Bertelli on Prada, Lang and Sander future strategies

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
here, mr bertelli tells all about Prada's new direction and the future of the Helmut Lang and Jil Sander labels, he even talks about Tom Ford's new venture..
interesting (and quite long) interview, extracts from wwd of today :flower:
050905_2.jpg

For Prada chief executive officer Patrizio Bertelli, the multibrand luxury empire model remains as seaworthy as his America’s Cup yacht, Luna Rossa.

“The model has not changed. We are still a multibrand company,” said Bertelli, his lightweight blue suit providing the sole burst of color in a stark white meeting room at corporate headquarters here.

In an exclusive with WWD, Bertelli outlined the company’s priorities, which include tapping the potential of the Miu Miu brand outside Europe; launching a Prada men’s fragrance in 2006; expanding product lines such as the Prada Sport denim collection; determining the future of Helmut Lang as it talks with potential buyers, and perhaps bringing in a new designer at Jil Sander by the end of the year as it continues to restructure the brand.

All this as Prada progresses toward its goal of finally carrying out the initial public offering it has postponed four times. But Bertelli termed that a “secondary priority.”

“We can start to rethink the whole process at the end of 2006,” he said, before listing the more imminent tasks, such as growing Miu Miu and the fragrance launch.

Although he freely admits that all is not well at Helmut Lang and Jil Sander, Bertelli is quick to cite his success stories with Prada, Miu Miu and acquisitions such as Car Shoe and Church’s. While many in the industry ponder the future prospects of all the small and medium-size brands that Prada, Gucci Group and LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton snapped up during the Nineties buying spree, Bertelli defends the giants’ original logic, saying they saved many a brand from inevitable ruin.

“By virtue of becoming a part of groups like Prada, Gucci and [LVMH], these smaller brands stayed alive. If these groups weren’t there to sustain them, they would have disappeared,” he said.
Prada split with designer Helmut Lang in March and last week confirmed it is in talks with potential buyers of the company. It isn’t clear, though, whether Lang would return to design the collection. Bertelli also declined to name the potential buyers.

“We have just decided to interrupt [the relationship with] Helmut Lang,” Bertelli said, clarifying that Prada will continue to fill outstanding orders and produce the collection until the end of the year, at which point he’ll decide whether to sell. “We’ll see,” he said.

Bertelli said any good businessman would have reached the conclusion he did: that the Helmut Lang brand just wasn’t working. The label already was seeing financial hardship before the designer left.

“If you see a brand that can’t find its customer base, that can’t generate the right level of turnover and it’s posting losses, you are going to have to proceed in a certain way,” said Bertelli.

Speculation has named Diesel or Tommy Hilfiger as potential contenders for Lang. Diesel owner Renzo Rosso has said Prada approached his company, but he’s not interested. A Tommy Hilfiger spokesman declined to comment, but a source close to the company said it is not interested. Several financial sources have said Helmut Lang could be a tough sell, as a money-losing company without its founding designer that has diversified too much out of its core sportswear business.

The Jil Sander situation is completely different, however. Bertelli said he plans to keep sustaining Jil Sander, despite market speculation that he may wish to part with that brand, as well. As reported earlier this year, Prada and Jil Sander management are using a team of people to preserve the namesake designer’s minimalist aesthetic rather than diverge into new territory — a misstep Prada acknowledges it made the first time Jil Sander said goodbye.

Bertelli said he’s still on cordial terms with Sander and respects her as a designer. He even heard from her a couple of months ago. But he denies the possibility of her returning for a third time.

“We made a decision not to carry on relations with Ms. Sander. We saw that the difficulties reached a point that we weren’t able to make radical [operating] transformations,” he said. Certain restructuring measures — such as a recent decision to move the remainder of the line’s production from Germany to Italy — should have been taken care of long ago, but Sander blocked them, said Bertelli.

“Jil Sander is a person who, despite selling her company, never mentally sold the company. That is the real problem,” he said. “She shouldn’t have sold the company.” :rolleyes:

Still, Bertelli said that he’s confident in the current style team, which earned rave reviews for its first collection last February. That said, he doesn’t rule out the possibility of hiring a new designer for the label.

