Zara F/W 2021.22 by Steven Meisel

Armani

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is obviously by Meisel, but I’ll wait for an official confirmation before updating the thread title.

credit for all photos: zara
Precious Lee:
ECA4ABEB-98F2-424F-BF29-5F4AB6B917D1.jpeg F60A8974-DDB3-4DD5-B3EB-2E4328BE038E.jpeg

Meadow Walker:
9D24A7B2-C307-4C91-B581-72503B2B18AD.jpeg 6D3375AA-9D76-48D0-A71A-29759C3C2D3B.jpeg

Kirsten Owen:
0FDFAE05-6608-4E89-9C56-280D9CE27785.jpeg 0667AE95-4CEA-423B-8746-12502F451B70.jpeg

Yumi Nu:
9F011D17-D3B2-4B21-997E-6BBAF1A7FE0D.jpeg 6C3A7187-96BB-403E-9C05-945318430C3F.jpeg

Rianne van Rompaey:
5EE61C16-42CD-42FE-AF59-0548562F4A13.jpeg E2638C19-02F3-4211-AF1E-77CFEF627278.jpeg

Marisa Berenson:
F1389B1C-632F-49A0-8B68-7145DCED306C.jpeg 3F6553B4-EC64-4B9E-9E7B-7EB6DF1485A9.jpeg

Sasha Pivovarova:
018395B9-A4E7-44AF-BF2A-5C9835F8516F.jpeg 163F6C34-2123-49E0-96BA-BC6BE0F8FE02.jpeg

Amar Akway:
CBF6D310-A989-422F-BCDC-FC215F6F8BDB.jpeg 7189A5A4-8B2D-477E-BC1A-94323C94ED43.jpeg

Chiharu Okunugi:
E351089B-B9BF-4B1A-96EF-AF44A32961A3.jpeg F6841A7B-75E6-4002-BE21-01FB1739810F.jpeg

Raquel Zimmermann:
D082A15F-F888-4EF3-BC12-15E6A39C42F4.jpeg BADBE4DD-1B2D-4376-B08A-C2D3C9D07081.jpeg

If it weren't for Kirsten and Marisa, I would have assumed this was by Karim Sadli or Chris Colls (I don't necessarily mean that in a good way). But given the cast, I'll assume it was [shot remotely] by Meisel.

On a positive note, it's wonderful to see Kirsten, Sasha and Raquel by Meisel again, even if the result isn't particularly exciting.

Love the cast, even (Semi)Precious Lee looks good here, but, of course, I am not surprised at all that even Sasha, Marisa, Chiharu or Kirsten fall secondary to Raquel, she totally outshines everybody else here and by a long shot. Shocked, but Rianne has the worst photos here. Steve, Ri, what the hell are those?

Photographer: Steven Meisel
Art Director: Fabien Baron
Film Director: Fabien Baron
Stylist: Karl Templer
Hair Stylist: Guido Palau
Make-up Artist: Pat McGrath
Models: Sasha Pivovarova, Rianne Van Rompaey, Kirsten Owen, Raquel Zimmerman, Precious Lee, Marisa Berenson, Chiharu Okunugi, Yumi Nu, Amar Akway, Meadow Walker

Incredibly good! And it's so nice to see Kirsten being shot by Meisel again! :heart:

Also, I am loving for the close-up shots of Raquel and Precious. Stunning! I know it's an overused word but whatever. It's the only adjective I can think of that perfectly describes those shots. :heart:

Kind of shocking that a brand like Zara continues to produce campaigns that look more desirable, refined, and frankly far more expensive than many of the "luxury" houses. Not all of these images work, but several of them are spectacular and this cast is a dream.

Marisa’s close up looks very Avedon-ish!

The close-ups are exceptional. The others shots are kind of hits and misses (I’m not a fan of Raquel’s full shot).

Kind of shocking that a brand like Zara continues to produce campaigns that look more desirable, refined, and frankly far more expensive than many of the "luxury" houses. Not all of these images work, but several of them are spectacular and this cast is a dream.
Not really shocking. Luxury houses don’t have to play into that « perception » idea.
Zara wants to sell the packaging of luxury when luxury houses can allow itself to deviate from that because the construction of their prestige goes beyond those elements.

What I think is fabulous about having Baron involved is that now, ZARA has more cachet than any other commercial brand. It’s mass but it’s a little bit more prestigious than the others.

I mean, they're fabulous, but I want something new from Meisel.

Yes to everything! SO GOOD to see Sasha and Raquel under Meisel lens again :wub:. Precious looks breathtaking and glad to see Chiharu too!

Not really shocking. Luxury houses don’t have to play into that « perception » idea.
Zara wants to sell the packaging of luxury when luxury houses can allow itself to deviate from that because the construction of their prestige goes beyond those elements.

What I think is fabulous about having Baron involved is that now, ZARA has more cachet than any other commercial brand. It’s mass but it’s a little bit more prestigious than the others.

I disagree. Luxury houses absolutely have to rely on the perception they're prestigious to stay profitable and most are actively trying to play into that in their campaigns. In many cases, there's a huge disconnect between quality and price-point and desirability. The infamous $5,000+ Chanel t-shirt, for example exists only for that reason. Defective/sloppily constructed $8,000 handbags also from Chanel indicate that some Luxury houses maintain their status and stay in the black not through consistent quality and honest value but because they're able to sell the image and bank on perception. The couture at this point often feels like nothing more than a front to be able to sell accessories and fragrances. So-called Luxury houses are in a mad rush to be seen on the influencer set because they want to maintain the perception among the public that the wealthiest among us favor their brand. It's fun when those brands take creative risks and go in a different direction in their campaigns, but by and large they're actively trying to play into the perception and present their brand as synonymous with a lifestyle of luxury.

