Best Covers of 2006 -with cvr thumbnails-

I liked Kate Moss's US Vanity Fair cover. It was groovin'...

(groovin'? Gee whiz, I need to shut up before I embarass myself really bad.)

Vogue Russia
Best - March with Elena, June with Tanya
Worst - January with Lindsay, February with ?

I too would like to know who is on the cover of January Vogue Greece. And I'd like to know the photographer, if its Testino then he's essentially duplicated an old British Vogue he did ages ago with Liz Hurley... I still love the shot though and would love to see a larger version.

Also I have about half of the Vogue Brazil 06 covers. I'm missing: March, April June & July. Is there anyone who can help with the missing editions? Thanks in advance :D

US Vogue
Until seeing them all together like this, I'd never realized how often they pull the hair back. The covers are so uniform it hurts. Overall, I don't think they make very good cover choices. Using the actors sells, but none of the covers seem to actually convey anything about the chosen celeb--just that they pick the clothes without thought of who will wear it and how it looks on them. Kiera's dress is very unflattering on her, and Nicole's is a given. I think, though, that I'd choose January (Sienna), (Kate) and September (Kirsten) all as bests. Love the colors and composition of Sienna's and the fact that it's not what I've come to expect from them (i.e. predicatable & boring). The colors again on Kate's and the overall pink floral theme on Kirsten's. Worst goes to October (Sandra)--I don't even know where to start between the bright pink and the setting. Then there's the strange attempt at a summer cover for June (Uma) and the horrible March (Natalie) cover. Natalie's face completely destroys it, but it probably doesn't help matters any that she's very, very high up there on my most-loathed celebs list.

Vogue China
Hmm. . .I think they've done better than most this year, but I'm not terribly impressed either. The February (Du) cover is striking, but I think she would've looked better in a different color dress. Lily D's covers are both great (May and November), but that could easily be my bias talking. September's is also fabulous (Du, Ward & Sasha) with the colors and the composition. It's the one that manages to grab my attention and keep it. Worst is harder. . .January with Kate Moss is bland and I wish it wasn't so dark. March (Gemma) does nothing to make me reconsider my opinion of her as a really tall infant. I like the idea behind July's (Doutzen) but the end product isn't so good, and on August's MariaCarla looks like she's just seen a ghost.

UK Vogue
I think what annoys me most about any of Vogue UK's covers is the text. Not overusing it--they do okay there--it's the font they reuse month after month in seemingly increasing amounts. ("The Fashion Bible" on March, "Fashion Shapes Up" on April, "Kiss Me Quick" on May, etc.) The best cover--without a doubt--is January (Elise) It's crisp, clean, eye-catching. . .I love it. I can't even tell you what was inside the magazine or if I even liked the contents. I just know I had to have it. Elise's is the only one I'm going to choose for best because none of the rest stand up to it, but--and I'm surprised I'm saying it--Gemma's is actually very pretty. Worst, goes to June (Kate Moss #2) because of the slouching. March with Kate Moss again because it's so reminiscent of her Dior ads, which I also hated. I think there are some with potential though--May if Natalia's head wasn't covered with text, February's if Sienna was actually in front of a plain background, and April if Rachel didn't look so unhappy.

Vogue Paris
The covers look so underwhelming altogether like that. But best goes to August (Hilary). . .love the crisp and clean, and I think her facial expression doesn't look so... strange in print. Worst is--without a doubt (yes, again)--November. If anyone deserves a cover less it's- well, her. She hasn't accomplished anything and probably never will. To make matters worse, what in the world is she wearing?

Vogue Italia
Interesting ideas, but eh all the same. Heather Bratton's are lovely, Hilary's are not, Iselin's is just wrong, and I can't figure out what they were thinking with all the white on March (Amanda) and April (Coco) where I simply can not see the "pure wonder" they speak of. But I do love January (Irina & co.) as it's one of the very few places I'm completely sold on the androgyous theme. December's (Karen) is also very stunning.

Numero
Best goes to Dec/Jan '05/'06 (Lily D) [#69] because it's the one that gets my attention immediately. August (Amanda) [#76] and Septmber (Raquel) are also winners. I especially love how they mimicked the dual tones of the jacket in their text on the latter. Worst is a three way tie for February's (Doutzen) [#70] because it doesn't look likey they even tried, March (Leah) with the akward-looking pose and barely distinguishable text, and December (Coco) with the lighting and gaping mouth.

W
I never thought I'd say this, especially on a magazine with so many celeb covers, but I kinda like them. Even if I hate them, the composition works, and it's a far cry from what American Vogue puts out. If the Janet Jackson cover wasn't there, I'd have trouble finding something bad about it. I also love the August & September covers (Natalia & Christina). Now that I'm looking at them like this, W is great cover-wise. If nothing else they know how to compose them and they aren't overwhelmed with text.