“We will do things calmly, “ he said. “By the end of the year, we will finalize the new structure of Jil Sander, also on the design front.”

Bertelli would not be drawn on names of designers he would like to see at Sander. But when asked what he makes of men’s wear designer :woot: Raf Simmons, he joked, “Who’s that?” :rolleyes:

It’s a bit harder to bypass name recognition when you’re talking about Tom Ford, or his new venture with Domenico De Sole to launch Tom Ford eyewear and beauty lines through Marcolin and the Estée Lauder Cos., respectively The licensing deals hardly conform to conventional brand-building methodology, but Bertelli likes the logic.

“Should Tom Ford have started competing with Gucci? [Should he] have started from nothing to make a product that competes with a company that he left a year ago?” he said.

Bertelli said he thinks it’s wise for Ford and De Sole to reach out to a broad consumer base with these entry-level products to build up a mystique behind the name. He thinks the duo will appeal to people’s :D “hedonistic” tendencies.

“If they are successful with fragrances and they are successful with eyewear, they will move on to making handbags,” he predicted, adding that a lot will depend on the communications strategy and business model of the Tom Ford venture.

But Bertelli understands the Ford-De Sole gamble perhaps more than many other executives, for when it comes to breaking the rules, he has firsthand knowledge.

Bertelli recalled the skeptics who balked when Prada opened its $30 million SoHo store in New York just three months after Sept. 11. Designed by Rem Koolhaas, complete with high-tech touches such as dressing room video cameras, touch-screen monitors and a giant “wave” floor that dominates the 180-foot length of the store, some observers thought it excessive. Prada even was one of the first fashion and retail companies to use RFID chips, now a rage in retail information technology, thanks to Wal-Mart.

Bertelli knew he was taking a risk, but he said it paid off. (Prada since has followed the SoHo store — dubbed a Prada Epicenter store — with similar units in Tokyo and Beverly Hills.)

“‘It’s an enormous empty space and a small selling floor space,’ people said. They were not able to understand this concept,” he said. “This year, the store is taking in more than $35 million. And people said that this store would have failed and not sold anything?”

In fact, Bertelli said Prada’s sales in the U.S. are up by about 10 percent so far this year. He said he doesn’t see any signs of a slowdown in the U.S., despite some indications the economy could be headed for another slow patch. He said Prada is maintaining market share. Luxury generally remains one of the bright spots of the U.S. retail economy, with Neiman Marcus Group last week reporting its same-store sales rose 14.2 percent in April.

But Bertelli echoed many executives’ ongoing gripes about a strong euro-to-dollar exchange rate biting into exports and an overall sluggish European market for fashion and luxury goods.

He turned brighter on the prospects for Asia, noting improving trends in Japan and promising signs from developing countries elsewhere in the Far East, especially China:innocent: . He sees a growth parallel between contemporary China and Japan in the Fifties, but he said this analogy has its limits. Japan turned inward and isolated itself to grow, while China internationalized itself quickly to fuel its boom, a key difference, in his mind.

“We have to think about all of these Chinese people who are traveling all over the world and becoming new consumers in product categories, from Ferraris to Prada bags,” he said.

well, time to conquer the chinese nouveaux rich millionaires Patrizio, thats where the future of lux lies, go for it, exploit them all :ninja:

It's so interesting to see how this company thinks as a business. We all get the soundbytes that Miu provides after the shows, we know about the skirts, the makeup...this is the real stuff that lies underneath though. Keeping eyes peeled for every possible opportunity, getting rid of what doesn't work even if that means a namesake designer, taking huge risks with retail space. It's not just about the handbags even though they want you to believe its all about the handbags.

Thanks Lena, very interesting indeed. My favorite bit was one that you highlighted yourself:-

“Jil Sander is a person who, despite selling her company, never mentally sold the company. That is the real problem,” he said. “She shouldn’t have sold the company.”

I think this sort of confirms the view that she wanted to have her cake and eat it. My suspicions are (and were) that Ms Sander is probably quite a difficult character.

^The only reason I think she might be difficult is that she expects something that's not being provided by the Prada group. This invetably will lead to disagreements

mdankwah said:
^The only reason I think she might be difficult is that she expects something that's not being provided by the Prada group. This invetably will lead to disagreements

Maybe. I don't know her, so my suspicion isn't really based on anything particularly tangible. However, she did sell her company then leave then come back then leave again. I'm not inclined to think that this is all Prada's fault.

