Will Success at Gucci Be Sexy or Safe? (NYT)

Personally, I adore Ford. Unlike some designers that care too much about what people will think, Ford chose to take a different, controverisial route. He always stood by his work and never gave in, and for that I commend him. I don't necessarily think that changing the style of Gucci will be too bad, as long as it isn't a dramatic change. Take, for instance, Versace. Donatella did a great job with toning down the designs (as was necessary for the transition from flashy 80's to minimalist 90's), while still keeping the energy and sexiness of Gianni. I think if she works hard enough, Gianini can do the same thing for Gucci.

I dunno everyone speaks about ford, but he's gone...its up to her to take charge and re invent the look. I just dont hope its a DRASTIC change in Gucci but something sexy and modern

hmm the numbers are out for Gucci, just as i expected, Miss Giannini seems to be doing exceptionally well..

Giannini's Gucci Debut Buoys PPR Sales
By Miles Socha
PARIS — Call it the Frida effect.
Boosted partly by “excellent sales” of Frida Giannini’s debut ready-to-wear collection for Gucci, luxury goods sales powered ahead 19 percent at Gucci Group to 846.8 million euros, or $1.02 billion, in the first quarter — yet another bubbly showing for the high-flying sector.
The Gucci brand, experiencing a “boom” in sales in the Asia-Pacific region, posted growth of 18.2 percent to 508.3 million euros, or $611.2 million, in the three months ended March 31.
Gucci said it posted double-digit growth in all geographic areas, including Japan, where sales jumped 10.8 percent. Sales leaped 34.5 percent in the Asia-Pacific, 21.1 percent in North America and 16.7 percent in Europe.
Although Giannini received mixed reviews for her spring-summer 2006 collection of peak-shouldered dresses, cashmere rugby shirts and tomboy-ish pantsuits, sales of women’s rtw posted a 24.3 percent gain to 37.9 million euros, or $45.6 million, the biggest improvement among Gucci’s various product categories.
Sales of leather goods rose 20.2 percent to 294.3 million euros, or $353.9 million, while shoes stepped up 21.2 percent to 70.2 million euros, or $84.4 million. Wholesale orders also vaulted 22 percent, accounting for 29 percent of sales, but Gucci watch sales were described as “disappointing.”

extracts from an article posted at www.wwd.com of today

hahahaha!^^^^

i dont think her success is going to last that long though, it still relies heavily on the flora collection.....IMO

sometimes i simply can't believe how 'biased' you guys can be.. :D
this is a total solid 'hit' for Gucci, why should they let a succesful designer go?

I completely agree with Lena. Why on earth would Gucci want to let go of a designer who has just dramatically boosted their sales? That would be ludicrous! What's even more impressive is how quickly she has made the sales go up. So long as Gucci is bringing in the money, it would be beyond stupid and illogical to let her go. I mean, that's like saying Lagerfeld should stop designing for Chanel!

Last edited by a moderator:
sstrang said:
So long as Gucci is bringing in the money, it would be beyond stupid and illogical to let her go. I mean, that's like saying Lagerfeld should stop designing for Chanel!

he should. the clothes <scratch that!!!EVERYTHING!!!!> he designs for chanel is plain ugly. and it gets worse by the seasons.

frida is a successful ACCESSORY designer. she should stick to it. her 'idea' of mixing 'girly prints with plunging necklines' turned the gucci vamp into a old wh*re trying to be young but is actually drunk and high on coke. thats all. it's nothing but crap. her fall collection got worse!!!umm..gold?! HELLO?! choose another material!!! those...looked beyond cheap. it's disgusting.:sick:

gucci is looking cheaper and cheaper...clothes point of view. accessories on the other hand...it's ok.

