Your Best & Worst Collections of S/S 2019

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
C'mon... might as well since we only now have Louis Vuitton to go. Best and worst of the season? :boxer:

My personal favorite has to go to Max Mara, while the worst has to have been Hedi Slimane's debut at Celine. As per usual I loathed what Maria Grazia Chiuri done for Christian Dior too!

in alphabetical order:

Alexander McQueen
Comme des Garçons
Dries Van Noten
Erdem
Fendi
Givenchy
JW Anderson
Louis Vuitton
Prada
Valentino

Best for me are Max Mara and Haider Ackermann.
Worst are Off-White and Celine.

This season I wanted to be challenged, to see collections that will divide people, will raise questions, make me doubt about how I see clothes, about my own taste. So not really a best and worst but just the ones who gave me a feeling because past seasons everything was so monotonous :

Louis Vuitton
Miu Miu
Prada
Comme Des Garçons
Versace
Thom Browne
Marine Serre
Paco Rabanne
Loewe
Balenciaga
Dries van Noten
Burberry

Can´t say which one is the best, because I find them all boring as hell!
I cannot understand designers obsession with the 80s right now, this feels like Spring-Summer 1989 rather than 2019!

But the worse for me is clearly Slimane´s debut at Céline (and I refuse to write the brand without the accent mark). It´s the worst because with just one collection he has destroyed the image of this brand, that Phoebe Philo managed to create from nothing.

So many collections, so many shows. And an overdose of pure boredom.

Best:
Paco Rabanne, Sjes Marjan, Loewe, Balenciaga, Hermes

Worst:
Louis Vuitton, Valentino, Comme des Garçons.

Meh:
The rest

My top 10 favorite:

1. Carolina Herrera
2. Chloe
3. Delpozo
4. Haider Ackermann
5. Loewe
6. Miu Miu
7. Prada
8. Salvatore Ferragamo
9. Max Mara
10. Oscar de la Renta

I think this season more than highlighted how commercial fashion has been. Fashion is a business first and a very lucrative one. Now that brands are selling more clothes the collections are more sellable, maybe less memorable.

I’m always looking for a feeling of high fashion or a spirit...Something more than beautiful clothes.

My favorite shows are:
Tom Ford
Marc Jacobs
JW Anderson
Burberry (mostly for the first part)
Prada
Jacquemus
Dries Van Noten
Chloé
Haider Ackermann
Valentino
Loewe
CDG (her best in a longtime)
Thom Browne
Chanel
Vuitton

The worst:
Celine, Celine, Celine, Celine
Michael Kors
Courreges
Gareth Pugh
Proenza Schouler
Dior (MGC is, with Hedi, the laziest designer ever)

Disappointments:
Versace
Junya Watanabe (his worst collection imo)
Phillip Lim
Fendi (beautiful clothes, bad styling with too much bags)
Stella McCartney

ok, my new Top 10 Spring 2019 Collections in alphabetical order:

Alexander McQueen
Balenciaga
Comme des Garçons
Dries Van Noten
Erdem
Fendi
Givenchy
JW Anderson
Prada
Valentino

The worst/most disappointing collections were Céline (of course!) mainly because it was very boring but my worst got to be Off-White this season.

Cheers!

Best:
Comme Des Garçons
Loewe
Louis Vuitton
Tom Ford
Simone Rocha
Rick Owens: more so the wearable pieces, but I loved the energy.
Yohji Yamamoto

Good:
Jil Sander: Next season, with a stronger styling, it could make the best list for me.
Sacai
Balenciaga: Getting back to basics was a smart choice.
Lemaire

Worst:
Off-White: Makes me want to die.
Rodarte: So bad I can't unsee it.
Proenza Schouler: One more nail in their coffin.
Céline: Should have stayed at SLP and spared us all this hype and non-sense.
Gareth Pugh: That awful construction sends shivers down my spine.
Courrèges: Tackier than Jeremy Scott.

Dissapointments:
Jacquemus: Made me regret that I actually defended him a year ago.
Junya Watanabe
Philip Lim
Marc Jacobs: sort of, I don't expect much from him but his shows are at least entretaining and this one was an eyesore.
Burberry
Valentino: I did like the black section at the beggining, the rest was just messy
Prada: I'll keep waiting for those good ol' days to make a comeback...