Johnny said:
Thanks Lena, very interesting indeed. My favorite bit was one that you highlighted yourself:-

“Jil Sander is a person who, despite selling her company, never mentally sold the company. That is the real problem,” he said. “She shouldn’t have sold the company.”

I think this sort of confirms the view that she wanted to have her cake and eat it. My suspicions are (and were) that Ms Sander is probably quite a difficult character.

I see your point about "eating the cake". After Jil Sander came back the press did say that she never actually "left" the company. She was involved in choosing the location for the London boutique....

But she still has 25% of her company hasn't she? It might be the reason Helmut Lang sold the remain stock of his company.

I think it should be all or nothing. It should be Prada's JS or Jil Sander's JS. It seemes that for a company that has such a strong identity, one can't do it half way.

Thanks Lena very much for the article:-)

agreed nqth. what a lot of egos there are flying around. Its quite sad really.

“We have just decided to interrupt [the relationship with] Helmut Lang,” Bertelli said, clarifying that Prada will continue to fill outstanding orders and produce the collection until the end of the year, at which point he’ll decide whether to sell. “We’ll see,” he said.

Does it mean the Helmut Lang collection could be probably discontinued? *shocked*

sounds like that is an option. I think it must be in a state of flux at the moment.....

Lena,

Thanks for the article. It is really interesting for me to see the business side of a fashion house and the way in which a businessman thinks about fashion... even though a part of me hates to see it broken down so much to numbers, dollars, and cents.

I guess that most of the time all that I think of is the finished product from a given house, the interesting clothes, unique ideas, etc... but it interesting to know that perhaps BECAUSE of other considerations, some with which I wouldn't agree... those clothes can come about as they do and be as interesting as they are. What I mean is that, as Bertelli said, it is because of a large conglomerate that some smaller businesses were able to stay afloat. And, those large conglomerates become and stay large by making tough decisions based on the bottom line and what is going to make them larger... as opposed to a singular artistic vision come-what-may.

Or, in the case of Prada itself, it is because of the nylon bags and the sneakers (which many of us descry) that we can have some of the really interesting clothes that she sometimes produces from the main line or from Miu Miu. Without the financial freedom afforded from a successful accessories line, she probably couldn't take so many chances with the clothes line. For, like her or not, she doesn't just "play it safe" all the time. Just look at some of the collections from a few years ago... sleeveless, nylon halter vests for men, wool "double trousers" (I'm sure you saw them... they looked like one pair of pants worn on top of the other). I'm guessing that they probably sold 3 pair of those.

Of course, there is the converse argument, that because of their current financial constraints they are having to cut corners... But I still think that she has more of an ability to "play around" with ideas that she might have than some other large houses.

Look at Armani, for example. His business is almost entirely based on clothes, right? For this reason, he really can't take huge chances on a collection that may fail. Hence year after year of the same thing without much risk (all of which sell, predictably, like crazy).

Thanks again,
John

Johnny said:
My suspicions are (and were) that Ms Sander is probably quite a difficult character.

that's what 'people' say in the industry Johnny, miss S. is supossed to be a bit of a hard cookie :wink:

btw, you are welcome guys, glad you found this interesting :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lena said:
that's what 'people' say in the industry Johnny, miss S. is supossed to be a bit of a hard cookie :wink:

btw, you are welcome guys, glad you found this interesting :flower:

You NEED to be a ' hard cookie ' to survive in the fashion biz .:cry:

We weep for Romeo Gigli , Koji Tatsuno , Martine Sitbon , et al , and wish they had some of the ' wiliness ' of Karl Lagerfeld , who is utterly infuriating , but knowa JUST how to play the system to his own advantage .:rolleyes:

Thanks for the article LENA :flower:

Thank you for posting, Lena, and more so for highlighting which also me to just take a peek between work :D

yes kit - as with all big business.....you have to be hard as nails. thats why i'll never be a big business mogul!

Are there any differences

a. produce sth in larger scale sometimes to support the core operation, which is innovative design.

b. produce some exceptional pieces from times to times to support the large scale production.

