Vogue Thailand Coming in 2013? *Update* Confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnemonefisH

Reaction score
This is a translation from Thai newspaper I found today:

Condé Nast is entering Thai market with the first publication of Vogue Thailand by early 2013.

Rumor has it that current Elle Thailand editor-in-chief Kullavit Laosuksri is the one who's dealing with Condé Nast on its first Thailand debut, and will take shift from Elle to become the editor-in-chief of Thailand Vogue himself.

manager.co.th

I'm thrilled for this news, but kinda on the fence at the same time.
Say, we already have own version of Elle, Bazaar and L'Official, but they all reprint almost every cover and go nowhere far from boring.
I'm worried Vogue Thailand might go the same route given that the Elle Thailand guy may take charge on this. :ninja:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure it's such a great idea, but well, another Vogue, why not?

Sounds kind of random but maybe it will work. Vogue Netherlands sounded like something that was going to be amazing and the first issue was a complete letdown whereas I would never have expected Vogue Turkey to be any good and it's become one of my favorite Vogue editions, so who knows :smile:
However I agree that even more magazines that are just a re-print galore are really not needed, especially when you can get your hands on the original material anyway.

I heard the gossip too.
And hopefully they will have the opportunity to do our own covers.

I believe in mr Kullavit Laosuksri as he is definitely the best fashion magazine editor in Thailand. Elle used to produce it's own covers years before and they were fabulous.

But now it's Vogue. And I believe he knows what he is doing.
When it's Vogue = International Models, International photographers.

Siam Vogue? Thai Vogue? Vogue Thailand? Yes. Exciting.

Sounds exciting, the more the merrier, as long as they're not too depressing (Vogue Korea/Portugal/Greece material for example).. I think every country with an evolving fashion scene and an active group of fashion consumers should get big publications to keep turning people into fashion and help the market grow. The Vogue snobbery and whether a country or region deserves it or not is just ridiculously old-fashioned, reminds me of 75 year-olds that refuse to attend pret-a-porter shows and even HC presentations unless they get special treatment.. so 1957. :lol:

However I agree that even more magazines that are just a re-print galore are really not needed, especially when you can get your hands on the original material anyway.

I disagree, having your own magazine even if filled with reprints but customized for that country is important. We all have different seasons, trends, languages and other aspects of fashion and lifestyle thus having their won vogue would be a totally different experience from reading US or UK vogue

Sounds exciting, the more the merrier, as long as they're not too depressing (Vogue Korea/Portugal/Greece material for example)..
Exactly how i see this, its wonderful news, and hopefully they wont be like the editions you mentioned.

Sounds exciting, the more the merrier, as long as they're not too depressing (Vogue Korea/Portugal/Greece material for example).. I think every country with an evolving fashion scene and an active group of fashion consumers should get big publications to keep turning people into fashion and help the market grow. The Vogue snobbery and whether a country or region deserves it or not is just ridiculously old-fashioned, reminds me of 75 year-olds that refuse to attend pret-a-porter shows and even HC presentations unless they get special treatment.. so 1957. :lol:

I thin you are talking about Vogue Taiwan because Vogue Korea is really nice.

I dont know how I feel, I problably think they should slow down. I dont want to see new Vogues every year. But if it is a good one why not?

Hmmm. Thailand has a rich culture and I`m excited to see how they`ll deliver but isn`t it so fast? From Netherlands to Thailand?

But sadly, after the mishap of Vogue Nederlands on their premiere issue, I`m kinda left on the edge here

Vogue Thailand Set for 2013

And another new edition of Vogue launching next year!

Vogue Thailand
Ella Alexander 21 June 2012 0 comments

VOGUE will launch in Thailand both in print and digitally in 2013, following a new license agreement with new Thai company Serendipity Media Co. Ltd.

"Condé Nast International is pleased to begin publishing in Thailand," said Condé Nast International chairman and chief executive Jonathan Newhouse. "It has a well-established media market, and there's a strong appetite for luxury fashion and beauty among its sophisticated urban consumers. The time is now right for Vogue."

Former Elle Thailand editor-in-chief Kullawit Laosuksri has been named the magazine's editor, although other editorial appointments are yet to be confirmed. Serendipity Media Co. Ltd has recruited experienced Thai and Asia publisher Nigel Oakins as its executive chairman, while former previously managing director of The Post Publishing magazine division Siri Udomritthiruj has been appointed CEO. Vogue Thailand will be the 21st edition of the magazine worldwide, following the announcement of a planned version in Ukraine set to launch within the next 12 months.

"We are pleased to work with Nigel Oakins and Siri Udomritthiruj, two of the most experienced and well respected media professionals," said Condé Nast Asia-Pacific president James Woolhouse. "Editorially, Kullawit Laosuksri has an unparalleled knowledge of the fashion and beauty market, and excellent relationships with both local and international fashion brands. The stage is set for the arrival of Vogue, the pre-eminent fashion media brand, in Thailand."
vogue.co.uk

Hmmm not looking forward to this, at least not if it's going to be like Vogue Taiwan, completely irrelevant imho.

Honestly, if you're going to give countries like Thailand or Ukraine a Vogue...how about Denmark/Swede/Scandinavia!? These countries are the hubs of innovation especially in design so I just don't get it!

^ i think it's more about the countries where people who can afford luxury live than any other reason :blink:

^^that's definitely a big part of it... magazines survive on advertising dollars, so there has to be a clientele that advertisers will want to pay to get their ads in front of.

I could have sworn that there was already a Vogue Thailand. Hmmm.
I'm still annoyed that Vogue South Africa still hasn't come to fruition. I guess Elle will suffice for now. :rolleyes:

I agree South Africa should have a vogue by now. Hopefully Thailand wont be a reprint galore

Very cool to see that Vogue is expanding it's publications to Thailand. It will be so interesting to see what sort of direction they go in. I'm hoping that it isn't just reprints, it would be great to see another edition of Vogue that wowed me (like Vogue Turkey). And I have to agree with many of the other comments, I'm a bit stunned that South Africa hasn't gotten it's own edition of Vogue yet. It seems like a South African edition of Vogue could be a great contribution to Conde Nast publishing and to the fashion world. I wonder why they haven't given South Africa one yet?

It doesnt make sense considering that South Africa is already a huge fashion market with prominent local and international designers. Nigeria is also an emerging fashion market whose fashion industry would make some countries with their own editions blush.

I dont think its random, its just that we dont know much about the Phillipines and Judging by their magazines that I see in the magazines thread, it seems to be major

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeddicus2137
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->