Best Albums of 2010

MulletProof

Reaction score
I'm starting this yet again because no one else will! :innocent:

What were your favorite releases of the year?!
.. or, albums that you thought were outstanding?. Anything goes here, even disappointments!.

I don't think I got particularly attached to anything this year.. I gave several things a try but only a few of them have stayed on rotation in my iTunes. I loved Brothers by The Black Keys, it turned out to be such a perfect summer record.. same for Paul Cary's Ghost of a Man. It almost feels wrong to play these now that it's cold!.

Also loved most of the songs on Phosphorescent's Here's to taking it easy.. and Forget by Twin Shadow.. I think I warmed up to these two thanks to my ipod that just throws them in unexpectedly when I'm taking a shower. :lol:

I wish I had taken the time with Francesco Tristano and Sun City Girl's albums (and Actress' too!) but either my patience is running out for intricate music or.. I've been really stressed this year, which is the same...

Oh and I have a guilty pleasure but maybe it's not something to feel really guilty about: Arcade Fire's The Suburbs!, I don't know why I don't feel proud to play it, even on crowded transportation I turn off the volume just so no one can hear it through the earphones.. stupid stupid :lol:.. but I love it, it puts me in a good mood.. :heart:

41wT16cHbJL._SS500_.jpg

*amazon.com

pluie-sans-parapluie-francoise-hardy-22-mars-L-1.jpeg

*paperblog.fr

colouringofpigeons452.jpg

*pitchfork.com

617jszhedzL.jpg

UNKLE-Where Did The Night Fall
51ilMdOy3JL._SS500_.jpg

*amazon.com

have to agree with you mullet,2010 as a whole has left a lot to be desired. even our beloved blonde redhead was less than stellar with penny sparkle.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Kings of Leon - Come Around Sundown
2. S. Carey - All We Grow
3. SIA - We Are Born
4. Jenny & Johnny - I'm Having Fun Now
5. Goldfrapp - Head First
6. Eminem - Recovery
7. Avi Buffalo - Avi Buffalo
8. Gayngs - Relayted
9. Christina Aguilera - Bionic
10. OST - Twilight: Eclipse

But only 1-5 are albums that I really, really love. The other ones I probably will have forgotten about by next year, haha.

The most outstanding song of 2010 for me is "Daphne" by Lia Ices & Justin Vernon. Definitely my favorite song of the year and I can't wait for her full album to be released in January :heart:

glad there's a thread like this where i can properly freak over my album discoveries for the year :magic: and pardon this OC post :bunny:

1. The National, High Violet
- there's such an an intense kind of beauty to their haunting songs. lost count how many times i played this album to sleep
- fave tracks: Lemonworld, Afraid of Everyone, Bloodbuzz Ohio, England

2. Surfer Blood, Astro Coast
- never was a fan of lo-fi/surfer music until this album. perfect album for driving as well
- fave tracks: Swim, Floating Vibes, Anchorage, Take It Easy

3. Interpol, Interpol
- a halfassed album compared to their previous efforts but might as well drown in their disillusionment
- fave tracks: Barricade, Summer Well, Try It On

4. Tame Impala, Innerspeaker
- hallucinogenic psych rock. their songs sent me to the desert then threw me into outerspace
- fave tracks: Solitude Is Bliss, Alter Ego, Remember Me

5. The Radio Dept, Clinging To A Scheme
- perfect mood music; love how all the songs speak to you in an introverted sort of way
- fave tracks: The Video Dept, Four Months In The Shade, Heavens On Fire

6. Foals, Total Life Forever
- listening to their songs feels like being inside a math problem and being able to solve it. great second album
- fave tracks: Spanish Sahara :heart:, 2 Trees, This Orient

7. Vampire Weekend, Contra
- less effort in this record on making us realize exactly just how weird they are; just pure idiosyncratic happiness
- fave tracks: Giving Up The Gun, California English Pt.2, Taxi Cab, Run

8. Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- i do not even listen to rnb or hiphop but ijustcanteven this album.
- fave tracks: Power, All Of The Lights, So Appalled, Blame Game

Janelle Monaé's The ArchAndroid
510CkdImptL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

amazon

Is THE best, period.

Marina and the diamonds "the family jewels"

although her album doesn't give her enough justice... she is so much more amazing in real life. her voice just stuns you.

coffecitymusiclounge.jpg

coffecitymusiclounge

I blame Coco "The constant"

brilliant, just like her father (Sting) and very refreshing.

countermag.jpg

counter mag

Kelis, Flesh Tone
Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Marina and the Diamonds, The Family Jewels
Eminem, Recovery
Kings of Leon, Come Around Sundown

1.Ke$ha : Cannibal(i haven't heard beats like this before,that why is it my no.1)
2.Christina Aguilera : Bionic (it's so great to see her again!)
3.Christina Aguilera : Burlesque
4.Rihanna : Loud
5.The Black Eyed Peas : The Beginning(it's a great album for the celebrating the new year!!)

