gianni and being styled by Liz. Courtney has covered Vogue Italia, Vanity Fair, Elle, Harper's Bazaar, Marie Claire, The New York Times Style Magazine, glamour editorial in US Vogue--you name it! Not to mention, seven Rolling Stone covers and several other music-related publications. In 1997 she won the Vogue Fashion Award for Best Personal Style which was aired on national TV and gave a moving speech against homophobia, saying "I feel that keeping gay people in the closet with our attitudes and our actions is cruel and it's tacky and, most of all, it's boring," as the camera panned to Anna Wintour and John Galliano giving Courtney a standing ovation in the audience.
As for doubting Courtney's acting abilities, that's ridiculous. Courtney spent several years of her youth performing off-broadway Shakespeare productions and even worked in the costume department of Paramount Studios. Although her critically-acclaimed performance in "The People Vs. Larry Flynt" was regretfully snubbed by the Academy Awards in 1997, she attended nonetheless in a fabulous Versace gown with future-fiancé, the Academy Award-nominated, Yale-graduating, Edward Norton. After the tragedies of Courtney's childhood and the death of her husband, this thrust into superstardom--posing for a famous photograph alongside Elizabeth Taylor, Elton John and Donatella Versace at a Hollywood dinner party and attending yoga with Madonna being some of her daily activities -- Courtney felt pressure from all of this positivity and fell into a serious decline, struggling with a drug addiction that lasted several years.
Courtney Love has played every role. She's been at the top, at the bottom; she's been hailed as the Queen of Rock, producing one of Time Magazine's 100 Albums of All Time; she's been a joke to many cruel and ignorant people. As a threatening, strong woman, Courtney has been crucified by the media and covered in false accusations. I think she was more talented than her late husband and I, along with the informed people of the world, revere her as the most under-appreciated and misunderstood artist of the last century. And in fashion, Courtney truly was, and is, "a leading fashion dissident."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->