1905-1957 Christian Dior

Picture orginally posted by stilettogirl84 in now moved post www.metmuseum.org

hb_C.jpg

oh my, these clothes are so beautiful!! thanks so much for posting, FashionJunkie, you made my day. karma!

My pleasure liberty33r1b:flower: . I'm a huge Dior:heart: fan. I wish though, i could find more pics of his work:( .

Quick, fashion dummy question: These dresses donated by socialites and rich women, are they 100% sole copies, pure haute couture, or does the house have copies of each one in the archives? :unsure:

^I'm not 100% sure about that but i don't think they have other copies. The designs yes, but actual dresses no.

Christian Dior at work

1071lgpz6.jpg

Bar suit from the New Look collection, 1947 and Drawing of the New Look silhouette.

1072lgxx1.jpg
1073lgbf5.jpg

(from Christian Dior archives, designmuseum.org)

The new H Line, 1954 and the Y Line dress, autumn/winter 1955-56

1077lgnx9.jpg
1079lgeh5.jpg

Haute couture collection, autumn/winter 1953 and Haute couture collection, autumn/winter 1955-56

1078lgkj9.jpg
10710lghl0.jpg

Dior at work on a sketch

10712lgnq6.jpg

Dior on the cover of Time magazine, 1957

10711lgbu5.jpg

the best thing about monsieur Dior is the fact that even though he wasnt the most talented designer of his generation, he had a very revolutionary vision for the women of his time and he knew how to market his work in ways others didnt :wink:

thanks for the great archive pics posted and for editing and redirecting all the Galliano discussion

Can someone tell me what would be the best Dior book on the market to buy? I'd love to find a book with high quality pictures / illustrations of his work, not a biography.

Yimi said:
He was a designer
and the best in his epoque so his life should be fulled
of parties, exquisite things,
pretty boys,
cool sustances...
and all the things that only famous people
eat, feel, have.. etc

Ee. You know, this kind of grates on me, because it portrays a very unhealthy image of people who are designers, or just rich, wealthy and famous ... well, I mean, seriously, not every single one of them people will regularly take part in wine-brandy-and-other-hard-liquor-chugging frenzies, wild orgies with members of any sex, and sniffing unidentifiable substances. Yes, even the rich ones. Not all them do. Serious. Really. Not kidding.

Anyway, I personally love Dior's work because he wasn't afraid of reviving the constricted feminine figure - the hourglass figure, in an exaggerated and yet flowing, elegant form - it was amazing how he could actually successfully envision for the New Look (which, I read in a book on Dior's work, was a name given to the refreshingly female silhouette he introduced by articles published after its launch - i.e. Dior didn't name it the New Look but instead the media did) a look that women actually missed and wanted. I read in the book that as the outfits were shown with their full, wide skirts that were virtually sweeping the ground, many females sitting among the audience watching the clothes started to "pull at their own skirts", possibly finding their own outfits inadequate compared to the pieces Dior was showing. That was it - the New Look became the all-new desire of young women who wanted to wear more revolutionary and statement-making clothes. I believe many older women were so unhappy with it that they not only protested, but some even accosted younger women who sported the New Look, catching them on the streets, pulling their hair and ripping their full skirts, literally tearing them off.

If there was a designer who could make women fight among themselves, it's Dior. Who can then deny the influence, the sheer power that Dior's work exudes? Who can then deny the designer's major role in revolutionising twentieth century fashion? Who can deny that he is, even perhaps without Galliano's work, among the biggest names in fashion? Simply put, who can deny that he is a great designer?

Fire up all that dresses with kerosen...

EdanChrysler said:
who can deny that he is a great designer?

Nobody, nobody, nodboy
can deny that he was a great designer
who could do it?
:bunny:
but dont forget that he was a human
into a sauvage world​

Wow I love seeing him at work! Are there any more sketches he did?

Ohh these clothes made me envious of women! I really want to see them in person though.

JJohnson said:
Wow I love seeing him at work! Are there any more sketches he did?
I'll try to find more JJ. It's quite difficult, such a shame though:(

another pic of venus dress from 1949

thecityreview

Attachments

• venusbychristiandior1949.jpg
    venusbychristiandior1949.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 28

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member