Questions about Thread Quality

pearlgirl79

Reaction score
I just wanted to get some thoughts from designers out there regarding thread quality...

In my experience, a lot of high-end designer garments fall apart, and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I find it to be the thread quality and was interested in hearing a take on that from people in production...

what kind of thread is used and what is the level of quality? where is it manufactured? what fiber content? know of any high-end threads that are used in production? Green thread companies?

Hoping to get some feedback.
Thx.

i dont know much about thread quality but what I know the threads with a mix of natural and synthetic fibres last longer than the ones which are purely natural. the natural ones break easily

it depends... polymers (synthetic) would probably last "longer" simply because its a continuous thread of plastic as opposed to natural fibers which are fibers (usually cotton) that are wounded to make thread. and high-end designer garments tend to fall apart due to 2 probable reasons:

1. high-end garments are generally hand-made/hand-finished (either due to construction that is only possible by hand, or the whims of the designer to construct with hand), which risks human error and inconsistency, which is also the reason u r paying more for it. there may be more attention to detail but that also means its generally more fragile because its not machine-made

2. high-end garments don't have the economies of scale of mass manufactured garments have so thats also why they are more expensive.. not so much because of their high construction cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with the both posts above. My guess is that higher end designers like to use natural fibers rather than synthetic ones. Natural fibers break down a lot quicker.

Having said that, in my experience it's the cheap stuff that always breaks down on me me...not that I buy designer :ninja:

it is true if you buy thread at the dollar store you will have problems.. i have put some in my sewing machine and hear it squeak when it comes out and it just clogs up everything

then there are brands for example quilters swear by
such as Gutermann and Schmetz (a needle brand maybe?)
it will say on their labels they are mercerized which means they have been put through an extra process that gives them sheen, makes them smoother and also accepts dyes more readily
= better quality, less fuss

gutermann is good.
different fabric, different purpose, different thread types. my tailoring tutor told us that if you cover the thread with bees wax, it makes the thread stronger and smoother and stays closer to the fabric. but this only applies to hand sewing, not industrial. i dont know what they use in the industry.
silk threads are so nice but so expensive.

but seriously, there are so many types of needles and threads out there. there are specific kinds for tailors and dressmakers and quilters and embroiders and possible many others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cccccc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->