Agi Akur

There are literally dozens of backstage shots of her from Alberta Ferretti. Just had to post a few more. :heart:

*livingly

THE NEW FACES OF IMG GET WIGGY WITH IT -
DazedDigital - 17 Oct 2019

1278136.jpg

AGI AKURPHOTOGRAPHY CAMILLE MOMPACH, HAIR SADEK L.
AGI AKUR

Can you tell us a bit about yourself and where you live?

Agi Akur: My name is Agi, I am a 23-year-old Australian-born model of Sudanese descent.

When do you feel most beautiful?

Agi Akur: When I’m expressing my own wants, needs, and desires. Walking down the runway in a look selected to be worn by me gives me such motivation.

Favourite model, living or dead and why?

Agi Akur: Alek Wek – she’s a huge inspiration! As a fellow South Sudanese model, and woman of colour it was so refreshing to see African beauty represented within the fashion media growing up. Her charity work has helped many people in the refugee camps in Sudan, my family included.

If you could commit a crime and get away with it, what would it be and why?

Agi Akur: If I were to commit a crime and get away with it? I probably wouldn’t tell anyone… but I’d sleep in a public place. I enjoy myself a good nap so why not nap somewhere it’s prohibited?

It’s the year 2121. Climate change has caused all humans to genetically mutate. Would you rather have two heads or four eyes?

Agi Akur: I’d probably choose two heads so I can watch my own back. That’s only if the second head is facing the other way. Wait… would it have a mind of its own? That would give life itself a whole new meaning. I’d choose four eyes.

Oyster Mag
Meet The Model: Australian Obsession Agi Akur

That glow!
1 year ago
Text by Hayley Morgan

IMG_9327-1024x683.jpg

Agi Akur is absolutely the pride of Australian fashion right now — soon to be global, no doubt about it. After modelling for just one year, she took this season’s MBFWA by total storm, making her runway debut for opening designer Aje. After that, we counted her walking 14 shows. A living legend, Agi is the one! We’re very obsessed with this Kenyan beauty, with her glorious glowing face and posture so perfect, we had to get to know her stat.

Name: Agi Akur

Where were you born and where are you now?
I was born in Kakuma refugee camp, my parents had walked there from Kenya. I was raised in Adelaide, and am currently based in Sydney, Australia.

How did you get to where you are?
I got to Australia on a refugees humanitarian visa. It wasn’t easy, but I’m so grateful to be here.

Outside of modelling, what are you good at?
I’m interested in a few things from creative styling to video creation and acting.

agi-akur-oystermag-1-1024x567.jpg

1: Georgia Alice blazer and shirt, Perks and Mini shorts, Acne Studios turtleneck and pants, Sener Besim eyewear, 2: Perks and Mini jacket, Acne Studios turtleneck, 3: Dion Lee pants, Adidas Socks and shoes, Acne Studios shirt and beanie, Jarred Beeler print as background

What do you wish you were better at?

I wish I was a better actress — I have a lot of respect for the craft and am genuinely interested in pushing myself and improving.

Inside of modelling, how do you overcome the difficult stuff — comparing yourself to others at castings, overcoming rejection and these negative things that are quite common in the industry?
Embracing my cultural background, and generally accepting the rejection that comes with being in the industry. I constantly remind myself that we’re all imperfect human beings and that I have to embrace who I am and the way I present myself. At the end of the day, brands have to choose someone who best represents their image and helps them sell. You have to celebrate the wins and remind yourself that you are good enough.

What things do you do to make sure you’re mentally and physically healthy?
Working out and drinking lots of tea! Meditation and journaling also really help me realign and express myself.

Do you think there is enough awareness of physical and mental health in the industry? Are there any people or figures you look to for leadership on these fronts?
There needs to be more talk about mental health in the industry. There are many factors that go into it and the industry can leave you lost if you go into it without direction or someone to express yourself to. Mental health is something that needs to be tackled on a large scale and I think more education around coping would really help.
agi-akur-oystermag-2-1024x567.jpg

Maroske Peech dress, Acne Studios beanie, Adidas shoes, stylist's own socks

What’s the most important thing to you right now?
The support network I’ve built around me including family and loved ones. They help me get through the tougher days.

How has that changed over the last couple of years?
I have learnt the importance of inclusivity, especially of those I care for.

Which parts of yourself do you love the most?
Learning new things and developing my mind.

What do you wish you weren’t obsessed with right now, why?
Nothing right now – although I’m sure that won’t last for long.
agi-akur-oystermag-3-1024x567.jpg

1. Perks and Mini shirt and jacket, Prada skirt, Acne Studios turtleneck and pants, Adidas socks and shoes. 2. Holiday the Label dress and pants, Adidas socks and shoes, Acne Studios scarf

Who did you last call, and what was it about?
My manager.

The last song you listened to?
Burna Boy.

The last place you drove?
My Uber to work.

The last time you cried?
Missing someone close to me.

The last time you met someone who changed you? Who and how?
There are so many people that have come into my life and taught me lessons both positive and negative.

If you could live inside any film, which would it be and why?
That’s a hard one – I don’t watch enough movies to really make a sound decision, but I do love the MCU films.

Do you have a favourite fashion designer?
Love and respect all of them.

A favourite collection?
I wouldn’t say I have a favourite collection either as my taste keeps changing with the times.

What’s your dream gig?
A Versace campaign – It’s my dream to work with that brand.
agi-akur-oystermag-4-1024x567.jpg

1: Pelvis scarf, CNY x Pelvis hoodie, 2: Moncler hood, POMS eyewear

What’s the toughest thing so far about your journey in being a model?
Working on insecurities and achieving self-love.

And the best bit?
This past Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia, and how it will impact my career moving forward

Are you saving up for anything at the moment?
For nothing in particular right now, but so that I can live comfortably in future.

