• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Balenciaga S/S 2012: Juliane, Kirstin, Laura & Rosie by Steven Meisel

I love it. Hated the collection, love the campaign! Opposite of Prada! Thanks to everyone for contributing.

this is the strangest ad ever!
you can love you can hate. but you will always have a strong reaction seing it...

wow, this has been a disaster since it began, remember, the broken chairs...

thats what happens if you spend all your money on Balenciaga clothes. no money left for a cleaning lady or even a hairbrush.

From my understanding, this campaign was inspired by Patti Smith's Just Kids, and was shot in the historic Chelsea Hotel, where Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe lived for a time.

The newest image is really compelling, in my opinion. I agree with BerlinRocks that this has an echo of early 2000's I&V Balenciaga campaigns with Roos and Ann Catherine-Lacroix. I like it a lot. This is very different from what we've become used to within fashion advertising, and for that, I truly appreciate what Meisel and the Balenciaga team have come up with here.

^That would make sense, and I guess the model choice was perfect :heart:

arts-just-kids-5841.jpg

artpricks.files.wordpress.com

From my understanding, this campaign was inspired by Patti Smith's Just Kids, and was shot in the historic Chelsea Hotel, where Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe lived for a time.

The newest image is really compelling, in my opinion. I agree with BerlinRocks that this has an echo of early 2000's I&V Balenciaga campaigns with Roos and Ann Catherine-Lacroix. I like it a lot. This is very different from what we've become used to within fashion advertising, and for that, I truly appreciate what Meisel and the Balenciaga team have come up with here.

WOW then it makes sence...:o:heart:

I totally believe that the inspiration was Patti Smith's memoir but here's the thing, this does not channel Patti Smith herself or a 2011-12 version of Patti Smith, it represents a shallow rich girl who read the book, and on her parents dime, is "playing" Patti Smith in an apartment in a hipster neighborhood or a college dorm. Now an argument can be made that these are the people who buy Balenciaga but I don't think that shallow rich girls want their actual lightweight selves reflected in the campaigns that are targeted at them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironically today i saw a photos book about Patti Smith on Chelsey´s Hotel. There is a set of photos that looks the same as the first two photos released and the set is also very alike with the photos placed on the wall the mess on the floor.
I find it a pure modern interpretation of it and a really well done one.
The only thing i would do is making this a OG ad and put a male model on the party.

^^ indeed. Even with that info, this add still is really bad and the models still do nothing for me at all.

I find the campaign ugly, perplexing, and disengaging...but also liking it because it's completely anti-fashion and not what we'd expect. Pretty, predictable campaigns are kinda boring.

I love this!
Its one of the most original ads ever.
I love the stry behind it, the photos are breathtaking.
I just dont like the clothes (but is obvious why)
I think this could work better as an ed but im okj with it...great job Meisel

They even made Juliane Gruner look bad...I'm not a fan but she's a very pretty girl and I would imagine that it must have taken a lot of work to downgrade her like this. Disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->