Yves Saint Laurent On Tom Ford

ebowleg

Reaction score
Yves Saint Laurent on Tom Ford: talent for marketing, not for YSL

PARIS (AFP) - Yves Saint Laurent spoke out about Tom Ford, telling Women's Wear Daily that while the outgoing YSL ready-to-wear designer was a marketing genius, his ideas never reflected the spirit of the label.

"It was only Saint Laurent in name but not in its vitality," the legendary French couturier told the US fashion industry publication. "His fashion was contrary to Yves Saint Laurent."

"I think he has a lot of talent for, what do you call it, marketing. But he never showed interest in the archives," Saint Laurent said of Ford, who will unveil his final YSL collection on March 7.

The French designer, who never forged close ties with Ford, told WWD that the American's successor "must know perfectly what I've done and at what moment I did it," adding that finding such a person would be no small task.

"Everyone's looking for the rare bird. I don't know if he is alive, or if he is still alive," Saint Laurent said, refusing to name any names.

In the wide-ranging interview with WWD, Saint Laurent bemoaned the state of haute couture, saying: "Couture is dead. There are no longer women to wear it. It's become something else."

"I've never seen anything good. I think, without pretension, that this metier ended with me," he added.

Since Saint Laurent closed his couture house, he said he has seen "frightening things" in the glossy magazines, "even in Vogue".

"The sadomasochism -- it became unbearable," he added.

According to the Frenchman, the only designer "who had talent and force" was Claude Montana, but "he burned his brain with narcotics and he is incapable of doing anything today."

As for John Galliano, chief designer for Christian Dior womenswear and a media darling like Ford, Saint Laurent said he has "the genius of showmanship" but "there is too much costume, too much theater" in his collections and shows.

Saint Laurent said that while he still dreams up designs in his head, he does not regret leaving the business as he is "fragile" and has to "lead a peaceful life."

The Pierre Berge-Yves Saint Laurent Foundation, created after the closure of the YSL haute couture house in October 2002, will open on March 10 with a show entitled "Yves Saint Laurent and his art", set to run through July 18.

More than 40 ensembles created by the legendary French designer will be on display, along with the works of art that inspired him, by the likes of Piet Mondrian, Pablo Picasso and Andy Warhol. :innocent:

I know that we should respect our elders, but Mr. Saint Laurent kind of comes off as an ***hole, please excuse me language. Although some may agree with his views on fashion, one has to realize that fashion seems to mold with the times. Maybe Mr. Saint Laurent is stuck in a time warp or something...Tell me what you think :innocent:

Originally posted by ebowleg@Feb 28th, 2004 - 3:33 pm
I know that we should respect our elders, but Mr. Saint Laurent kind of comes off as an ***hole, please excuse me language. Although some may agree with his views on fashion, one has to realize that fashion seems to mold with the times. Maybe Mr. Saint Laurent is stuck in a time warp or something...Tell me what you think :innocent:
Actually , I have to disagree with you on this . Yves MAY be behind the times in many ways , but he is concerned for his eponymous house and obviously wants someone of the calibre of , say , Lee McQueen to succeed him .

Tom Ford has done a brilliant job of rescuing the house from delapidation , but imho his designs there have not lived up to the best of Yves - Tom Ford is a brilliant stylist , not an innovative designer like Yves at his greatest .

Yves is also right about the Couture , as very few clients remain to keep the couture houses going and Yves retirement marked their death-knell , I feel . How many couture outfits will Galliano sell at Dior , despite the wondrously spectacular runway show ?

How ironic that I posted an article on Claude Montana only this evening on TFS and I am sorry to hear what Yves says about him - I wondered why Claude had disappeared from sight .