and about the new minimalism trend...Ford would have done it in a sexy, classy and luxurious way. he adapts. but never gives in totally. they lost their mind and let THE designer with actual and true talent go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, Lagerfeld is perhaps the only designer alive today that has stayed true to the house for which he designs. Unlike many media-crazed designers who care more about their own image, Lagerfeld has stayed true to the style and refinement of Chanel. He continues to honor Coco's timeless elegance, while adding just the right amount of modernity. As for Ford, I don't think he was THE designer...while you claim he designed sexy lines (I agree to a certain point), he was often vulgar and trashy. Tom Ford is really a better marketer than he is a designer. I feel it was the right time for a fresh perspective. As for looking like whores, it's hard to say Ford was much better, considering some of his atrocious advertisements. (i.e. the "G-spot" G-logo ad)

Attachments

• 1601gspot.jpg
    1601gspot.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 65
erhmm, lets go back on topic, we can discuss Karla till the end of the world, but not in this thread, please?

:flower:

Lena said:
sometimes i simply can't believe how 'biased' you guys can be.. :D
this is a total solid 'hit' for Gucci, why should they let a succesful designer go?

because i dont like her style! And allesandra was much more cuter! :lol:

I think there is nothing wrong in changing the direction at GUCCI & to start over with what 'GUCCIO GUCCI' had established, & not what TOM FORD had established....& life goes on

if ur seeking all the sex hype then go to TOM FORD boutique by the end of this year...
what he did in the past 10 years was nice , cool & sexy....& i like it ..HOWEVER,what was done by TOM FORD has gone with TOM FORD...it is history now..

Exactly! Well said, Taz--I couldn't agree more. And for anyone who is into the large, dark sunglasses, Mr. Ford has you covered. ; )

taz said:
I think there is nothing wrong in changing the direction at GUCCI & to start over with what 'GUCCIO GUCCI' had established, & not what TOM FORD had established....& life goes on

if ur seeking all the sex hype then go to TOM FORD boutique by the end of this year...
what he did in the past 10 years was nice , cool & sexy....& i like it ..HOWEVER,what was done by TOM FORD has gone with TOM FORD...it is history now..

I couldn't say it better myself.

:wink:

But Tom Ford defined ready to wear so thats why the shoes are so hard to fill...Guccio Gucci was handbags etc....

**Taz: When I first read your post, I didn't put much thought into your comment about Guccio. Now that I've taken the time to think about it, however, are you suggesting that Gucci should do away with clothing completely, and just stick with shoes and accessories? If so, I don't think that would be such a bad idea. When you think about it, I don't think there is a designer out there anymore that focuses exclusively on accessories/leather goods. Perhaps if Gucci began to specialize strictly with leather goods and accessories, the quality would be even higher, and the prestige even greater. Besides, most of the designers bring in more money with their accessories line then they do the couture.

^ Ah, but Gucci is not about exclusivity really. It's all about growing sales, maximizing the profit at any expense. The RTW helps create a glitzy buzz which is good for their image/sales.

sstrang you have surprised me, I mean what I've thought about was the spirit of GUCCI, the concept, artistic direction...the total image.

but that can be another different story..I mean houses like LV, GUCCI & Cilene were leather goods & accsories houses but however having a ready to wear line has became a serious issue.. even if it doesn't sell well ...but it is part of the image of the house...to put thier names the in fashion week ... & to give thier bags the perfect dress to complete the look, for thier shoes, bags & accseories ..

I don't know ..but if that can be applied to GUCCI it might be applied to cieline & LV -when marc jacob leaves the house- as well

hope i am not out of topic:huh:

taz said:
sstrang you have surprised me, I mean what I've thought about was the spirit of GUCCI, the concept, artistic direction...the total image.

but that can be another different story..I mean houses like LV, GUCCI & Cilene were leather goods & accsories houses but however having a ready to wear line has became a serious issue.. even if it doesn't sell well ...but it is part of the image of the house...to put thier names the in fashion week ... & to give thier bags the perfect dress to complete the look, for thier shoes, bags & accseories ..

I don't know ..but if that can be applied to GUCCI it might be applied to cieline & LV -when marc jacob leaves the house- as well

hope i am not out of topic:huh:

I dunno I wonder who would take LV when Marc leaves....but he has a 10 year contract...until 08, but after that im guessing they will renew it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->