Where To Find Saris And Lehengas...?

I love Indian fashion. It's so absurd and over the top yet the women are extremely elegant, love it.

At my school saris are used as scarves. This one girl wears this salmon colored one wrapped around as a scarf, it's gorgeous.

There is a store in New York called "Hello Sari," it is kind of in shopping siberia (I am remembering far East Village, might be wrong though) that sells all kinds of saris and such. I think most of their stuff is from Pakistan, its all really beautiful though.

I could tell you every decent store to go to in Bombay...lol :blush:

Go to the Indian sector of your city...and haggle like mad-they like it-in fact, they enjoy it. There's one in NY, Chicago, never been to Boston but there should be, it's so big....:blink:

I'm Hindu and yes, Bindi's are generally worn by married women. I think it's more of a cultural thing than religious thing. :flower:

The best designers for a sari is Manish Malhotra and Ritu Kumar...but they will charge $$$$. They do the costumes for Bollywood movies too. :woot: They're great, I love them. But they're only good for completely OTT occasions..

Golden Butterfly will prob know loads on this too.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
purplelucrezia said:
I don't believe saris are religious hollyslookingdry. I have spoken to several people from that background who seem to think that is more than alright. I wouldn't wear the bindi though, I think it has significance for Hindus.
Can anyone clear this up for us please? :flower:

Not so much religious but bindis are usually just worn on certain occasions. I have an aunt who wears saris all the time to go out and my mom wears them very rarely. Every woman looks very elegant in a sari and any woman can wear them it does not matter your background. I know when I see women who aren't Indian or Pakistani (any culture that wears those types of clothes regularly) wear saris and salwar kameez I feel proud! Although saris might be a bit of a hassle to wear every day because for some they are hard to put on, anyone may wear them as they see fit ^_^.

I never go there but they must have cool stuff! :flower:

I (or my Mum, really) go to Sagar, Kala Niketan, Ritu Kumar,Amarsons, Christina, and the Oberoi shopping centre is still great.Some store in Bandra, (or is it Breach Candy?) anyway, it's big and had horrible outfits, for extortionate prices-all these NRI's were buying them, because they'd seen them in the films.

Indian clothing

I came across www.shopandgift.com a site offering Indian saris, choli skirts and salwars. The prices are affordable.

Denise
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericqn
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->