Favs:

Marc Jacobs
Loewe
Lemaire
Giambattista Valli

Worst:
Celine , Prada, Calvin Klein

The two collections that I actually felt and loved this season were:
Dries Van Noten
Comme des Garçons

Collections I liked:
3.1 Phillip Lim
Akris
Ashish
Chalayan
Chloé
Christopher John Rogers
Delpozo
Gabriela Hearst
Haider Ackermann
Issey Miyake
Koché
Marc Jacobs
Marni
Moschino
Naeem Khan
Paco Rabanne
Pyer Moss
Richard Malone
Sonia Rykiel
Tom Ford
Yohji Yamamoto

And the collections I disliked were:
Blumarine
Celine!!!
Christopher Kane
Courrèges
Dolce & Gabbana
Iceberg
LaQuan Smith
Longchamp
Michael Kors
Miu Miu
Mugler
No. 21
Off-White
PHILIPP PLEIN!!!
Prabal Gurung
Redemption
Rodarte
Savage x Fenty
Thom Browne

Quite enjoyed this season. A lot of cute stuff, I feel like a lot of designers/brands actually embraced "Spring" instead of drowning women in depressing, shapeless rags. Some beautiful colors, a bit more "sexy" than in previous seasons, and f*cking finally some real diversity on the runways - I guess I'm pretty easy to please these days :lol:

My personal favorites were:
  • Yohji Yamamoto - :wub: So dreamy, seductive, and perfect.
  • Sacai - Always enjoy her work, but this collection just had it all: wearable, unique, cool pieces that were beautifully styled in the show.
  • Haider Ackermann - In love with the suits.
  • Oliver Theyskens - This one just made me happy because I hadn't enjoyed any of his work in a while, but this one felt pretty authentic, like he was doing what he's comfortable doing without trying to be too edgy while still keeping it fresh.
  • Margaret Howell - I want to own all of it.
  • Ann Demeulemeester - Not the best collection I've ever seen, but the first one since Ann left that was somewhat noteworthy. I loved all the soft pink.
Honorable mentions: Beautiful People, Chalayan, Melitta Baumeister, Rick Owens.

Worst:
Err, I saw a lot of stuff that seemed like it was going to give me nightmares but apparently nothing was quite traumatic enough to really leave much of an impression.
I will say that I'm against this current trend of showing 90 looks in one show. I get that it's kind of old-school and all that, but holy cow we sure did see a lot of filler crap that made it hard to appreciate the better parts of the more mediocre collections.

Also bummed that Undercover is no longer doing a womenswear show in Paris :(

Palomo Spain
Ann Demeulemeester men
Alexander McQueen women
John Galliano
Feng Chen Wang
Sankuanz
Rick Owens women
Sacai women
Haider Ackermann
Antonio Marras
Issey Miyake women
Olivier Theyskens
Cottweiler
Moncler x Craig Green
Sies Marjan

My favorites were Comme des Garçons, Koché, Loewe, Maison Margiela, Marni, Paco Rabanne and Yohji Yamamoto.

Hedi's Celine was certainly my biggest disappointment of the season even though I didn't expect anything different.

Best of the season:

Ashish - Sexy, simple, with lush colours.
Preen - Interesting play with volumes and proportions!
Margaret Howell - Effortless, unassuming and to the point.
Issey Miyake
Sportmax - Stayed true to form. Insanely covetable proportions.
Loewe - I've never been on the Anderson bandwagon, but I think at Loewe he's really been getting better with each collection.
Yohji Yamamoto
Ulla Johnson
Balenciaga - Hope it's a sign of things to come from Demna....
Max Mara
House of Holland
Poiret - Breezy and accessible with great colours.
Carolina Herrera - Beautifully captured mix of classic and contemporary! Take notes, ODLR and Kors.
Boss - It's what I would've wanted to see at Calvin Klein. Yes, I'm a purist, shoot me. Wu at Boss has been a revelation to me. It's surprising how he can fall in line with codes at another house, yet can't seem to put together a decent collection for his namesake brand. That says a lot as a designer.
Margiela
Fendi
Akris
Comme des Garcons - I think she rejuvenated her cult by dabbling with wearable designs! And very strategic for not doing that around the time of the MET.
Cushnie, Tome & Gabriella Hearst - Elegant and wearable American glamour done right!
Simone Rocha - Some drama and experimentation!
Roland Mouret - Bowled me over from start to end.
Mugler

On the fence......