Zara, unlike most of its affordable peers, from an advertising standpoint, is competing in the same arena as the Luxe brands. They're hiring the best photographers, the best models, the best makeup artists, stylists, etc. And it's not just one aesthetic. Their S/S and F/W campaigns this year are dramatically different, yet both are phenomenal and put most others to shame. Even someone completely unfamiliar with various brands, when presented with ad campaigns, could likely easily distinguish which is more of a luxury brand based on the aesthetics. However I would be willing to bet they would mistakenly be putting a brand like Zara at or above the level of brands 10x/20x/etc. more expensive if they were looking at the S/S and F/W campaigns from this year. As you say, Zara has more cachet and prestige than other commercial brands, and surely the strength of their advertising is a part of that. In other words, they’re producing fairly ordinary, affordable, mass-market clothes but producing campaigns that sell them as more than that. The sequin top Sasha is wearing is under $100 and not really anything special but to my unprofessional eye if I saw the ad and someone told me it was Chanel and several thousand dollars, I’d believe it because Zara is playing the game better. They're exposing luxury brands by so easily replicating the kind of image those brands fight to maintain. And most of the other mass-market brands aren't even part of the conversation.

Last edited:
I disagree. Luxury houses absolutely have to rely on the perception they're prestigious to stay profitable and most are actively trying to play into that in their campaigns. In many cases, there's a huge disconnect between quality and price-point and desirability. The infamous $5,000+ Chanel t-shirt, for example exists only for that reason. Defective/sloppily constructed $8,000 handbags also from Chanel indicate that some Luxury houses maintain their status and stay in the black not through consistent quality and honest value but because they're able to sell the image and bank on perception. The couture at this point often feels like nothing more than a front to be able to sell accessories and fragrances. So-called Luxury houses are in a mad rush to be seen on the influencer set because they want to maintain the perception among the public that the wealthiest among us favor their brand. It's fun when those brands take creative risks and go in a different direction in their campaigns, but by and large they're actively trying to play into the perception and present their brand as synonymous with a lifestyle of luxury.

Zara, unlike most of its affordable peers, from an advertising standpoint, is competing in the same arena as the Luxe brands. They're hiring the best photographers, the best models, the best makeup artists, stylists, etc. And it's not just one aesthetic. Their S/S and F/W campaigns this year are dramatically different, yet both are phenomenal and put most others to shame. Even someone completely unfamiliar with various brands, when presented with ad campaigns, could likely easily distinguish which is more of a luxury brand based on the aesthetics. However I would be willing to bet they would mistakenly be putting a brand like Zara at or above the level of brands 10x/20x/etc. more expensive if they were looking at the S/S and F/W campaigns from this year. As you say, Zara has more cachet and prestige than other commercial brands, and surely the strength of their advertising is a part of that. In other words, they’re producing fairly ordinary, affordable, mass-market clothes but producing campaigns that sell them as more than that. The sequin top Sasha is wearing is under $100 and not really anything special but to my unprofessional eye if I saw the ad and someone told me it was Chanel and several thousand dollars, I’d believe it because Zara is playing the game better. They're exposing luxury brands by so easily replicating the kind of image those brands fight to maintain. And most of the other mass-market brands aren't even part of the conversation.

I get what you are saying but maybe I should have said « luxury brands doesn’t have to produce campaigns that are desirable, refined or more glamorous because the construction of their prestige goes beyond those elements ».

It’s a reality. They can book Juergen Teller to shoot at a construction site around Paris and maintain their prestige. They can book the same person to shoot a campaign in a forest with the starring act looking lost with greasy hair…
Beyond the campaigns, they have a lot of others elements to project the idea of luxury, even if it’s to sell a 500/900€ tshirt.

Zara can imitate the codes of luxury, they can appropriate some codes of luxury because they wants their customers to value their products in the same way they value designers stuff. Zara’s clothes can compete with a lot of fashion brands and since in our modern times, luxury has became the word to describe fashion, it’s only fair for them to compete with the same weapon.

But don’t get it wrong. The Chanel and Vuitton can afford to present a less refined aesthetic because they have spent decades polishing their prestige and they have, from store design, to packaging, marketing strategies and products, a big machine to never loses their luster.

Zara as great as it is in a way cannot afford to have a non-polished communication for the type of products and audience they are reaching.

A fashion savy customer, at any price point is sensible to that.

Love the cast, even (Semi)Precious Lee looks good here, but, of course, I am not surprised at all that even Sasha, Marisa, Chiharu or Kirsten fall secondary to Raquel, she totally outshines everybody else here and by a long shot. Shocked, but Rianne has the worst photos here. Steve, Ri, what the hell are those?
ROFL (Semi)Precious. So true.

Why does she have to act like a drag queen in the video? It's so tacky. Subtlety and nuance are clearly not her strength. Very ham.

Anyway, Zara consistently bringing great fashion imagery to the table. It's very nice. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's chic and stylish and everyone looks pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtdrone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->