Thank you for posting this article , which I find MOST interesting . :heart:

KIT

i would like to sit in a paris garden holding monsieur st laurent's hand and weep with him for the death of couture... :cry:

I've just come from the couture exhibit at FIT and it brought me to tears...i had never seen REAL chanel like that before-none of the tweed suits that are so hyped and over exposed, but dresses in the lightest wisp of silk chiffon. madame gres and lanvin...i had shivers in every part of my body and i lament the demise of these kinds of clothes...i cannot describe to you in any way that will do the designs justice what it felt like to walk into that room...and each time you thought you had seen the best, you turned to find something else equally stunning and breathtaking...actually breath-taking...stunning...dresses and gowns that have no equal in any of today's collection...AND ALL DESIGNED BY WOMEN!!!

if you have read any of my comments in other threads, you will know that i wholeheartedly agree with monsieur st laurent. to hear him say the same things i have been crying out, only fortifies my point of view. I'M GLAD HE SAID IT!!!

the montana thing is one of fashion's great tragedies-he also lost his wife when she killed herself by leaping from a window...a very unstable couple...very sad...i still miss him :flower:

maybe some of the big design houses should take a look at the talented women working in the business-it seems they would have some strong insight into the psyche of the customer which should be given strong consideration...look at prada, marni, chloe, jil sander...i think we need a better balance of points of view...and i think we need actual designers, rather than figure heads... :innocent:

so say i... :innocent:

Originally posted by slinky_vagabond@Feb 28th, 2004 - 7:02 pm
softgrey, that was really moving. :cry:
slinky vagabond-i actually cried. :unsure: ..i'm afraid that we've missed something really special that will never be again...i just keep hoping for the best because fashion is an evolving business and we are the future...if we want it badly enough, maybe together we can bring it back to some semblance of greatness...we have to support the really talented designers/artists. it will have to be an actual movement, though-similar to what the Belgians did in the 90's and what the Japanese did in the 80's. the english have been trying and trying but it's not working somehow...

i wish i had the answer, but i can feel the changes coming... :heart:
i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Originally posted by kit@Feb 28th, 2004 - 6:33 pm

How ironic that I posted an article on Claude Montana only this evening on TFS and I am sorry to hear what Yves says about him - I wondered why Claude had disappeared from sight .

kit-where is the thread with the article you postedon montana-I'd love to read it-i'm a huge fan...thx :flower:

Also in an interview with WWD:

WWD: Saint Laurent, will you ever feel at peace with yourself?
YSL: No. I’m inhabited by the devil.

YSL is in a class all by himself.

Originally posted by softgrey@Feb 29th, 2004 - 12:59 am
i would like to sit in a paris garden holding monsieur st laurent's hand and weep with him for the death of couture... :cry:

I've just come from the couture exhibit at FIT and it brought me to tears...i had never seen REAL chanel like that before-none of the tweed suits that are so hyped and over exposed, but dresses in the lightest wisp of silk chiffon. madame gres and lanvin...i had shivers in every part of my body and i lament the demise of these kinds of clothes...i cannot describe to you in any way that will do the designs justice what it felt like to walk into that room...and each time you thought you had seen the best, you turned to find something else equally stunning and breathtaking...actually breath-taking...stunning...dresses and gowns that have no equal in any of today's collection...AND ALL DESIGNED BY WOMEN!!!

if you have read any of my comments in other threads, you will know that i wholeheartedly agree with monsieur st laurent. to hear him say the same things i have been crying out, only fortifies my point of view. I'M GLAD HE SAID IT!!!

the montana thing is one of fashion's great tragedies-he also lost his wife when she killed herself by leaping from a window...a very unstable couple...very sad...i still miss him :flower:

maybe some of the big design houses should take a look at the talented women working in the business-it seems they would have some strong insight into the psyche of the customer which should be given strong consideration...look at prada, marni, chloe, jil sander...i think we need a better balance of points of view...and i think we need actual designers, rather than figure heads... :innocent:

so say i... :innocent:
i so agree 100%!!! :cry:

and i will neevr forget how i had dinner with claude montanas wife 1 week before she threw herself from her appartment.. since then Claude gone mad :(

i wish ther is ONE designer doing GOOD to these already exisitng fashion HOUSES..
its time to employ 'not so famous' designers who can at least think fresh and not be hot headed from the beginning :doh:

Originally posted by leyla m.@Feb 28th, 2004 - 9:24 pm

and i will neevr forget how i had dinner with claude montanas wife 1 week before she threw herself from her appartment.. since then Claude gone mad :(

:
oh my god-leyla-how difficult that must have been for you?! :o

how sad :cry:

I so agree with him about tom ford, yves created modern clotehs for reall women, but still chic. tom ford makes sexed up objective clothes.

