Best Covers of 2006 -with cvr thumbnails-

LibertyRose

memoirs of a...
Reaction score
I thought it would be neat if we gather the thumbnails of magazine covers and discuss the best designs (and worst too, if you wish) of 2006 for a particular magazine. For example, US Vogue, UK Vogue, Paris Vogue, Vogue Italia, German Vogue, Vogue China, W, and Flair could all have their respective best and worst covers. Personally I am not too keen on InStyle/Cosmo/Bazaar covers because they are just different versions of headshots... And I'd try to keep talks of models vs. actresses to a minimum because there is already a separate thread for it. This is for cover designs only.

So I'll start off with US Vogue and Vogue China. :flower:

Sorry for the quality and color distortion of the covers... The images were grabbed from eBay.

Thumbnails:

470p2sh.jpg
497dhco.jpg
33f3gab.jpg

4bojlgg.jpg
2sbjtpl.jpg
2evcmx3.jpg

481y8tk.jpg
30uy77k.jpg
3y7j8eu.jpg

2elv72u.jpg
4ckvvjo.jpg
2u41vz7.jpg

Credits:

US Vogue Jan: Sienna Miller in Chloe by Mario Testino
US Vogue Feb: Drew Barrymore in Hermes by Mario Testino
US Vogue Mar: Natalie Portman in Prada by Craig McDean
US Vogue Apr: Jennifer Aniston in Alexander McQueen by Mario Testino
US Vogue May: Keira Knightley in Gucci by Mario Testino
US Vogue June: Uma Thurman in swimsuit by Mario Testino
US Vogue July: Kate Hudson in Balenciaga by Mario Testino
US Vogue Aug: Linda Evangelista in Bottega Veneta by Steven Klein
US Vogue Sept: Kirsten Dunst by Annie Leibovitz
-US Vogue Oct: Sandra Bullock by Steven Meisel
US Vogue Nov: Cate Blanchett in Chanel couture by Steven Klein
US Vogue Dec: Nicole Kidman in Versace by Mario Testino

Behind the Scenes:

Mario Testino seems to have replaced old favorite Steven Meisel as Vogue's resident celebrity profiler, shooting seven out of twelve covers, though he was snubbed for the all-important March and September issues, which went to Craig McDean and Annie Leibovitz, respectively. Testino may be known for his glorious lighting, which turns his subjects into sun goddesses, but I feel current airbrushing technology is too advanced for its own good and wipes out the dimensions and shadings in Testino's work. His best piece for US Vogue, I believe, is not a cover shoot but the Gisele editorial with Eric Bana.

In terms of selecting a designer piece for the cover, I generally like US Vogue's political ways, though I think their timing leaves a lot to be desired. While US Vogue divides its twelve slots for big advertisers (Prada and Gucci won this year, while Ralph Lauren and Dior sat out) , commercially viable collections (Chloe), critics' darlings (Balenciaga), and one up-and-comer (Alexander McQueen), I often think that they choose the wrong winners and losers. I think Gucci has been atrocious for a long while now, so it is unfair that it got chosen over both Louis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs, who turned up excellent interpretations of the trend of the season (volume). Chloe's moment of brilliance was in 2005, and YSL is much more deserving of the spotlight this year. Balenciaga is hard to argue against, since its brand of equestrian chic won editors' hearts across the board, but I thank US Vogue for leaving out the riding hat at the least. Alexander McQueen, though an undeniable talent, won his first US Vogue cover for the absolute worst spring collection he has done, and on top of that had to dress Jennifer Aniston, who has no bearing on his stylish philosophy. However, I do give kudos to US Vogue for honoring the tradition that at least one couture piece gets the cover each year. Next time, bring back resort too!

Best and Worst:

I don't think it was a particularly good year for US Vogue. When it came time to decide what the best cover was, my mind drew a blank. The August cover with Linda Evangelista was an unanimous tFS favorite, but other than using a model, that cover has little merits. The hair is so weirdly done! I like the idea of Sienna Miller in Chloe and Cate Blanchett in Chanel couture (a pairing so perfect it makes complete sense) and, to some extent, Nicole Kidman in Versace (an idea so ironic it almost makes sense), but am not estatic about any of the execution. I guess if you put a gun to my head, I'd say Kirsten Dunst's September cover is the best, because all that pink definitely left a lasting impression.

