Asia Street Style

purdles said:
^What's "fob" style?
Wow, it's really hard to describe.It's a word Asian people (ususally who grew up in western countries) use to describe (most of the time with some negative connotations) things which are are look really Asian. It actually stands for "Fresh off the Boat" :shock: Most Chinese, Hong Kong, Taiwan mainstream style can be considered fob. Japanese and Korean mainstream style can also be considered fob but possibly this word was originated to predominantly describe the HK look.

Sorry if that wasn't a very good description LoL :lol:

Maybe photos help:

attachment.php

From sweetcandylove's post. This is very fob. The hair, the makeup, the clothes... everything.

..%5Cupload%5C2006510232030.jpg

From Marvystone's post. This is fob. The hair and the clothes.

31m.jpg

From Baizilla's post. This is not fob.

But of course you can argue differences in age and the fact that she's the Editor of Vogue China so she can't possibly dress like a fob. But I'm generally just trying to paint a picture of what "fob" style is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the explanation it was very helpful!
Sounds pretty mean though - I don't know ...

Thanks for the explanation it was very helpful!
Sounds pretty mean though - I don't know ...

Yeah I can see how it can sound really mean, but the interesting thing is, it's a word created by Asians to describe Asians and it's usually only used by Asians. I suppose it's more of a joke rather than anything really serious.

It's very common to hear, if someone says something grammatically wrong in English, their friend would go, "you're such a fob" etc etc.

I personally don't take it as a racist comment or too derogatory in anyway but perhaps other people may be offended depending on the context.

:flower:

I think you're thinking of "fob" style. Not all asians dress like that.

i just learned the term from you:P but yes, that's exactly what i mean and i didn't know that there is even a word for it. It's like Paris Hilton style among asians. (i'm asian too btw). i do know not everyone dresses like that:wink: I like ur style! There's this girl in my class that is really 'fob'. you can easily tell who migrated and who was born here. I'm like that woman in the last pic...

i'm a korean, so i always hear the word fob being thrown around by asian americans.
what i don't understand is why so many asian americans call 'asian style', 'fob style', when those 'fobs' they talk of haven't even got off the boat to arrive in america!

what is the general fashion style in beijing today? what is the shopping like? i am gona b living in beijing next year and want to know more infor on the fashion in beijing but i cant seem to find much info on it!

Wow, it's really hard to describe.It's a word Asian people (ususally who grew up in western countries) use to describe (most of the time with some negative connotations) things which are are look really Asian. It actually stands for "Fresh off the Boat" :shock: Most Chinese, Hong Kong, Taiwan mainstream style can be considered fob. Japanese and Korean mainstream style can also be considered fob but possibly this word was originated to predominantly describe the HK look.

Sorry if that wasn't a very good description LoL :lol:

Maybe photos help:

From sweetcandylove's post. This is very fob. The hair, the makeup, the clothes... everything.

From Marvystone's post. This is fob. The hair and the clothes.

From Baizilla's post. This is not fob.

But of course you can argue differences in age and the fact that she's the Editor of Vogue China so she can't possibly dress like a fob. But I'm generally just trying to paint a picture of what "fob" style is.

***please do not quote pictures

yea i know what you mean by "fob" now, but I (and my friends) dont use fob to describe this kind of style. we use "mk" instead. and I am hongkonger:flower:

:smile: i love hk styling. the girls dont tend to dress so girly and they add a boyish playful kick to their outfits.

if you're interested in more singaporean street style, here's an interesting link
http://indiesin.livejournal.com/

they have interesting pictures and more or less sell what's really hip and "in" in Sg right now, so it tells you alot about what sgporean girls are wearing currently or are into right now. :smile: love their pictures!

btw i'm not sure if this constitutes as spam, since they do sell clothes. i just wanted to share some local sg style. if it is considered as spam, please let me know and i will amend it. :blush:new here, sorry i sound so.. new. haha.

what does "mk" stands for?

hi there, "mk" is a short form of "mong kok" and mong kok is a place of hong kong...actually no one will willing to be called mk style since mk style is generalized as .....i dont know how to descirbe , fashion victim with rube manner maybe?

I think you're thinking of "fob" style. Not all asians dress like that.

LMAO fobs... Awful style. Obvious labels and way too much makeup. If it has "DNKY" in huge letters on it, they'll buy it. And then there are my 2nd generation sisters rocking the blue eyeshadow :rolleyes:

haha, the word 'fobs' is used a lot in my school..didn't know it was used for fashion though.

Right now the Korean style is like... extremely high heels with flowy dresses or empire-waist/tunic kind of tops. I don't often see women NOT wearing high heels. As for the younger generation, they all sort of look the same...same haircut, 'geek'-glasses, polo shirts with grey skinnies paired with Converse high-tops. This goes for the girls AND the guys. The guys all tend towards a...'fashionable' look, and I am frustrated by it. It's like edging toward femininity. I am more used to walking around with a boyfriend who doesn't spend as much time in front of the mirror as I do. Neither am I used to a boyfriend who carries around a 'purse' more expensive than mine, or jeans more tighter than mine. It sort of makes me self-consious.

Purse? Man-purse or messenger bag? Do elaborate. Never is a man-purse acceptable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->