• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Alastair McKimm - Stylist

Alastair McKimms’s i-Deas

With what is shaping up to be a widely celebrated changing of the guard, Christopher Michael catches up with i-D’s new New York Fashion Director for a curious Q&A on his new adventure. Alastair McKimm continues to maintain his position as the fashion director of The Last Magazine, along with his other brand commitments and magazine contributions, but seems to have reserved a great amount of excitement for his new appointment. While Sarah Richardson has been crowned the global fashion director, Mr. McKimm will very much be sporting his own royal garb as her New York equivalent.

CM: How did your new position come about?

As i-D expands, there is so much content to be created, and a lot of that work involves contributors and talent in New York, so the i-D team were looking for a New York Fashion Director to head up the fashion department in the New York office. I’ve been working at i-D in some shape or form since 2001, when I started assisting Edward [Enninful] in London, before I moved to New York, so I guess that’s how it all came about!

CM: It seems to have been a natural evolution. What sort of changes will come along with this new position?

As well as my usual story and cover contributions, I’ll be involved in commissioning and coming up with creative for print and online content.

CM: Traditionally, there is a single fashion director at a magazine. What are the reasons behind having multiple fashion directors at i-D?

It’s purely due to the amount of work, and the fact that i-D is rapidly becoming a global brand. As I mentioned, i-D is growing at an incredible pace, and the online platform is huge. We’re opening an office in New York, so it makes sense to have a fashion team there. I’m really excited to be part of that.

CM: Will you be required to spend more time in London than you already do?

I’ve always been back and forth to London for work every season. I feel like the whole team will be traveling more now than ever, and I definitely intend to be in London during each issue.

CM: Are you excited about the massive online expansion taking place with the magazine?

I’m really excited about it! At the moment, the team has so much energy, and it feels like an incredible new chapter, of which I’m really proud to be part. There’s an incredible freedom to it, and I think, with the online expansion, anything is possible.

CM: What is your role in the i-D online content?

The whole team will be involved. It’s going to take an army. I’ll be styling videos and online stories, as well as coming up with collaborations, concepts and commissions.

CM: Will you be able to continue working for the other publications to which you frequently contribute?

i-D has always been a freelance magazine, and it will continue to be so. I’m still fashion director at The Last Magazine, and will contribute to other publications if and when I have time.

CM: i-D has always been the source of street culture and independent ideas on fashion. In its new incarnation, with the large focus on moving image, what do you think its role will be in the industry moving forward?

The magazine and the website will keep the style bible philosophy that i-D has championed since 1980. Digital is just a different set of tools. We plan to be at the forefront of fashion and street culture in both print and digital, working with the most exciting creative talent in fashion and film. The whole landscape is changing. Film is really exciting, and we’re finally getting a chance to access that. We’re trying to embrace it, rather than looking nostalgically at fashion imagery.

There’s so much out there that I think, what’s really important now, more than ever, is a platform that edits everything exciting that’s going on, and puts it all in one place. There needs to be a brand you can go to where you can discover things that inspire.
models

Vogue Italia December 2013

Photographer: Paolo Roversi
Model: Freja Beha Erichsen
Styling: Alastair McKimm
Hair: Yannick D'Is
Make Up: Peter Philips
Nails: Tracylee

Digital Edition Vogue Italia

US Harper's Bazaar February 2014

Daria Werbowy: The Edge of Spring
Photographer:
Daniel Jackson
Stylist: Alastair McKimm
Model: Daria Werbowy

harpersbazaar.com

The Last Magazine Fall 2013: Sasha Pivovarova by Josh Olins

Model: Sasha Pivovarova
Photographer: Josh Olins
Hair: Shon
Makeup: Karan Franjola
Manicure: Michina Koide

clmus.com

The Last Magazine Spring 2012: Malgosia Bela by Josh Olins

"Malgosia"
Model: Malgosia Bela
Makeup: Sally Branka
Manicure: Michina Koide

clmus.com

Mango Spring/Summer 2014 (Ad Campaign)

fashiongonerogue.com

i-D Pre-Spring 2014
The Right Face at the Right Time

Photographer: Daniel Jackson
Models: Meghan Collision,Charlotte Carey, Chiharu Okunugi, Devan Nykole Mayfield, Drake Burnette, Gabrielle Blevins, Grace Bol, Irene Hiemstra, Irina Kravchenko, Juliana Schurig, Katlin Aas, Michael Sutton, Nastya Sten, Riley Montana, and Sam Rollinson
Makeup: Yadim

lookbooks

Plant Smiles,Grow Laughter
Photographer: Amy Troost
Models: Karmen Pedaru

lookbooks

Black Sun| Daria Werbowy by Mikael Jansson for The Last Magazine Spring/Summer 2014!

Publication: The Last Magazine
Issue: #12 Spring/Summer 2014
Title: Black Sun
Photography: Mikael Jansson
Hair: Yannick d'Is
Make-up: Mark Carrasquillo

mode.newslicious.net

WSJ Magazine March 2014
"Altered States"
Model: Irene Hiemstra
Photographer: Daniel Jackson
Makeup: Francelle Daly
Manicure: Rica Romain

mapltd.com

Harper's Bazaar Arabia March 2014

THE FACE OF BEAUTY NOW
Photographers: Daniel Jackson
Make-up: Wendy Rowe

Harper's Bazaar Arabia 03/2014 Digital Edition

i-D Spring 2013: Joan Smalls by Mikael Jansson

"When All is Said and Done"
Model: Joan Smalls
Photographer: Mikael Jansson
Hair: Anthony Turner
Makeup: Hannah Murray

models.com (Cover) & visualoptimism.blogspot.com (Editorial)

i-D Spring 2014
Be So Good They Can't Ignore You
Photographer: Amy Troost
Stylist: Alistair McKimm
Hair: Rutger
Make-Up: Francelle
Manicure: Ami Vega
Model: Karmen Pedaru

lookbooks via Avogadro

i-D Spring 2014
'The Future Belongs to the Curious for They Shall Always Have Adventures'
Ph: Amy Troost
Model & Designer: Sabrina Ioffreda & Danielle Sherman of EDUN
Hair: Rutger
Makeup: Karan Franjola
Manicure: Ami Vega

streeters.com via Flashbang

Mango Summer 2014

mango.com

i-D Spring 2014

"Really Called So I Hung Up"
Photographer: Karim Sadli
Hair: Jimmy Paul
Makeup: Hannah Murray
Manicure: Bernadette Thompson

wearesodroee.com via Avogadro (Cover) & artandcommerce.com (Editorial)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->