I didn't have a problem with coming up with a worst cover. I hated Jennifer Aniston in April because it was a boring actress in a gaudy dress; Sandra Bullock in October because her pose is about as stiff as her acting (though the gowns she wore inside are lovely); Keira Knightley in May because it exhibited little of the youthful irreverence she showed in that pokka-dotted editorial; and Drew Barrymore in February because her image makeover is so coerced. She is only on covers because she makes a conscious effort to buy designer stuff (and possibly their friendships too). I love Jean Paul Gaultier for Hermes but that grecian dress is wasted on Drew.

picture source: eBay

Like: Linda, Kirsten and Sandra
Hate: Aniston, Knightley and Kidman

Vogue China 2006

Thumbnails:

2e4dk4p.jpg
2hi82op.jpg
2ljsrqv.jpg

2nqsflz.jpg
48dwd5i.jpg
2vs22kp.jpg

2r2n85i.jpg
2qlaomq.jpg
2cr0r4w.jpg

42ny2jr.jpg
2ups3lx.jpg
44imes2.jpg

Credits:

Vogue China Jan: Kate Moss in Marc Jacobs
Vogue China Feb: Du Juan
Vogue China March: Gemma Ward in Chloe
Vogue China April: Daria Werbowy in Armani prive
Vogue China May: Lily Donaldson in Givenchy
Vogue China June: Freja in Chanel couture
Vogue China July: Doutzen in Louis Vuitton
Vogue China Aug: Mariacarla in Miu Miu
Vogue China Sept: Du Juan (in Givenchy), Gemma Ward, Sasha
Vogue China Oct: Maggie Cheung
Vogue China Nov: Lily Donaldson in Balenciaga
Vogue China Dec: Gisele Bundchen

Best and Worst:

What a banner year for Vogue China!! A great mix of models, Asian personalities, and designers (Givenchy x 2; couture x 2). I am in love with half of the covers. The design is elegant, no-frills, without being repetitive like Vogue Nippon. My absolute favorite is May's Lily Donaldson in Givenchy: the pose, the hair, the label are perfection personified. Runner-ups would be Maggie Cheung, Gemma Ward, Kate Moss, Lily Donaldson again, and Gisele.

The worst would be April (Daria is too air-brushed) and July (Vuitton's AW collection is far superior to its SS one). Not really feeling Feb. or Sept. either.

picture source: This post is not made possible without the generous and much appreciated contributions of the following tFS members :heart:
Jan: Edison27
Feb: Edison27 (angdang)
March: Geocities.com (kiki sweetness)
April: bluedolphin
May: ericyoung1111
June: ShunaLucas
July: vogue.com.cn
Aug: vogue.com.cn
Sept: vogue.com.cn
Oct: bluedolphin
Nov: Edison27
Dec: cynthia wood

Last edited by a moderator:
US Vogue
Favorites: Linda and Natalie
Bad: Kiera and Nicole

Vogue China
Favorites: Daria and Gisele
Bad: Doutzen and Gemma (which sucks because I love them both)

the only US Vogue covers I really like are Siennas' and Kirstens but I absolutely love every Vogue China cover, it would be impossible for me to pick a favorite. Thanks for all the covers, this thread was a great idea!

First of all I :heart: your thumbnails!!

US VOGUE
Best -August/ Linda Evangelista - i know i am biased i just dont like to see actresses on the cover of Vogue otherwise i would pick February/Drew!
Worst - January/ Sienna or Spetember/Kirsten

VOGUE CHINA
Best - September/Gemma, Du, Sasha and I also like April/Daria
Worst - March/Gemma and October/Maggie whoever it is

US Vogue
Best: Jan./ Sienna Miller
Worst: Dec./ Nicole Kidman

China Vogue
Best: June/ Freja or Sept./ Du, Sasha, and Gemma
Worst: March/ Gemma

It's disappointing to see how crappy US Vogue covers look compared to China's :ninja:

bigcw8.jpg
big [bigmag]

purplebx1.jpg
purple [purple.fr]

popcp1.jpg
pop magazine [myspace]

vja4.jpg
v [vmagazine]

US VOGUE,
kirsten dunst.