^ Do you think "Cruel Summer" is about Alison Mosshart? :wink:

Haha, omg I've thought that too! :rofl: :shock:

My picks

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Beat The Devil's Tatoo
brokenbeard.jpg

brokenbeard.com

The Dead Weather
Sea of Cowards
paste.jpg

pastemagazine.com

The Black Keys
Brothers
pinpointmusic.jpg

pinpointmusic.com

Arcade Fire
The Suburbs
pastemagazinec2.jpg

pastemagazine.com

The Greenhornes
Four Stars
pastemagazinec3.jpg

pastemagazine.com

a little more specifically
....* Favourite SUMMER '10 albums! *.....

Karen Elson
The Ghost Who Walks
160grams.jpg

160grams.com

Beach House
Teen Dream
nmee.jpg

nme.com

She & Him
Volume 2
musicandcigaretteblogspoto.jpg

musicandcigarette.blogspot.org

1. Avenged Sevenfold-Nightmare(best metal album of the year)
  2. My Chemical Romance-Danger Days: The True Life of Fabulous Killjoys
  3. Bullet for My Valentine-Fever
  4. Kings of Leon-Come Around Sundown
  5. Stone Sour-Audio Secrecy
  6. The Black Keys-Brothers
  7. Iron Maiden-The Final Frontier
  8. Eminen-Recovery
  9. LCD Soundsystem-This Is Happening
  10. The Dead Weather-Sea of Cowards
I guess it was a great year for Metal and alternative fans, since a lot of albums of that genre were released this year ^_^

Here are my faves of this year in no particular order:

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Laura Marling - I Speak Because I Can
Tamaryn - The Waves
Warpaint - The Fool
Beach House - Teen Dream
Wavves - King Of The Beach
Best Coast - Crazy For You
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles (II)
Sleigh Bells - Treats

Now I've just got to try and catch up on all the good ones that I've missed. And I'm sure there's a lot. I'll try to check out some of the ones you guys have posted.

Hurts - Happiness
Jónsi - Go
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Ellie Goulding - Lights

Not many on my list, but this is a pretty eclectic mix of everything, and I'm sure there are a few I'm forgetting, but these are on the top, for me.

I feel more capable of listing the best albums of 2009 than 2010, there are many albums that I have yet to listen to or that I haven't listened enough to make a list that I won't regret later. But anyway...

Highway Rider - Brad Mehldau
: I found his new album really accessible, love at first sight, just like Largo and contrary to his trio albums that usually take more time to get used to. I hope that this doesn't mean that it doesn't stand multiple listens as well as the others (it happened with Largo), I bought it recently, so I don't know about that.

Emotion & Commotion - Jeff Beck: really good, if we forget "I put a spell on you"

Officium Novum - Jan Garbarek & The Hilliard Ensemble: I love Officium, so this one was a given

Others that I liked, Llyria by Nik Bärtsch's Ronin (I need to listen to it more) and Live Extracts by Eivind Aarset, I really enjoyed it, but it's a live album so it doesn't add anything new.

Finally, the greatest disappointment of the year, Wilding by Kammerflimmer Kollektief. The only tracks that I save are "time is the fire in which we burn" and "in transition". The rest of the album is totally lame, the new pop-like vocals have substituted the more experimental sounds of the previous albums, I hope this is a one time thing.

Hurts - Happiness
Bruno Mars - Doo-Wops & Hooligans
Travie McCoy - Lazarus
Nelly - 5.0
Ne-Yo - Libra Scale
Usher - Versus
The Script - Science & Faith
B.o.B - The Adventures of Bobby Ray

I must add Kanye West's album to my list.
I had only listened to the songs featuring Justin Vernon before but finally got the full album yesterday and I must say the album's just as good as all the critics made it out to be. It's really awesome.

I think I might check out some of the albums listed here (the Karen Elson one sounds intriguing).

For me, Interpol's self-titled album was the best album I heard in 2010. I also loved Broken Bells', Beach House's Teen Dream, The Radio Dept's Clinging to a Scheme, The National's High Violet and Crystal Castles' Crystal Castles II and Arcade Fire's The Suburbs. I also enjoyed Klaxons' Surfing the Void from what I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaywootoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->