An Issue of Quality: Does it matter where a garment is made if the quality is good?

Thanks everyone for your responses, I was hoping for various opinions and I got them, helps with keeping an open mind and giving me things to think about :wink:

Food for thought, some of the best fabrics available (such as silk) still comes from China. I'm pretty sure that $5,000 silk dress you bought from Dolce & Gabbana isn't entirely %100 Italian.

A few months ago Safilo had around 200,000 pairs of sunglasses confiscated as they were caught importing from China and rebranding.

Even garments that are fully "made in Italy" do not guarantee that they have been made in a quality environment.
Here in Italy it is not unheard of to see police raid textile/leather factories operating as sweatshops full of illegal Chinese immigrants on the news.

so in full agreement with skot4mc I echo the thought that consumers should learn to correctly assess a garment, think about quality:Price ratio, and not just be swayed by a label or tag.

It is up to the consumer to be educated independently on what it is they are buying regardless of what the label says.

no i don't think it matters necessarily. there are just some things that just cannot be produced in one place or the other so you sometimes have to have outside sources. take dries van noten for instance,many of his textile materials are usually produced in india,morocco etc. and his footwear is produced in italy while the foundation is made in belgium. like skot said,it's not about where it's made if you can identify the elements in how it's made. if you understand quality then one should be able to recognise if something isn't right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rantanplan1980
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->