The double trousers were sold out in whole by Comme I think, I don't see a piece in Guerrilla, one in yoox.com I think.

Of course there is always huge finnacial risk when you operate in a large scale. And the large market is not always pleased by the daring nor innovative design. It's the issues of choices.

I think the smaller labels are always there. They do not live just because there are some big-money houses:-)

THE PRADA WAY
spacer.gif
PATRIZIO BERTELLI isn't about to sell off Jil Sander, in spite of all those rumours to the contrary. Having announced that Helmut Lang was officially on the block last week, the Prada boss says he has every confidence in the Sander brand – and in the team of designers hired to maintain it founding designer's minimalist aesthetic. Admitting that it was a mistake to try and transport the label into new style territories after Sander's first exit, Bertelli says that it will stick with what it knows now – but that doesn't mean Sander will reappear after her second shock exit late last year. "Jill Sander is a person who, despite selling her company, never mentally sold the company," he told WWD. "That is the real problem. She shouldn't have sold the company." Bertelli, husband of Miuccia Prada, says his plans for the Sander label are just one aspect of the work he has to do as he carries the Group towards an IPO that has so far been postponed four times. With priority going to an expansion of the Miu Miu brand outside Europe and the launch of a men's Prada fragrance coming up too, however, he has put the IPO in second place. And he won't be rocked by speculation about the level of debt he has secured for Prada despite that fact that a $910 million bond is due next month, insisting that he has a strong relationship with the banks who are keen to keep him on side. So don't keep on at him about the IPO. "It's useless for us to explain this so many times," he went on. "September 11 happened and we were supposed to [meet with analysts for the IPO] on September 18. That's the whole story. If September 11 hadn't happened, we would be talking about other things." (May 9 2005, AM)

Andro said:
THE PRADA WAY
spacer.gif
PATRIZIO BERTELLI isn't about to sell off Jil Sander, in spite of all those rumours to the contrary. Having announced that Helmut Lang was officially on the block last week, the Prada boss says he has every confidence in the Sander brand – and in the team of designers hired to maintain it founding designer's minimalist aesthetic. Admitting that it was a mistake to try and transport the label into new style territories after Sander's first exit, Bertelli says that it will stick with what it knows now – but that doesn't mean Sander will reappear after her second shock exit late last year. "Jill Sander is a person who, despite selling her company, never mentally sold the company," he told WWD. "That is the real problem. She shouldn't have sold the company." Bertelli, husband of Miuccia Prada, says his plans for the Sander label are just one aspect of the work he has to do as he carries the Group towards an IPO that has so far been postponed four times. With priority going to an expansion of the Miu Miu brand outside Europe and the launch of a men's Prada fragrance coming up too, however, he has put the IPO in second place. And he won't be rocked by speculation about the level of debt he has secured for Prada despite that fact that a $910 million bond is due next month, insisting that he has a strong relationship with the banks who are keen to keep him on side. So don't keep on at him about the IPO. "It's useless for us to explain this so many times," he went on. "September 11 happened and we were supposed to [meet with analysts for the IPO] on September 18. That's the whole story. If September 11 hadn't happened, we would be talking about other things." (May 9 2005, AM)

british vogue.co
http://www.vogue.co.uk/vogue_daily/story/story.asp?stid=25676

nqth said:
Does it mean the Helmut Lang collection could be probably discontinued? *shocked*
I don't even want to think about that. :doh:

and perhaps bringing in a new designer at Jil Sander by the end of the year as it continues to restructure the brand
That just makes me want to scream. :yuk:

Here's an article I thought was interesting in relation to all the controversy over the PRADA empire from the New York Times...

'Second Coming' of Jil Sander

[size=-1]By GUY TREBAY[/size]
spacer.gif

Published: February 26, 2004

m.gif
ILAN, Feb. 25 — The most progressive designer to exhibit clothes during Italy's current fashion cycle probably has the least customary qualifications for the job. Unlike many colleagues doing business in this country, Jil Sander is not a diva. Not a publicity hound. Not the beneficiary of an industrial heritage or fortune, a good friend of Silvio Berlusconi's, or even an Italian.

