Best Covers of 2006 -with cvr thumbnails-

Vogue US
best--Drew Barrymore
worst--Cate Blanchett(that doesn't even look like her) and Jen Aniston

Vogue China
best--Gisele, Du-Sasha-Gemma
worst--Maggie Cheung(terribly airbrushed),Doutzen(everything was wrong)

Vogue UK
best--Elise and Stam(both very clean and fresh)
worst--Sienna Miller and Natalia V.

Vogue Paris
best--Drew Barrymore and Hilary Rhoda
worst--Anna Marya(how boring!)

iluvjeisa said:
Thanks for these reviews LR, much appreciated :flower:

iluvjeisa, I look forward to your review of Vogue China, if you have time. :flower: I think Vogue China has the best covers this year.

The retro mood is not as apparent in Paris Vogue as it is in Vogue Italia. I think Paris Vogue covers have been all over the place this year. I love Patrick Demarchelier, but his clean lines and soft lighting hardly go hand-in-hand with Paris Vogue. The Feb. cover is prob. the most "Paris" cover this year: a little trashy (neon-colored plastic minis) and a little edgy (the debut of a blonde Mariaclara).

Vogue Italia
I love almost every cover.
best--Amanda, Karen Elson,Agyness Deyn
worst--Nicole Richie(why 2? double ewww!)

Thank you for the thread and your reviews, LibertyRose. :flower:

You're welcome. :smile:
I'll do W and German Vogue and possibly Vogue Nippon too tomorrow.
It doesn't take as long as I thought.
I don't have a scanner, but I am capable of resizing the hell out of everything. :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate vogue US covers.
I wish they didn't use celebrities.

Vogue US: The Linda cover gets best in my eyes for being the only model cover. Other than that I liked the September cover because it had the theme going. As for worst, where do I start? The Uma cover reminded me in some ways of Ujjwala's Elle India cover in June but worse. Sienna Miller looks like Jen Aniston in that, and Jen Aniston...don't get me started.

Vogue UK: Not great as far as covers, the best were Elise, Sienna, and Natalia. I didn't like any of Kate Moss' covers and while I adore Stam her cover was so Coco Rocha-esque.

Vogue Paris: Definitely better covers than the two editions above. Anna-Mariya is absolutely amazing in the cover she had, no wonder she's a favourite of mine! I loved Mariacarla and Patricia as well. But as far as worst...Paris Hilton. Need I say more?

Vogue Italia: Even better than Paris! Heather Bratton's covers were amazing and I'll go so far as to say (to some people) iconic. Anna-Mariya has yet another stellar cover and Agyness getting her first cover as yet another retro-inspired shot, but it was amazing. And the Hilary Rhoda covers were both great, the first being so campy and the second being as intense as the Heather Bratton cover from Feb. As far as worst, two words: COCO ROCHA. And Nicole Richie.

July is the worst Italian cover, it's so cheap looking and vulgar. Gross!

In terms of all the magazines, I think Vogue Italia definatly has the best covers!

VOGUE PARIS
Best: May/ Anna Maria - August/Hilary (even though her expresion is really dull) - September/ Stam, Snejana, Sasha Gemma (i would like it even more without Stam she is kind ouf pushed aside anyway) I like this kind of 80´s reference.
Worst: no doubts November/Paris :yuk:

VOGUE ITALIA
Best: I love almost all of them Mr. Meistel is an ultimate cover king. Cant choose.
Worst: October/Nicole and out of the rest I do not necesarily like to see April with Coco - she looks so unatractive there ....

One thing I can't stand bout Vogue China's cover is the bilingual thing. Why do they just have to put both English letters and Chinese characters and end up having so many letters/characters there?! C'mon, we DO read Chinese!

Vogue Italia !@!!!!
i like Vogue Italia 's all cover, all look great!

Vogue China has had a great cover year - lots of gorgeous images, but marred by all the text, although most of it has no meaning to me and looks very decorative, really. Anyway, I love the covers but I carry a slight grudge toward Vogue China because of their poor paper quality, or rather that some of my copies have started to loose their covers although I have treated them very gently. :ninja: I only purchased one of these this year, but if it weren't for the poor quality I would have gotten more of them, as they are often great.

Lily Donaldson's two covers, May nad November, are both stunning to me. The first is just so sweet and simple, whereas the latter is so tounge-in-cheek cute. Probably the most fetching cover, however, is Freja's June cover. Least favourites are Gisele's December cover (I'm not ready for milennium retro, thank you very much), and Gemma's and Maria Carla's rather weak looking covers. It's interesting to note that the Vogue China covers prefer strong poses with arms poking out - I like that. Overall, the shots are quite interesting, probably the most interesting out of all the Vogue issues, but not the best executed.

LibertyRose said:
Best and Worst:

What a banner year for Vogue China!! A great mix of models, Asian personalities, and designers (Givenchy x 2; couture x 2). I am in love with half of the covers. The design is elegant, no-frills, without being repetitive like Vogue Nippon. My absolute favorite is May's Lily Donaldson in Givenchy: the pose, the hair, the label are perfection personified. Runner-ups would be Maggie Cheung, Gemma Ward, Kate Moss, Lily Donaldson again, and Gisele.

The worst would be April (Daria is too air-brushed) and July (Vuitton's AW collection is far superior to its SS one). Not really feeling Feb. or Sept. either.

picture source: This post is not made possible without the generous and much appreciated contributions of the following tFS members :heart:
Jan: Edison27
Feb: Edison27 (angdang)
March: Geocities.com (kiki sweetness)
April: bluedolphin
May: ericyoung1111
June: ShunaLucas
July: vogue.com.cn
Aug: vogue.com.cn
Sept: vogue.com.cn
Oct: bluedolphin
Nov: Edison27
Dec: cynthia wood

Thanks for the pictures Libertyrose!

