Vogue Czechoslovakia September 2018 : Karolina Kurkova by Branislav Simoncik

Strong content, why did they go for this underwhelming cover?!

The art direction is most impressive. Solid storytelling, just too much of a love letter to Juergen in some parts for my taste. Nice to see someone’s been religiously faithful to late-90s/early-2000 Arena Homme Plus, VI, i-D, Another and Liz and Fabien’s Bazaar, and still giving it all a fresh perspective.

The "Olga" story executes all the above references so so so masterfully. That alone is worth the purchase.

Thank you Royal-Galliano

So I finally had the chance to read the issue, my two cents:

What I like:
– The art direction is breathtaking.
– I love the layouts, they stand above most Vogue editions.
– The fashion editorials are superb, even if those inspired by the region's past play with the symbols, names and narratives rather loosely.

What I don't like:
– The issue feels more like a catalogue of products, which is weird since the theme of the issue is "freedom", but looks more like a jail of products.
– Apart from tips and short (mostly commercial) articles, there are too few features. But what's worse, they are poorly researched and the content seems obsolete.

So I finally had the chance to read the issue, my two cents:

What I like:
– The art direction is breathtaking.
– I love the layouts, they stand above most Vogue editions.
– The fashion editorials are superb, even if those inspired by the region's past play with the symbols, names and narratives rather loosely.

What I don't like:
– The issue feels more like a catalogue of products, which is weird since the theme of the issue is "freedom", but looks more like a jail of products.
– Apart from tips and short (mostly commercial) articles, there are too few features. But what's worse, they are poorly researched and the content seems obsolete.
Does the magazine have english traslations? Because I want to buy it.

Does the magazine have english traslations? Because I want to buy it.

No, but with the firing rate of hyped English words in their texts you shouldn't have a problem crunching it. :evil:

Also, they seem to be a bit confused about the whole language thing because I saw some of their outdoor ads and they are in both Czech and English...?

No, but with the firing rate of hyped English words in their texts you shouldn't have a problem crunching it. :evil:

Also, they seem to be a bit confused about the whole language thing because I saw some of their outdoor ads and they are in both Czech and English...?
Do you mean the advertising on the exhibition they have? Other than that, I haven't noticed any ads...

Do you mean the advertising on the exhibition they have? Other than that, I haven't noticed any ads...

There are several citylight billboards with selected photos from the fashion editorials – at least in Prague.

It all looks more art than fashion, I wonder if they'll continue this going forward in future issue or if just the premier issue?
I'm actually interested in seeing the next issue.
Good to see Paulina, I wonder why we don't see more of her like with Cindy or Christie.

It's always nice to see a new magazine on the market, especially when considering the state of the industry but this debut of Vogue Czechoslovakia just doesn't cut it for me. The cover is pretentious and underwhelming, such a waste of Karolina Kurkova.

I do love those photos of Paulina Porizkova, though. I don't think I could've resisted using that last shot in #90 as the final cover. So fantastic, joyous and fun for a monumental debut!

I still love the cover.

Let's have a Kiki de Montparnasse
Let's have a KK de Montparnasse
Everything is so Bohemian from Bohemia.

Last edited:
The debut issue should have been all the Czech Supers together....Paulina,Eva,Daniela,Karolina would have been a much better debut cover.

I love that Paulina spread, and I agree with vogue28 that her last shot would have made a wonderful cover.

Honeslty I love Brainslav's work for it makes me appreciate all the formal aspects that are so perfectly realized in Meisel's work and so lacking in his own, I really take for granted how perfect Meisel's photographs can be.
MTE. I appreciate both Branislav Simoncik's and Michal Pudelka's effort on their lengthy editorials but quantity ≠ quality. There's no flow whatsoever. All I'm seeing are many subpar photos that are plastered together.

It all looks more art than fashion

That cover story is art-house cinema in magazine form.

People turn to magazines as an escape from grim reality. So when grim reality starts appearing in magazines as fodder for fashion editorials, times must be good.

Vogue Czechoslovakia September 2018
Karolina Kurkova
photographed by Branislav Simoncik

tumblr_pdvb9nGTZY1vstnjqo2_1280.jpg.ffd3a1c49c0689d91de51b93f74fd936.jpg tumblr_pdvb9nGTZY1vstnjqo3_1280.jpg.9cb0a6c81e972282e490e0a1cced0897.jpg tumblr_pdvb9nGTZY1vstnjqo4_1280.jpg.6f9e8e844e45cd0044c789213eab87b8.jpg tumblr_pdvb9nGTZY1vstnjqo5_1280.jpg.b7d1a256c8a320c2c6d075e3d0627d0e.jpg tumblr_pdvb9nGTZY1vstnjqo6_1280.jpg.b74a47de9954a66d53cb1736f6f545c4.jpg tumblr_pdvb9nGTZY1vstnjqo8_1280.jpg.0f59e8a373d5a499e78d3b7f257273ec.jpg tumblr_pdvb9nGTZY1vstnjqo9_1280.jpg.0bc7a67af41a9a30019a8169903bfb89.jpg tumblr_pdvb9nGTZY1vstnjqo10_1280.jpg.51bd9fcdc73bac7d30c57754c376eb01.jpg tumblr_pdvbh7hAh41vstnjqo1_1280.jpg.08790e101c1dc128bff8077fe521751e.jpg tumblr_pdvbh7hAh41vstnjqo2_1280.jpg.119461ac08d1e9defb9a99958364f87b.jpg

*bellazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaywootoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->