Asia Street Style

astatine said:
singapore street fashion report 2005

i think it pretty much says it all :doh:

pardon me for saying this but I personally and strongly feel that the fella in this blog is trying to give sacrastic remarks towards the trends he so-called deduced.

Singaporeans are just a herd of conformed cows. (Im also a Singaporean) but we ought and should be more experimental in our dressing. Whats with the anti-layering thing? Wouldnt it be bored if you see the tee-jeans-sneaker everytime? I feel that layering makes a difference.

pics found from www.enet.com.cn

1123053134373.jpg

1123053161705.jpg

1123053175488.jpg

very dislike this one

1123053150234.jpg

theRenaissance said:
pardon me for saying this but I personally and strongly feel that the fella in this blog is trying to give sacrastic remarks towards the trends he so-called deduced.

Singaporeans are just a herd of conformed cows. (Im also a Singaporean) but we ought and should be more experimental in our dressing. Whats with the anti-layering thing? Wouldnt it be bored if you see the tee-jeans-sneaker everytime? I feel that layering makes a difference.

well...it is harosingapore afterall, and the writer of the article is entitled to his opinion, whether it be biased/unbiased, sarcastic/neutral...etc etc. but i am veering off on a tangent.

my intention of posting up the link was more for the photographs than the commentary, as i noticed a lack of photos from our little island while browsing through this thread. however, i offer my apologies if it offended anyone.

going back to singaporean style though- yes, we are 'a herd of conformed cows' :lol: i think that things might improve over time, as more international labels which are more in tune with global trends set up shop in singapore (h&m, perhaps?) and more people take to online shopping. right now one of our problems is the duplication of shops in every mall; my opinion is that with more choice, people might find it easier to branch out and create their own individual styles. i say might, because first there are two factors to be overcome- the abovementioned pressure to blend in, and of course, the weather.

that was just my (very inexperienced) $0.02, so feel free to poke holes in it and argue. :smile:

astatine said:
well...it is harosingapore afterall, and the writer of the article is entitled to his opinion, whether it be biased/unbiased, sarcastic/neutral...etc etc. but i am veering off on a tangent.

my intention of posting up the link was more for the photographs than the commentary, as i noticed a lack of photos from our little island while browsing through this thread. however, i offer my apologies if it offended anyone.

going back to singaporean style though- yes, we are 'a herd of conformed cows' :lol: i think that things might improve over time, as more international labels which are more in tune with global trends set up shop in singapore (h&m, perhaps?) and more people take to online shopping. right now one of our problems is the duplication of shops in every mall; my opinion is that with more choice, people might find it easier to branch out and create their own individual styles. i say might, because first there are two factors to be overcome- the abovementioned pressure to blend in, and of course, the weather.

that was just my (very inexperienced) $0.02, so feel free to poke holes in it and argue. :smile:

I very much agree to you. Yes I heard that H&M were gonna launch their store here in SG soon. How true is that? Sometimes i really do hate the weather for being so horrible. Damn humidity :(

Beijing
(teen vogue)

May 2006
asia major

Teen Vogue takes a trip around the world.

Contrary to popular belief, fashion—not love—is the international language. With that in mind, Teen Vogue hits the road to learn the ABCs of style on a global scale. First stop: Beijing. All aboard!

060523stexsl_01.jpg
060523stexsl_02.jpg
060523stexsl_03.jpg
060523stexsl_04.jpg

060523stexsl_05.jpg
060523stexsl_06.jpg
060523stexsl_07.jpg

i live in new york but grew up in texas and i couldnt imagine wearing jeans in sultry weather, its already in the high 70s here and im tired of my jeans even my cute skinnies i want skirts, i think a cute summer staple is sundresses and cute sandals with earrings, i dont think you have to layer to be "fashionable"

^^The problem I have with most of those China streetstyle pics is the inexplicable obsession with cutesy motifs. There's something a little tacky about wearing jeans with a patch of a dog on the bum or maybe tacky is a little strong - just not to my taste at all.....
In Hong Kong, if you go into those cheap cheap clothing stores, there's TONS of that sort of gear which I see grown 40 yr old women buying - it ain't right and it ain't clever.....

lol yeh i agree, you often find these fake looking designer tops and bad quality clothes especially in places like mongkok. the thing i find with most of the clothes i buy in hk is that dont last very long :(

I agree that the colorful motifs are terrible. My cousin lives in Beijing and I have to cringe at some of the stuff she wears.
At least she's not into the overlayering HK style that doesnt flatter the body though *sigh of relief* lol

Last edited by a moderator:
^AHAHAHA! No, not too clever or nice to look at. It's really wierd I looked through my old clothes from when I was little and there are jackets and shirts with little dogs and patches with a little girl on it. I know exactly what you are talking about. It is extremely sad when it is for older women and those two piece jogging sweats sets with pictures and words spelt wrong.

Thank you to who ever posted the last batch of HK street style pictures and the Vogue party ones. You have single handedly restored my faith in HK style. I have rarely seen stylish people like that, that roam the streets of HK but maybe I'm just going to the wrong places. I have no reasonable explainations but I hate FOB style. I HATE IT. It is awful. baggy shirt, baggy jeans, sneakers and a over the shoulder bag.

Question: Where are the nice fakes in HK sold? Not the LV ones but Marc Jacobs, or the Fendi Spy?

i125http://.photobucket.com/albums/p63/aruca_album/DSC01038Small.jpg

p-a-t-h-e-t-i-c
First of all, I am chinese myself, I revere the chinese history. I didn';t come to Canada til age 10, my roots is still chinese, I embrace it and am pround of it.
But when it comes to fashion, I just can not defend my people anymore, I do not even want to defend them. I think they just embrace the young look too much, to a point that is pathetic, vulgar, sick, tacky, fugly. Accoriding to what my friend who went back to BeiJing(capital) this summer told me, veryone on the street wears bright colors, regardless age, they just want to look young! They just do not take it the clever way, they do not realize that the too youthful look can age you by contrast extremely. Also lots or majorities are japenese/korean scene wannabes, equilvent(sp.) to hipsters, indie, or scene kids WANNABES in western culture. They also think black is the ugliest color on earth. I am not lying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfaa103p05
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->