If you could change the world, how would you do it?
I’d do something in the education space to encourage more understanding and acceptance between different groups of people in hopes of reducing conflict.
agi-akur-oystermag-5-1024x567.jpg

1.:Dion Lee pants, Adidas Socks and shoes, Acne Studios shirt and beanie, Jarred Beeler print worn around body, 2: Romance Was Born dress, Acne Studios shirt, 3: Georgia Alice blazer and shirt, Perks and Mini shorts, Acne Studios turtleneck and pants, Sener Besim eyewear

photography and fashion Charlotte Agnew, creative direction and art design Jarred Beeler, hair Cain Ireland, make-up Colette Miller, photography assistant Will Bennet, fashion assistant Katherine Rose, make-up assistant Rose Letho, model Agi @ IMG. Shot at Sam and Thom’s
credit: oystermag

Meet the South Sudanese Rising Star Model Who’s Looking to Make a Difference
BY JANELLE OKWODU
March 18, 2020
agi-chloe-post.jpg

Agi Akur on the runway at Chloé’s fall/winter 2020 showPhoto: Getty Images

For new models, Paris Fashion Week can be a trial by fire, but Agi Akur took it all in stride. The 23-year-old beauty was on a roll during the fall/winter 2020 collections, racking up some of the biggest shows on the calendar. A commanding presence at Alexander McQueen, Givenchy, Valentino, and Saint Laurent, Akur emerged as one of the month’s standouts. Scouted on the streets of Adelaide, Australia, in 2018, Akur signed to IMG Models shortly after that. A self-proclaimed introvert, she credits her newfound career with expanding her horizons. “You get a chance to work with some amazing clients, meet interesting people, and sometimes see yourself displayed on billboards or in stores. It’s an interesting feeling, [but] hard to articulate,” she shared postseason. “For me, there are moments of happiness and celebration, spread between all the rejection, hard work, and patience.”

McQUeen.jpg

Photo: Filippo Fior / Gorunway.com

She was born in Kakuma, a Kenyan refugee camp, but Akur’s family originally hails from South Sudan. Though she has yet to visit the nation, Akur feels a link to its communities, thanks to her mother and father. “I’m at the age where my soul is yearning to connect more to my roots. Most of what I’ve learned about South Sudan has been through my mother, as I’ve never been myself,” she explains. “I migrated to Australia when I was eight years old. It was easier to assimilate because I was young. I’d say it’s more my parents’ story, but [it’s] ingrained in me. I was born in Kakuma, so that’s all I knew until I left.”

Akur’s early experiences inform her current outlook. Eager to use her fashion platform to raise awareness about the issues migrants face, she cites supermodel Alek Wek as an example of how to use the industry to advance altruistic causes. “I have a special place in my heart for her; she has done a lot for migrants and has donated to the camp in Kakuma. I’m inspired by her impact and will try my hand at the same when my time comes,” she says. “There’s a lot of amazing and hardworking people that have come from there, which inspires me every day. Being able to see people who look like me accomplish great things is incredible.”

Valentino.jpg

Photo: Isidore Montag / Gorunway.com

While there’s little doubt that Akur’s accomplishments will one day inspire the next generation, for the moment she’s taking it one day at a time, dealing with the highs and the lows as they come. “The most challenging thing is the instability that comes with working in this industry,” she says. “You never know when you’re going to have to fly out [at the] last minute for a job. The experience can be lonely at times, especially if you’re away from home for long periods without knowing how long you have to stay, how much a client will like you, and whether you will end up confirming the job. It can definitely be tough!” Still, fashion month offered a few moments of magic. “When I confirmed Valentino, I was absolutely speechless, and I still kind of am!” she says. “It was an absolute dream and the most surprising experience so far. I wasn’t sure if I was the right fit for the designer, so I was a little nervous.”

Even with the nerve-wracking castings and nonstop schedule, Akur is thankful for the opportunities she’s been granted. “I take everything I do seriously, my work ethic is my best quality, and I put my best foot forward regardless of [the] client,” she says. “It’s a blessing to be able to do what I do, so if someone wants to work with me, I do my best to show them great respect and professionalism, as I hope to receive the same back. The best advice I’ve ever received is from my manager Rick Matthew at IMG. He told me to be confident and believe in myself, no matter what. You only get out of something what you put in.”
vogue.com

Marie Claire Australia October 2020

Blue Horizons

Photographer: Nicole Bentley
Set Designer: Jacqui Ives
Stylist: Naomi Smith
Hair: Koh
Makeup: Linda Jefferyes
Cast: Agi Akur

Marie Claire Australia Digital Edition

Vogue Australia October 2020

Vogue Viewpoint: Strings Attached

Photographer: Isaac Brown
Stylist: Kaila Matthews
Hair: Madison Voloshin
Makeup: Isabella Schimid
Cast: Agi Akur

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

Marie Claire Netherlands December 2020
2020-12-01 Marie Claire-2 拷貝.jpg

FLOW MOTION
2020-12-01 Marie Claire-81 拷貝.jpg 2020-12-01 Marie Claire-82 拷貝.jpg 2020-12-01 Marie Claire-83 拷貝.jpg 2020-12-01 Marie Claire-84 拷貝.jpg 2020-12-01 Marie Claire-85 拷貝.jpg 2020-12-01 Marie Claire-86 拷貝.jpg

FOTOGRAFIE NICOLE BENTLEY
STYLING NAOMI SMITH
HAAR KOH / VIVIEN’S CREATIVE
MAKE-UP LINDA JEFFERYES / THE ARTIST GROUP
MODEL AGI AKUR/IMG MODELS
SET DESIGN JACQUI IVES
PRODUCTIE JEMMA WAUD

Marie Claire Netherlands digital edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members