The Quality Feedback thread

Couture_Tribe

Reaction score
I just want to start a thread where people can get an idea of which company has better quality and which company's quality are not worth the price. Sometimes some designer price tags are a disappointment for the price in terms of quality, sometimes some small company has superb quality for the price (Hint: marketing and advertising costs money). I know when people shop at H&M, urban outfitters, Zara etc. are looking for styles and trends more than quality.

Feel free to post your experience with the company's products' quality.

Feel free to ask for the company's reputations in terms of product quality.

Feel free to check in here before you make your purchase or splurge.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is such a fine line about wanting to pay for quality and the affordability. Because of the simple fact that there are many well made lesser known clothes than the known names. This is also why I still look for well made vintage clothes. Because you can get such a great deal.

Sometimes I will shop at Urban outfitters if they have something that is simple and a nice staple. But places like Forever 21, I find their clothes so disposable and badly made - that I go in thinking that other people find cute things, so maybe I can too. Then I feel the fabric, or look at the seams coming apart, buttons falling off that it's horrible.

But your judgement can fail sometimes. Because where I work, we sometimes have some pieces that have great craftsmanship, especially the shoes, but because our corporate people dont do well advertising, no one wants to pay for it. Then we have some whatever things, that come with loose buttons that we have to sew back on, and that's the most popular stuff.

I think it says more about our economy and how wages are not increasing with inflation. And people living beyond their means.

Good thread, even if it is somewhat linked with the "most overpriced designers" one. Here's my feedbacks, totally subjective, and based on my personal experience (of clothes which have been bought and worn, not only judged on the racks)

I'm very happy with the quality of:
-Hermès (but for the prices, you can't expect less)
-Viktor&Rolf (very good prices here!)
-Balenciaga
-Loro Piana/Ballantyne
-Alexander McQueen (not only the quality but the attention to details)
-Raf Simons (the sweaters)

I'm disappointed with:
-Dior Homme (no need to say)

Concerning the women's clothes, everything by LVMH is overpriced, Dior being on the top of my list: the quality sucks, their leather is rubber, etc etc. YSL is very disapointed too, which is sad, because Pilati's work deserves a better achievement. Bottega Venetta is very good, and so is the women's versions of the abovementioned brands (Balenciaga...). Chanel also comes to my minds.

Anyway there's no need to be blind, if someone wants quality clothing, he should not buy designers clothing, but shop at sartorial boutiques, à la Charvet, etc.

It's quite obvious, but Forever 21 carries some of the worst items in terms of quality. No wonder why their prices are so low; the items are made of the least-expensive material and thus have a tendency to fall apart in the actual store. I'm all for low prices, but there's a point at which you have to give it up.

Dissapointing:

- Prada (clothes)
- Miu Miu (even worse than prada, also clothes)
- Marc by Marc Jacob
- Topshop (ok, it's cheap but still, not THAT cheap)
- cheaper items at Zara
- Prada shoes
- Casadei shoes
- French Sole shoes
- Gucci bags

Good quality:

- Ralph Lauren (always, always)
- Gap
- Benneton (for the prices you pay, excellent)
- Loro Piana
- Paul Smith

Can't think of anything else at the moment but I'll add more.

I'm happy with the quality of Club Monaco. I have a winter coat, three sweaters, and a long sleeve tee that haven't worn out, stretched, or otherwise ruined through repeated washings. I plan on buying more from them for the upcoming fall and winter seasons.

J. Crew, for it's price, it great. I'm not saying it compared to designers, but I love it. They do fun details like contrast bias tapes and things.

I'm happy about the quality of Zara (and bros/sis: Massimo Dutti, Bershka, Oysho, Pull&Bear, Stradivarius...) clothes. The only complaint I have is that the buttons are often badly sewed. But I learned to check them at the moment of the purchase, so that's okay.

I don't wear out my clothes, so I can't really tell what they would look like after everyday washes. But I have Zara pieces I've bought years ago, and they are still fine. The coats and the jeans are the best. The cotton sometimes could be better, but I have no major complaints. The sweaters are also fine. Shoes for the price are great.

H&M: worse quality than Zara, in my opinion. But is also cheaper, so it could be fine. Clothes don't fall out, but I don't think they would last intense use and frequent washes. Also, I don't buy coats there, they dont' seem good quality to me.

But really, I have no major complaints about Zara/H&M, considering the price.

Oh... I have to add I'm really disappointed to hear that forever21 is bad bad quality...

I'm coming to the US soon, and I loved the items from the website, the prices were so great... Sigh. I'll consider your opinions, and maybe I'll buy some trendy items, but not "basics".

It's quite obvious, but Forever 21 carries some of the worst items in terms of quality. No wonder why their prices are so low; the items are made of the least-expensive material and thus have a tendency to fall apart in the actual store. I'm all for low prices, but there's a point at which you have to give it up.
We don't have a Forever 21 store, but I can always find the label at a youth-oriented consignment "boutique" in town... explain that? :lol: The quality seems awful indeed...

^that's pretty funny..I always enjoy the resale shop here selling the pieces for the same price or more than they actually cost in the store!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->