V
Ouch! I hate them. Every last one. Best is 40 (Kate Moss) even though I could always do without the bleach blonde & tan look. 39 with Mariah Carey kinda works, I guess. It's not bad, but not fabulous either. The colors are gorgeous on 42 (Drew Barrymore) but the wig, makeup, and retouching are overwhelming. The eyes in the V on 43 are just plain frightening. Way too much of a close-up on 44 though it would've worked better at a different angle.

& now I've completely lost steam, so maybe I'll finish another day. Great thread, btw. ^_^

LibertyRose said:
German Vogue Mar: missing
I'm not sure but this is cover from March, isn't it?

Vogue Russia
Best: March – Elena Bagucci
Worst: February – Nastia

Vogue Greece:
Best: December
Worst: July

Vogue Espana:
Best: April - Valentina
Worst: November - Carmen Kass

Vogue Deutsch:
Best: October – Alyssa Miller and Darla Baker
Worst: July – Inguna

Vogue US
Best: March – Natalie Portman and September – Kirsten Dunst
Worst: July – Kate Hudson

Us Vogue's covers are boring and very predictable, I really don't like most of them. And always on the cover was actress [with only one exception - Linda].

Vogue China
Best: June - Freja
Worst: July - Doutzen

Vogue UK
Best: January: Elise Crombez
Worst: August – Jessica Stam

I really like Kate Moss but 3 cover during one year - it's too much. What about other models?

Vogue Paris
Best: December- January – Drew Barrymore
Worst:

Vogue Italia
Best: February – Heather Bratton, April – Coco Rocha, December – Karen Elson
Worst: October – Nicole Richie

Cover from February is my fav one from all the year.

Numero
Best: January – Lily Donaldson
Worst: March

W
Best: March – Kate Moss, September- Christina Ricci
Worst: October -Janet Jackson

Flair
Best: January – Małgosia Bela
Worst: December – Monica Belucci

Last edited by a moderator:
Like polkadot, I find that seeing all the covers together gives me a different impression of a magazine's output than I've formed from buying them each month - for a US magazine, W has regularly produced some real eye-catchers this year (for better or worse!) while French Vogue's covers seem underwhelming, seen as a whole.

What I truly lament though, is how uninspiring my home-grown edition, UK Vogue, has become with its covers. I could say, kudos to it for continuing to use models, but Vogue Espana also makes continual use of models on the cover and manages to create a new scenario each issue. UK Vogue has a low circulation and is read by highly fashion-literate people - it can afford to experiment, given its committed readership and position in the market. For a magazine that doesn't need to be desperately commercial about attracting readers, why are its covers now so bland?

I agree with your point on UK Vogue. Some of the covers are very bland, in paticular the Scarlett Johannson cover. I personally feel they should begin to use a wider range of more versatile models both inside the magazine and on the cover. Less Kate Moss perhaps!

The german vogue has some great covers! I really like the ones with Michaela, Natalia and JUlia!

^^ I agree they are usualy very simple but nice. Michaela´s cover is absolutely fabulous!!! Greman Vogue is one of my favorite editions.

US Vogue
- Best – Jan. Sienna/Testino (The colours are more original, and the pose is, not original, but a bit more interesting than the rest of them.)
- Worst – Apr. Jennifer/Testino & June: Uma/Testino (But I pretty much hate all of them except the Sienna one which is passable.)

Vogue China
- Best – Jan. Kate Moss & Nov. Lily Donaldson (Overall most of the covers are very good!)
- Worst – July. Doutzen (This is just not very good, kind of misplaced.)

UK Vogue
- Best – Aug. Jessica/Demarchelier & Jan. Elise
- Worst – Oct. Scarlett Johansson (So bland it hurts.)

Paris Vogue
- Best – May. Anna Mariya/Testino (LOVE this!)
- Worst – Hilary Rhonda/Testino

Vogue Italia
- Best – Apr. Coco, Aug. Iselin, Nov. Agyness & Dec. Karen (Sorry, I couldn’t pick only one)
- Worst – July. Anna Mariya

Numéro
- Best – 74. Anja (This is so cute! Perfect summer spirit.) & 79. Coco
- Worst – 70. Doutzen & 77

W
- Best – March. Kate Moss
- Worst – Jessica & Janet Jackson (What the f*ck?!!:(sick:

V
- Best – 40. Kate Moss (Beautiful!!)
- Worst – Don’t like any of the rest!

Flair
- Best – Mar. Diana Dondoe & Dec. Monica Bellucci