Christopher Kane - Exceptional detailing, just wish he paired it better!
Escada - I like the take on the new Escada. I think there's some potential for them to become big. It's just time to look closely at their looks and aesthetic, and push the strongest ones harder.
Mary Katrantzou - Ok collection. I looked at it again and can certainly admire her aesthetic. Let's hope you'll get back to basics for the next one!
Peter Pilotto - Colours and silhouettes look great, but could do with more creative elements.
Julian Macdonald - It feels great to see such diversity in London. Unapologetically sexy and glamorous, but a bit too much like Balmain's ugly stepsister.
Jil Sander - So so, loved pieces here and there, but no a defined enough collection.

Meh, but I'll give you a pass...

Eckhaus Latta - Their 'off' collection, hopefully they'll be back in top form for Winter!
Mansur Gavriel - Loved his unique direction of heavier pieces for summer while everyone else was throwing out more hues than the Color Run. But as a whole something was missing.
Coach - I like that Vevers once again drilled home his new codes for Coach, but hated the lack of coherence.
Matty Bovan - Textbook London in terms of sensibility, would like to see it him tackle another subject matter.
Ferragamo - Keen to see how they'll expand with the rebranding.
Gucci - Michele need to slowly work his way out of this maximalism trend because it will cave down on him like a pack of card. I saw some exit strategies in this collection. Fine tune them, now!
Anrealage

What happened?????

Gareth Pugh - Whatever that was, shut it down!
Armani - A collection which strongest point was the colours.
Badgley & Mischka - It was their 30th anniversary. Expected something grand, maybe even comprehensive. Their clientele don't live for hype and trends, so a collection updating some of their key looks would've been great.
Molly Goddard - Everywhere I turn I see her name, but the clothes doesnt live up to the hype.
Prabal Gurung -
Rodarte - Looked like a parody of fashion. They';ve definitely lost their mojo
Marc Jacobs - Campy, tacky, corny. Actually, I'm beginning to believe Marc would be a great fit at Moschino.
Chalayan - Gives new meaning to the term 'going through the motions'
Richard Quinn - Too scattered.
Oscar De La Renta - I worry about them. There's not enough to keep the existing clientele happy, and not enough to draw new ones.
Andreas Kronthaler :sick: for Vivienne Westwood - Cliched!
Isabel Marant

Of course it was irrelevant....
Philip Plein
Altuzarra - Like I said, 'always the bridesmaid'....
Brandon Maxwell - Lazy, contrived, perfect fodder for a boutique in Texas!
Off White > Pyer Moss > Kanye West - Birds of a feather
Michael Kors - Desperate for millennial dollars!
Jeremy Scott
Dior
Temperley
Tod's
Dolce & Gabbana
Balmain
Elie Saab

Not invested enough to care!
Burberry
Proenza Schouler
Saint Laurent and all their clones which among others includes Celine and Redemption
Anna Sui
Alexa Chung
Louis Vuitton
Chanel
Victoria Beckham
Dries van Noten
Chloe
Givenchy
Calvin Klein
John Galliano
Prada

BEST
1. Tom Ford
Leave it to Tom to offer timeless bourgeois dressing without gimmicks that don't come off as boring.
2. J.W. Anderson
Playful yet wearable cuts are rare in this day and age
3. Paco Rabanne
The clashing of identities, and globetrotting fashion at its finest
4. Fendi
The new (and yet, old) Prada.
5. Thom Browne
Thought-provoking fashion that takes me back to the heyday of McQueen.
6. Marc Jacobs
Drama and more drama. Kill me but I think his injection of couture grandiosity is better than Pierpaolo's
7. Delpozo
Hey Pierpaolo, this is how you translate codes of couture to ready-to-wear.
8. Dries Van Noten
Modern Workwear through the lens of Couture done in the most exquisite way
9. Molly Goddard
Another british talent that has successfully offered remarkable, easy day separates. Need some finesse with regards to evening looks, but this girl is going places
10. Haider Ackermann
A cleaner, sleeker take on unisex clothing. What Celine under Slimane should look like.

HONORABLE MENTION
Givenchy
This one is a grower. I still can't get behind the 3d-floral printed evening dresses, but the looks that demonstrate a series of tailored leather jackets or blazers tucked in high-waisted trousers signifies a promising identity that, if she plays her cards right, could be a turning point for her tenure at this house. I'd say, focus more on tailoring as this is something that the house of Givenchy hasn't really developed under Tisci.

without looking through everything again, I honestly cant remember a collection. and this is always a bad sign.
I liked chloe and paco rabanne, because they were "different" . not that much of wooza,but good and different enough in this mediocrity of SS19
fashion bores me too death since few seasons. my eyes want to see something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessRW
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->