Where To Find Saris And Lehengas...?

Reaction score
I've really been getting into Indian fashion lately. I adore the prints and the drapery of the saris and lehengas. My only problem is that I have no idea where to actually find it? I live in Massachusetts. Any suggestions are welcome. I hope you can help :flower:

A friend of my mothers used to live in Massachusetts. I will try to ask her soon where you could buy a sari in the area (Its a big area though) :flower: Good luck!

If ya ever come to NYC soon I can give you a few places to go to... I love everything in those stores.. I even picked up a few of those leather and beaded/sequined shoes...

if you don't mind buying from the internet which is fine for saris then i'd recommend
* sagarsarees.com :heart:
* chennaibazaar.com - they have some gorgeous silk saris you just have to look
* exoticindiaart.com good choice
&
*sariworld some gems :flower: & cheap . . . you can haggle :P

hope you find something :wink:

I love this kind of clothing, too. Ack, but now I'm dying to buy a sari and I can't afford to get one!

Originally posted by eloes@Apr 11th, 2004 - 5:34 pm
I love this kind of clothing, too. Ack, but now I'm dying to buy a sari and I can't afford to get one!
Me too! :heart: This is getting weird... :ninja:

I have just been researching them, and have found some wonderful stuff! :buzz:

FG7200.jpg

Ahhhhhh! You're killing me, purple! I love them all, especially the red ones. I'm just dying to get one of those, but they're so expensive. Maybe I could rationalize getting one for prom next year or something... :evil: And you're right, we do seem to like a lot of the same stuff. I especially love the vintage dresses you posted!

Seriously, though, does anyone see anything cheaper? Much, much cheaper? :hopes: Or does anyone have ideas as to how I could incorporate my love of this style into more every-day outfits? The last would probably be the most useful/practical, probably.

Oh thankyou so much for all the great sites and especially the gorgeous pics!

I wish I had somewhere to wear one. Maybe just parts of it or just the fabric made into a skirt or something.

I have a question though...is it considered offensive to wear a sari if you're a blue eyed, blonde haired, pale skinned Irish/French/Native American girl for no special reason?? I wouldn't want to make anybody upset. :blush:

Originally posted by hollyslookingdry@Apr 11th, 2004 - 7:23 pm
I have a question though...is it considered offensive to wear a sari if you're a blue eyed, blonde haired, pale skinned Irish/French/Native American girl for no special reason?? I wouldn't want to make anybody upset. :blush:
I don't believe saris are religious hollyslookingdry. I have spoken to several people from that background who seem to think that is more than alright. I wouldn't wear the bindi though, I think it has significance for Hindus.
Can anyone clear this up for us please? :flower:

Originally posted by eloes@Apr 11th, 2004 - 7:18 pm
Ahhhhhh!  You're killing me, purple!  I love them all, especially the red ones.  I'm just dying to get one of those, but they're so expensive.  Maybe I could rationalize getting one for prom next year or something...  :evil:  And you're right, we do seem to like a lot of the same stuff.  I especially love the vintage dresses you posted! 

Don't mind me. I'm just lusting after them. I seem to prefer the most expensive ones for some reason... :brows:
In terms of being slightly more practical, I'd just go down to your local Indian area, they should have some reasonably priced ones there. Also, the sites I found actually have some cheaper options. I was just looking at all the intricate wedding ones, which I think are gorgeous.
If you could afford it though, I think it would be amazing to wear one to your prom! I can almost guarentee that you will be the most uniquely dressed person there.
Strangely enough, I actually really wanted to wear a sari for my high school graduation. I ended up settingly on my 50's dress though. Still, I always have my graduation from university to look forward to... :innocent:
(By the way, I am becoming increasingly convinced that you are my double!)

Originally posted by purplelucrezia+Apr 11th, 2004 - 11:02 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(purplelucrezia @ Apr 11th, 2004 - 11:02 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-hollyslookingdry@Apr 11th, 2004 - 7:23 pm
I don't believe saris are religious hollyslookingdry. I have spoken to several people from that background who seem to think that is more than alright. I wouldn't wear the bindi though, I think it has significance for Hindus.
Can anyone clear this up for us please? :flower: [/b][/quote]
I kind of knew they weren't religious but well I guess because they are so closely associated with Indians. I think I'll ask my friend Neelam. She is on an Indian dance team. I saw them perform once and was just absolutely drooling at the saris and the jewels just dripping off their ears, necks, arms, just everywhere! She should be able to clear up the offensive question annnd maybe help me find where to buy some :smile:

Too bad I already bought the material for my prom dress. I really wish I had thought of that before I spent the ::drumroll: $50 on my dress haha. I bought a dress for $25 on sale and added fabric to make it into a gown.

I think in addition to my Manolo Blahnik fund, I shall now be starting a Sari fund.

I loooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeee saris, I knwo people who live in india and peopel who visit frequently so I just ask them to bring me one.

Hi! I'm very new to this forum and I live in Massachusetts too! Red & Gold heavy brocade outfits are often used by North-Indian brides.
*edited

There are many sites showcasing Indian salwars and saris, I personally have bought a pair of saris and a Lehenga from www.shopandgift.com and I really like the finish they gave to the Lehega.

If you go to India you would find it for 10th of the price in Western countries! Although I have never worn a sari I do wear Shalwaar Kameez and they are the more popular choice to wear at weddings and functions etc.. They are basically dress and trousers! Lehengas are a more popular choice too. Thats not to say sari's are not worn, I think Sikhs and Hindus wear them more at weddings than South Asian Muslims.

You can get many Indian clothing in Indian areas. I don't know about USA but Britain has some well established South Asian communities in large cities and you can easily go and buy from there.

When would you wear the Sari? its very uncommon to wear for everyday use.

I wouldn't wear the bindi though, I think it has significance for Hindus.
Can anyone clear this up for us please? :flower:
If I'm right Hindus wear the bindi as a religious symbol. But bindis are now 'fashionable' are are worn by other religions.

BTW purplelucrezia where are you? Havnt seen your messages in a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->