Vogue China September 2018 : Zhou Xun by Paolo Roversi

A more dynamic pose would’ve worked better. This is just dull!

No thanks. Life’s better without it.

Although, is this the first September issue of Vogue China (in a long time) that featured a solo star?

Since 2010, they had either multi covers with different women, or a group photo.

How tragic if this were the only cover.

Unless your aesthetic is like Vogue Italia’s or that of Ukraine & Portugal, keep Roversi out of your covers.

Where's Roversi's trademark grey backdrop? And why a full length shot with such a dull pose? There's something very kitschy about the look, it will appeal to most of the much older Vogue China readers.
It's actually somewhat odd to see Zhou Xun (her voice makes me go :wub:), because just a week or so ago it was announced that she's filing for divorce. Can't say I'm shocked, her and Archie did get married on a stage in front of thousands of people. It was the most bizarre thing I've ever seen.

Then there was the couple H&M campaigns, most Chinese celebrities really take PR relationships to a completely different level. And she's actually an above average actress.

Last edited:
Seriously! This is a definition of giving up. Why doesn’t Angelica just leave?! In shock that she would publish this for Sept!! No wonder print is dying, Jesus!!!

Seriously! This is a definition of giving up. Why doesn’t Angelica just leave?! In shock that she would publish this for Sept!! No wonder print is dying, Jesus!!!

She will not, in a statement released last week, Condé Nast China asserted that she will continue to lead the magazine in the long term by quoting Jonathan Newhouse.

She will not, in a statement released last week, Condé Nast China asserted that she will continue to lead the magazine in the long term by quoting Jonathan Newhouse.

So it seems CN execs are spending more time putting gossip fires out than anything else! :lol:

Looks like a Getty Images red carpet shot... sad and boring

Photographer: Paolo Roversi
Stylist: Elisa Zaccanti
Celebrity: Zhou Xun

weibo.com/voguechina

While there's a lot wrong with this shoot (the beige backdrop, hair styling, etc etc), it still had potential. Pull an Anna Wintour and demand Roversi to hand over the entire film! Lol. I'm sure he had a variation of shot #3, with her making direct eye contact. That would've been perfect for the cover.

I liked the cover somehow. The austerity is appealing somehow, but I wish the used a red background instated, it would be more fair to a edition like september.

The ed in the other hand is tragic and boring.

Hmmm. It puts me in mind of a series of selfies you do when you're trying on different outfits in an effort to make yourself excited about attending some obligatory event.

I remember when I used to adore this title.

344P

L’OISEAU RARE — 8P
Photographer: Paolo Roversi
Stylist: Elisa Zaccanti
Celebrity: Zhou Xun
Hair: James Pecis
Makeup: Petros Petrohilos
Manicure: Typhaine Kersual

THE LIFE TERRESTRIAL — 16P
Photographer: Emma Summerton
Stylist: Daniela Paudice
Models: Ruth Bell & Minne Wastie
Hair: Luke Chamberlain
Makeup: Benjamin Puckey
Manicure: Eri Handa

THE CLASH — 12P
Photographer: Collier Schorr
Stylist: Julia Sarr-Jamois
Model: Sara Grace
Hair: Holli Smith
Makeup: Hiromi Ueda
Manicure: Beatrice Eni

POWERFUL WOMEN — 10P
ONE FOR ALL — 1P
Photographer: Li Xiao Liang
Stylist: Michelle Zhao
Models: Cao Ziwei & Liu Chunjie
Hair: Gao Peng
Makeup: Wang Qian
Manicure: Lily

REPAIR YOUR SKIN BARRIER — 2P
Photographer: Zhou Yu Bo
Stylist: Michelle Zhao
Model: Xu Xiao Qian
Hair: Charlie
Makeup: Wang Qian
Manicure: Lily

+2 edits reprinted from US Vogue August 2018

BREAKING GROUND — 10P
Photographer: Ryan McGinley
Stylist: Jorden Bickham
Models/Celebrities: Okay Kaya, Grace Hartzel, Imaan Hammam, Zsela, Jade Bird, Arlissa & Julia Cumming
Hair: Tamara McNaughton
Make-Up: Francelle

SAOIRSE RISING — 7P
Photographer: Jamie Hawkesworth
Stylist: Camilla Nickerson
Celebrity: Saoirse Ronan
Hair: Damien Boissinot
Make-Up: Dick Page

The review sounds terribly underwhelming, then you add those two US Vogue edits to the mix and you sort of know what to expect.

Thanks for posting the bts shots, MDNA! Didn't know Angelica shadows her shoots, probably just the important ones. The dress looks even worse on Zhou Xun in the candid.

This issue really is as much DOA as the cover suggests. Following MDNA's specs:

Breaking Ground by Ryan McGinley
Ryan on lethargic autopilot. Models lounging around pastoral spring splendour. It’s clear this was a spring shoot with flowers in full bloom— so weird it’s relegated to a September issue. When H&M campaigns are more expensive-looking and richly-drenched in mood than a Vogue shoot, you know you need to try a little harder.

L’oiseau Rare by Paolo Roversi
I always did like her, especially in The Banquet. Here, Zhou Xun is portraying the role of a beige painted wall, as you can see in MDNA's post. ZZZzzzzzz.

The Life Terrestrial by Emma Summerton
Emma beating Ryan and doing a better version of Willy’s Calvin Klein A/W/18 campaign, among a cornfield. The wardrobe is mostly Calvin, with the prerequisite Prada, of course. And Despite such horrendous designs, Emma makes it all work with her dramatic and sharply graphic compositions without veering into cartoony terrain like Willy’s CK campaign. Kind of a discount version of any given shoot by Meisel featuring a cornfield.

The Clash by Collier Schorr
Sarah Grace doing her best to capture that Collier monotone, while struggling to carry off Marc’s titanic-shoulders collection— if it were worn by the mousey teen daughter and not the Dynasty-mum. There’s no energy, no life, and dull lighting— in other word, typical Collier.

Just 3 measly fashion stories, with Emma’s being the only one that registers anywhere near living. It’s odd how VC has completely bought into the whole oversized, overlayered and overstuffed trend and still come up dull rather than camp, kitsch and cartoony. And the whole presentation, everything from the features to the fashion stories, are presented so austere, so clinical and so serious— as if professional women are going o dress like this. Angelica needs to lighten up and conjure some energy if she’s going to go with the infantile and baglady flow. Nice graphic design— but it's all so serious and wrong for the juvenile bag lady fashions. The cluelessness of VC is such a potent example of why print is dying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->