VOGUE CHINA,
daria and freja.

looking at US Vogue covers as a whole like that is shocking. they're so dull. i hope they improve over the course of 2007.

Cosette said:
looking at US Vogue covers as a whole like that is shocking. they're so dull. i hope they improve over the course of 2007.

That exactly what came into my mind after comparing those 2 mags. Us Vogue doesnt look like fashion mag in comparison to China Vogue and I dont even want to compare with Italian or French versions...

Vogue China

Favourites: Kate Moss / Gem, Du, Sash / Gisele [Apart from Gisele, I hadnt seen the others so thankyou!

Worst: Doutzen [The font and her look really bad] Gemma[April] Nice cover, just dont like the hair

I like Siennas,Lindas and Nicoles US Vogue covers!
And from Vogue China i like them all but that Kate Moss cover is just beautiful!

UK Vogue 2006

Thumbnails:

48c5qon.jpg
34s2s11.jpg
29pq7nn.jpg

2njeg0n.jpg
3yeglr4.jpg
2mpygbr.jpg

2a5bzpl.jpg
4igg552.jpg
2dankp3.jpg

4cath09.jpg
4ggyv7t.jpg
2j2ul9g.jpg

Credits:

UK Vogue Jan: Elise in Dior by Patrick Demarchelier
UK Vogue Feb: Sienna Miller in Balenciaga by Nick Knight
UK Vogue Mar: Kate Moss in Louis Vuitton by Nick Knight
UK Vogue Apr: Rachel Weisz
UK Vogue May: Natalia Vodianova in Dolce & Gabbana
UK Vogue June: Kate Moss in Dior by Craig McDean
UK Vogue July: Gemma Ward by Corinne Day
UK Vogue Aug: Jessica Stam by Patrick Demarchelier
UK Vogue Sept: Kate Moss by Nick Knight
UK Vogue Oct: Scarlett Johansson in Armani Prive by Patrick Demarchelier
UK Vogue Nov: Mischa Barton by Regan Cameron
UK Vogue Dec: Commemorative issue (collarge)

Best and Worst:

While still turning out stellar editorials issue after issue, UK Vogue's covers this year are average at best. Some are crisp (Jan and Sept), some echoes the current mood in fashion (Sienna Miller in the baroque Balenciaga), some are too plain to be a cover choice (Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Stam), and some are so badly air-brushed that the girls appeared ill (Rachel Weisz and Mischa Barton). The two covers with themes are especially poorly designed: Natalia Vodianova doing a tired and poor imitation of Lolita has no business represeting Anglomania, and the December collarge didn't put the most iconic covers on the page.

As usual, there is an eclectic mix of models (7 cvrs) and actresses (4 cvrs) but, technically, only four models were on the cover, because Kate Moss alone had three. I feel that Ms. Moss is also responsible for the best and the worst covers: September is the best, and June the worst. Elise's Jan. cvr is a close runner-up for cover of the year.

picture source:
Jan: UK Vogue.com
Feb: Dieselmax
Mar: Vogue.co.uk (thanks anastars)
Apr: dfl-001
May: Vogue.co.uk (thanks anastars)
June: justadreamer
July: eBay
Aug: imgmodels.com (thanks opheliarose)
Sept: eBay
Oct: glosoli
Nov: Truebluejean
Dec: Vogue.co.uk (thanks tigerrogue)

I actually really like most of the Vogue UK covers, except for the Sienna Miller one.

