Anna Wintour Out of Vogue Soon?

^OMG! Yes, probably another rumor, I'm not really ready to see Anna go, even tho their last issues have been incredibly dull (Saoirse and Beyonce) I wonder who could be the next EIC of Vogue US. Grace would be awesome!

After over a decade, it's still here! I don't know if it's true, but I read that her salary is around 2 million and CN still pays for the driver in a luxury car, the best hotels in the fashion capitals and everything else she can demand.

The questions that come to my mind are:

How many EIC could be saved with that salary?
Will the price of having Anna front Vogue be worth it when she's gone?
How many photographers, creative directors and set designers could be paid with this to improve the magazine's content?

CN is reaping what they sowed... And it won't be worth it when it's all over. Ego has to be killed before it kills you!

Imagine this: Edward Enninful goes around town telling people how he will get Anna Wintour's chair once she's out of the door. Anna Wintour hears about it, picks up the phone and dials Newhouse's number. The following week, Conde Nast shows Enninful the door.
It may have happened. She may still be a powerhouse.

^Can't remember the exact article I read when the news of Edward's departure dropped, but that what was pretty much suggested has happened! I remember reading something along the lines of Edward mentioning he wasn't expecting to remain in London long upon getting the Vogue job, and outright asked to be Wintour's replacement.

2 million seems like a pittance for all she does.

2 million seems like a pittance for all she does.
Which is ?
Imho, it looks like her managerial skills are mainly dictated by her ego, and not by any professional standards, see Andre Leon Talley, Hamish, Carine, Edward, all the EIC of Vogue UK, France, Italy... Basically everytime she feels threatened on her trone, not only because of their declared or supposed ambitions, but probably also because their skills and talents.

Performance-wise, during her 37 year tenure, all the Vogue titles have continuously declined (in circulation, revenues and profits), none of her actions seem to have reversed or even slowed this decline, all of this resulting in financial losses and cash-burn, for decades. It seems also her only answer is cost-cutting, she offers no perpectives of growth for the company who employs her. In any other business, she would have been fired long time ago, see the number of CEOs (and CDs) of fashion companies being demoted for a fraction of her failure (Bizarri, Akeroyd, Michele, etc etc).

Ethically she is also extremely questionnable; among other things, for 30 years and counting, she enabled a lot of the industry's sex pests (Testino, Richardson, Weber etc), giving them jobs, exposure, the Vogue's seal of approval, very lucrative careers, and therefore A LOT of power and opportunities to predate, mostly on much younger and powerless models. In her defense, she pretends to have been ignorant, which is a fault in itself.

2,000,000 is 28 times the average salary in the US. Also don't be a fool, just like all the other EICs, she's consulting. Unofficially and under the table, like so many EICs.
Plus her extravagant demands, salary plus expenses plus gratuities plus Met Gala etc, have certainly eroded CN productions budgets, talent pool, and her colleagues (I reckon they weren't/aren't great with money) are paid literal peanuts compared to her, are extremely cash-traps, and rely on hand-outs from friends.
It was true with ALT, it is the exact same happening with HB right now.

She is purely egoistical, clinging on power like a Russian autocrat, at the expense of the company she is supposed to serve, of the people whose livelihoods depend on CN, of the industry she claimed to love, but which is merely a tool.

And moreover 2,000,000 is way too much for her half-bland half-vile eww taste: that's her who plagued the world with Demna, A. Wang, Hearst, Leibowitz, Rodarte etc....

Declined as a magazine in quality according to our standards, perhaps. But Vogue the brand still remains strong and that's all Anna's doing. You may not like her and she may have her faults, but she's excellent at what she does. She delivered an excellent fashion magazine for the masses for a very long time. She will forever be remembered as one of the most influential and important women in fashion, regardless of our opinions.

^exactly, there is a reason why it is a Vogue cover that remains a landmark for models or celebrities to indicate they 'made it', not Harper's Bazaar or Elle etc. Anna has a lot to do with that.

Declined as a magazine in quality according to our standards, perhaps. But Vogue the brand still remains strong and that's all Anna's doing. You may not like her and she may have her faults, but she's excellent at what she does. She delivered an excellent fashion magazine for the masses for a very long time. She will forever be remembered as one of the most influential and important women in fashion, regardless of our opinions.
For 15 years... 1988 to 2003/2004, the last 20 years have been more disappointment and miss than hits, plus she enabled a lot of the toxicity of the industry.

^exactly, there is a reason why it is a Vogue cover that remains a landmark for models or celebrities to indicate they 'made it', not Harper's Bazaar or Elle etc. Anna has a lot to do with that.
Ah yes everybody, the ever relevant, ultra-talented and fashion icon Sienna Miller !

I think you completely misunderstood Drusilla’s post, but:

The fact we here even consider it notable that someone irrelevant scored a cover a few months back just reinforces the idea that a Vogue cover actually still means something. Can you imagine if the same energy was directed at, say, Harper Bazaar each and every time someone less than A-list scored a cover?

No. what. Surely a magazine in demand would have several options for the cover. Likely Anna was doing some “managerial” stuff where she was appealing to the women who liked SM back in 2003. Its about growing with the customers whole life … this type of thinking is why Anna is in her seat firmly. Isnt SM pregnant in that photo - i dont recall and am not even clicking to check - if she is then there you go. Growing with the readers lives.

It is a huge miss to not have her in PP bc SM was synonymous with the Paddington.

I think the formula to being on a Vogue cover is an amophorous unknown algorithm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->