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Feb 28th, 2004 - 11:41 pm
I so agree with him about tom ford, yves created modern clotehs for reall women, but still chic. tom ford makes sexed up objective clothes.
exactly my sentiments

I think the main designer in my opinion doing good to already existing fashion houses is nicky g for balenciaga. I do wholeheartedly agree with what yves said about galliano. His stuff is incredible, but its not really wearable.

Originally posted by softgrey+Feb 28th, 2004 - 8:00 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Feb 28th, 2004 - 8:00 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-kit@Feb 28th, 2004 - 6:33 pm

kit-where is the thread with the article you postedon montana-I'd love to read it-i'm a huge fan...thx :flower: [/b][/quote]
I agree ABSOLUTELY on EVERYTHING you have said , softgrey :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

You will find the link to the article in ' Personal Style ' under the thread about the British fashion journalist Charlie Porter .

It says EVERYTHING about this genius of cut . B)

KIT B)

While I understand that YSL Rive Gauche does not live up to the glory of Yves Saint Laurent in his heyday, I would LOVE to know who has done a better job at accomplishing the revitilization of a house while maintaining the original aesthetic?

Sure, some of the collections could be called gimmick-y or lack the innovation of Yves himself, but Galliano at Dior does NOT remind me of the original work of Dior AT ALL. I don't think that a turn-of-the-century Vuitton would have turned out white suitcases with rainbow lettering and cartoon characters. And although I love the revivals of Lanvin and Balenciaga and Rochas and even Nina Ricci...the clothes have to sell in order for the house to survive.

It's not just about design; at the end of the day, it's about the bottom line. And if anyone should know that, it's Yves Saint Laurent.

Originally posted by mikeijames@Feb 29th, 2004 - 9:42 am

It's not just about design; at the end of the day, it's about the bottom line. And if anyone should know that, it's Yves Saint Laurent.

:innocent: they have to sell-true enough...but to make that statement about ysl seems odd...he is the last one who never cared about the bottom line...he cared about fashion... :flower:

as far as anyone else living up to the former glory of the house they've been appointed to...i think some of us have already said that there isn't anyone..which really sucks, but because tom is the best of a bad bunch...doesn't automatically make him good...some of us just want more... :ninja:

Sure, some of the collections could be called gimmick-y or lack the innovation of Yves himself, but Galliano at Dior does NOT remind me of the original work of Dior AT ALL. I don't think that a turn-of-the-century Vuitton would have turned out white suitcases with rainbow lettering and cartoon characters. And although I love the revivals of Lanvin and Balenciaga and Rochas and even Nina Ricci...the clothes have to sell in order for the house to survive.

Well put... :wink:

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Feb 28th, 2004 - 11:41 pm
I totally disagree. Many may feel that Mr. Ford wasn't true to the house and all of that, but there is one thing he was true to. If you think about it, Tom Ford and Mr. Saint Laurent designed for the smae woman so to speak. Both designed for a woman who is strong, confident, powerful but still femenine.....To me, they seem to have very similar ideas of what a woman can and should be. No, mabye Mr. Ford's designs didn't match up to the YSL woman, but I feel that his asthetic fit the house perfectly.

I'm curious, why do so many fashion "purists" feel that if a designer who is appointed to a legendary house, does not stick to the "template" of what the original designer created, they are doing a bad job? The beauty is that with each new designer comes a new perspective on what that house represents. Besides, isn't the whole point of fashion to constantly evolve rather then stay in one place?

thanks kit...that was a cute little piece...i'm glad yves is happy...he seems like such a tortured soul.... :flower: :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
konster
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->