LibertyRose said:
I thought it would be neat if we gather the thumbnails of magazine covers and discuss the best designs (and worst too, if you wish) of 2006 for a particular magazine. For example, US Vogue, UK Vogue, Paris Vogue, Vogue Italia, German Vogue, Vogue China, W, and Flair could all have their respective best and worst covers. Personally I am not too keen on InStyle/Cosmo/Bazaar covers because they are just different versions of headshots...

Credits:

US Vogue Jan: Sienna Miller in Chloe by Mario Testino
US Vogue Feb: Drew Barrymore in Hermes by Mario Testino
US Vogue Mar: Natalie Portman in Prada by Craig McDean
US Vogue Apr: Jennifer Aniston in Alexander McQueen by Mario Testino
US Vogue May: Keira Knightley in Gucci by Mario Testino
US Vogue June: Uma Thurman in swimsuit by Mario Testino
US Vogue July: Kate Hudson in Balenciaga by Mario Testino
US Vogue Aug: Linda Evangelista in Bottega Veneta by Steven Klein
US Vogue Sept: Kirsten Dunst by Annie Leibovitz
-US Vogue Oct: Sandra Bullock by Steven Meisel
US Vogue Nov: Cate Blanchett in Chanel couture by Steven Klein
US Vogue Dec: Nicole Kidman in Versace by Mario Testino
The best cover, photographically speaking, to my mind is the February cover with Drew Barrymore by Testino. It's just a powerful image and the Hermes dress is shown to it's best advantage. First runner up is Cate Blanchett's November Chanel couture cover by Steven Klein - it's irresistably dramatic. And second runner up, for me, is the Linda Evangelistsa cover, in stark contrast to the November cover with its tranquile beauty. Overall, I think it's been a good year for American vogue as far as editorial content goes, with a strong start of the year (esp March) and a great finish (November and December).

Worst? Well, that's easy - Jennifer Anniston's ghastly cover (so over, this is the third time they use exactly the same angle), Keira Knightly's "concentration camp victim meets mentally challenged, who is trying to look clever by frowning but ends up looking like she's taking a dump" look and Uma Thurman's strange transformation into slouchy whimp.

I think Bazaar covers are worth discussing. In no way are they comparable to InStyle! I never understood what would make head shots less artistically interesting, and besides, they usually don't do just head shots. Bazaar may not be experiencing their stronger cover years, but is still lightyears away from InStyle.

As for British Vogue, I pick June (Kate Moss) - just deliciously Dior grunge rock n roll wonder, September (Kate Moss) - drab, minimalistic and gutsy - and December (composite) - a wonderful reminder of all those great years of British Vogue!

Paris Vogue 2006

Thumbnails:

491mz46.jpg
2i9tlc1.jpg

2w4irs9.jpg
2s1adfo.jpg
33cpw5w.jpg

4dogpis.jpg
2i0yde9.jpg

2u8gv29.jpg
2j0xe2x.jpg
4gf3ndj.jpg

Credits:

Paris Vogue Feb: Mariacarla & Patricia Schmid in Louis Vuitton by Mario Testino
Paris Vogue Mar: Sharon Stone by David Sims
Paris Vogue Apr: Natalia Vodianova in YSL by Patrick Demarchelier
Paris Vogue May: Anna Mariya Urazhevskaja in Versace by Mario Testino
Paris Vogue June-July: Jennifer Connelly in Balenciaga by David Sims
Paris Vogue Aug: Hilary Rhoda by Mario Testino
Paris Vogue Sept: Stam, Gemma, Snejana, Sasha in Chanel by craig McDean
Paris Vogue Oct: Natalia Vodianova in Dolce & Gabbana by Mario Testino
Paris Vogue Nov: Paris Hilton by Mario Testino
Paris Vogue Dec-Jan: Drew Barrymore in Dior by Nick Knight

Best and Worst:

Say what you will about Paris Vogue's standing in the industry, but my anticipation for the magazine generally outweighs my appreciation for it. It's very interesting to see who and what gets the cover, but I haven't been keen on collecting the issues. I guess that's the allure of a controversy: you want to see it, but you don't necessarily want to have it. The September issue generated endless discussions because of the lovely models on tFS, and the November issue did the same for the exact opposite reason. To me, they are about equally adequate. The one trend in covers I find the most bizzare is the continuous fascination with Natalia Vodianova's pregnancy. Why does she need two covers, during and after her pregnancy?