Vogue US:
Best: Linda Evangelista
Worst: Uma Thurman, weird styling

Vogue China:
Best: Du Juan
Worst: Lily Donaldson in Balenciaga

Vogue UK:
Best: Natalia Vodianova or Elise Crombez
Worst: Sienna Miller

Vogue Paris:
Best: Drew Barrymore
Worst: Paris Hilton

Vogue Italia:
Best: Heather Bratton - summer mood
Worst: Nicole Richie

Last edited by a moderator:
Vogue US:
Best: Cate Blanchett (nov)
Worst: Uma Thurman (june)
Vogue China:
Best: Daria (april)
Worst: Doutzen (july)
Vogue UK:
Best: Elise (jan)
Worst: Sienna (feb)
Vogue Paris:
Best: Natalia (april) & Drew (dec)
Worst: Paris (nov)
Vogue Italia:
Best: Irina (jan)
Worst: Anna-Maria (july) & Nicole Richie

Wonderfull thread, thanks for aal the effort Libert Rose!

Vogue US
Best: Cate Blanchett-Nov
Worst: Keira Knightley-May

Vogue UK (Overall a very weak year)
Best: Elise-Jan
Worst: Sienna Miller-Feb (one of my least magazine covers ever, I hate it)

Vogue Paris
Best: Maria Carla & Patricia-Feb
Worst: Natalia V-April

Vogue Italia (In my opinion it can do no wrong, Meisel is a genius, so it is rather difficult to choose the best, but the worst one is easy...)
Best: Hilary-Sept
Worst: Mimi Roche-Sept

Vogue China (Sadly, it is still not available in Hollans so I've only seen the scans here, and judging on the scans...)
Best: Daria-April
Worst: Doutzen-July

Vogue Germany
I havn't bought all of them, so I dont remeber all of them. The one I liked best is october with Darla Baker & ALyssa Miller by Vincent Peter, such a drastic change for Vogue Germany, too bad it wasn't a starting point for something better...

Vogue Nippon I love Vogue Nippon, and by every issue, but it is hard to remember wich month was what becuase all the covers are virtually the same, but I think the best was august with Natalia V. I hope that the new february cover is a startingpoint for a different cover lay out.

W
Best: Natalia V-Aug
Worst: Janet-Okt

Harper's Bazaar
Best: Sharon Stone-April (Mario Sorrenti)
Worst: Jennifer Lopez-December

Vogue US:
Overall: Boring. So many actresses. Hate it. :sick:
Best: Natalie Portman MARCH // Without thinking of Vogue as a Fashion magazine: JANUARY
Worst
: December, February

Vogue CHINA:

Overall
: very high fashion, nice poses, nice dresses
Best: February: Du Juan (nice colours, nice pose) & June: Freja Erichsen (like the black & white with the red lipstick)
Worst: December: Gisele. What is she doing with her neck? & July: Doutzen. Colours are ridiculous

Vogue UK:

Overall: Too much Kate Moss. Too much photoshop
Best: July: Gemma Ward: So innocent & November: Mischa Barton. An outdoor cover :clap:
Worst: February: Sienna Miller - too overloaded & October: Scarlett Johannesson - Dull expression

Vogue PARIS:

Overall: hmm... I like them
Best: August: Hilary Rhoda - Simply hot. Great shoot. I like April with Natalia as well
Worst: November: What is THAT? Paris??

Vogue ITALIA:
Overall: Colourful. And eye-catching.
Best: May: Heather Bratton. Very beautiful! & August: Iselin.
Worst: October: Nicole Richie. What did they think??? Awful.

kevinnn said:
US Vogue
Favorites: Linda and Natalie
Bad: Kiera and Nicole

Vogue China
Favorites: Daria and Gisele
Bad: Doutzen and Gemma (which sucks because I love them both)

Agree--Daria cover is the best for composition

I dont remember many covers that i liked this year.. I know there were quite a few.. but here are some that I remember I loved..^_^ :heart:

http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=claudiaae5.jpg

1. I-D Magazine Sept 06. [scanned by Susie_Bubble]
2. Número 72 [numero-magazine.com]
3. W Magazine November 2006 [freja beha archive on MSN]

Quite a few! :magic:

Vogue IT :
May 2006 - Ph. Steven Meisel - Model: Heather Bratton [Storm]
August 2006 - Ph. Steven Meisel - Models: Iselin and Natasa V [MODA]
December 2006 - Ph. Steven Meisel - Model: Karen Elson [DNA]

vogueitaug06iselinnatasvj1.jpg

Numéro :
#77 - Ph. Solve Sundsbo - Model: Raquel Zimmermann [MODA]
#78 - Ph. Greg Kadel - Model: Gemma Ward [MODA]

W November 2006 - Ph. Mario Sorrenti - Model: Freja Beha [W]

V #40 - Ph. David Sims - Model: Kate Moss [katefan.net]

v402006katemossphdavidsmp5.jpg

Vogue Paris December 2006 - Ph. Nick Knight - Model: Drew Barrymore [Vogue.fr]

Dazed & Confused December 2006 - Ph. Terry Richardson - Model: Zooey Deschanel [zooey-deschanel.net]

dazedconfuseddec2006zoond6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samira Jafo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->