Ms. Sander is a natural innovator, an attribute that, strangely enough in a country that provided the framework for most of what the West considers civilization, is currently in short supply. When Ms. Sander shows her first fall collection of women's clothes since resuming control of the company that bears her name, Wednesday at 6 p.m., there is no reason to imagine that she will disappoint her many devotees. There was plenty of evidence at the men's wear collections shown here in January that while Ms. Sander may once have lost control of her company, she did not let go of her confidence or touch.

The singularity of that touch stands in contrast to what by anyone's standards is a static period in Italian design. "It is such an overused word, elegance," Ms. Sander said on Monday. "But elegance interests me," she added. "When I say it, I mean something that can lift you up, make you lighter."

A shy, tomboyish blonde of 60, Ms. Sander tends in conversation to crumple her fine hair, to shift in her chair, to push up the sleeves of her blazer and to reveal herself only in oblique formulations. Her return to fashion after a three-year absence, announced last May, was greeted by one retailer in the trade press as a "second coming."

In 1999, Patrizio Bertelli's Prada Group acquired 75 percent of Jil Sander A.G., a company that Ms. Sander founded in Hamburg, Germany, in 1973, when she was in her early 20's and still known as Heidemarie Jiline Sander, and which she built into a $200 million empire.

The company seemed primed for expansion. However unlikely a partner the autocratic Mr. Bertelli may have seemed, there was no question that their ambitions for the company were compatible in scale. But fashion insiders were quickly making book on how long it would take until the partnership failed under the strain of two thorny egos. Indeed, six months after signing the deal Ms. Sander quit, having mounted just one show under the corporate aegis of Prada. "I always thought I would be the last person to leave the company," Ms. Sander said.

After the first Jil Sander show designed without Ms. Sander, Mr. Bertelli remarked, "The individual fashion designer is less important than the company." Ms. Sander went into retirement, tending to the Japanese and topiary gardens at her 500-acre estate in northern Germany.

During this sabbatical she renewed her interest in the formal properties of design that have oftenearned her the meaningless title of a minimalist and that, as with the best Japanese design, is minimal only in a superficial sense. "I always think in three dimensions," Ms. Sander said. Her $2,000 cashmere pullovers and $3,500 leather jackets became cult items, perhaps because they were almost ostentatiously nondescript. "I look at the fabric and the cut, and I think, `What can we do to make it less heavy?' " said Ms. Sander, whose subtle palette, narrow silhouettes and signature androgyny have been lauded by adherents and derided by competitors like Karl Lagerfeld and Wolfgang Joop. "To show more class, to look less equipped, to have less on the surface" is her design goal in returning to fashion, the designer said.

During her absence, the company foundered creatively, many critics say, and also financially. The Prada Group seemed befuddled by a design idiom that had attracted devoted customers content to pay exceptionally high retail prices for clothes that looked, in the best way, like nothing. The designs produced after Ms. Sander left were odd hybrids, too gimmicky for her die-hard market and not fashionable enough to forge new ones. Profits fell consistently for clothes that one critic derided as "pidgin Sander."

Those collections were designed by Milan Vukmirovic, whose design donnybrook came with the spring 2003 collection of zippered dresses that were as much toothy hardware as cloth. Soon after that collection, Mr. Bertelli apparently approached Ms. Sander and began negotiating a truce. "I was advised that I would not find the same situation," Ms. Sander said. "It is not like we are an appendage of Prada."

It was while cultivating her garden, the designer added, that she came to a better understanding of the paradox at the center of any creative enterprise, particularly one capable of generating the kinds of expectations buyers will bring to her show tonight. "Yes, you are more free if it is your own," Ms. Sander said, but you are also more deeply responsible. "If you make a garden, you have to maintain it, or it's not your garden," she said. "If you have a dog, and you're not there, it becomes your housekeeper's dog."

:blink: are they really taking their production to china?

PRADA PRUNES: Prada is considering job cuts at one of its production plants in the coastal Italian town of Ancona, a company spokesman said Thursday. He said the company is meeting with union officials about the future of the production site and it's too soon to say how many jobs could be eliminated. A local press report said that Prada wants to cut about :shock: 70 jobs, or about a third of the facility, a former Genny factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannah Ursula
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->