With that being said, my favorite is the Dec-Jan cover. The juxtaposition of gold and silver reminds me of shooting stars. Now only if Drew Barrymore were a little dreamier... The worst is August, which is a throwback to the 80's that nobody asked for.

picture source:
Feb: Dieselmax
Mar: arn80
Apr: OriginalSin
May: imgmodels.com (thanks kaschemme)
June-July: evisu donna
Aug: models.com (thanks fashionologie)
Sept: Diorette
Oct: Dieselmax
Nov: Dieselmax
Dec: o'sole

Agreed, that August Hilary cover was not good. Overall, these covers are rather unabashedly retro in one way or another, but overall in a pretty current way - merging the past with the present. Such as for instance in my favourite cover - Anna Mariya/Testino may cover - the cut of the dress is something you wouldn't have seen on a cover in the 70s, yet the look in the model's eyes is one you could only really find in the 70s. Until now, of course :P

In this batch is the best magazine of the year - namely the April issue, which under its underwhelming Natalia cover hides some absolutely astonishing editorials - especially the Demarchelier editorial.

Thanks for these reviews LR, much appreciated :flower:

Paris Vogue

best- hilary rhoda in the august issue! she looks so amazing and captivating!

worst- definitely paris hilton in the november issue..WHAT WAS CARINE THINKING?!?!

Vogue Italia 2006

Thumbnails:

29c0ti1.jpg
2agutmw.jpg
2l9md5s.jpg

2e1rnew.jpg
42it44y.jpg
3zkscud.jpg

34h6of8.jpg
33vklyt.jpg
3ypfz4l.jpg

29zokd5.jpg
2m4uplc.jpg
2s80eud.jpg

Credits:

Vogue Italia Jan: Irina + 2 male mods
Vogue Italia Feb: Heather Bratton
Vogue Italia Mar: Amanda Moore
Vogue Italia Apr: Coco Rocha
Vogue Italia May: Heather Bratton
Vogue Italia June: Hilary Rhoda
Vogue Italia July: Anna-Maria Urajevskaya
Vogue Italia Aug: Iselin
Vogue Italia Sept: Hilary Rhoda
Vogue Italia Oct: Nicole Richie
Vogue Italia Nov: Agyness Deyn
Vogue Italia Dec: Karen Elson

Best and Worst:

Vogue Italia covers are products of Steven Meisel's personal photography lab and forecast emerging supermodels. Meisel definitely has a knack for picking the best cheekbones in the business: Irina, Coco Rocha, Hilary Rhoda, and Agyness had an international breakthrough thanks to his blessings. Amanda Moore's surprise return did not lead to more runway presence, but she did snatch a Lanvin perfume campaign. The Nicole Richie cover is evidence for Meisel's increasing interest in soap opera, following his Desperate Housewives-esque editorial in US Vogue and Us Weekly-inspired 50-pg story for Vogue Italia one year ago. Seeing irony once in a year is not bad at all, even in a fashion magazine.

Most of the covers are a nod to the 80's. I think July and November are the best because the models really shine. Don't like Jan. and April because of the unflattering poses. August is prob. the weakest in terms of composition and lighting.

A sad thing that I only purchased two issues of Vogue Italia this year: Oct and Dec. Would've liked to get June and Sept. as well.

picture source:
Jan: models.com (thanks fleur137)
Feb: models.com (thanks kimair)
Mar: fabri
Apr: Why Not Milan (cake batter)
May: rimoe
June: Hilaryrhoda.com (thanks Faith Akiyama)
July: Faith Akiyama
Aug: pressedefrance.com (thanks Pedro)
Sept: iconography (thanks fleur137)
Oct: modelhistory
Nov: o'sole
Dec: DNA.com (thanks Nelly Cat)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clem3166