Best Covers of 2006 -with cvr thumbnails-

Wow such a sh*tty year for Covers with US Vogue. I guess my favorite would have to be Jennifer Aniston just because she looks so great but otherwise not that special a cover.

Looking at all the Paris Vogue covers altogether, I have to say, I'm quite disappointed. Some are great, but I found Natalia's most latter cover extremely disappointing. Most Impressive goest to Vogue China, IMO. :heart:

Numero Covers 2006:

NUMERO:
My personal favorite Numero cover would have to be Anja's June/July cover. Its cheey, unexpected and just a little bit naughty. I felt it captured the perfect summer spirit and it stood out amidst the crowd of headshots. I also enjoyed Angela's cover, there is something very modern about the way that shot was photographed. I like how you can see her pores.

Credit: Numero Magazine Covers Collection

W 2006 Covers

W:

My favorite W covers of the year were Natalia's Clockwork Orange-esque August cover and November's stunning Art Issue. Those were incredible. I also enjoyed Cameron Diaz's December Mert & Marcus beach goddess cover. I think its really one of the best pictures I've seen of her ever and its leaps and bounds ahead of most celebrity cover fare. As for worst, I think the lifeless Janet Jackson and Jessica Simpson covers illustrate precisely why magazine covers are better left to models.

Credit: Style.com | Madonnalicious | Faded Youth | Kate Fan

Vogue US
Best: Keira Knightley-May, Uma Thurman-June
Worst: Kate Hudson-July

Vogue UK
Best: Elise-Jan, Kate Moss-March, Natalia Vodianova-may
Worst: Sienna Miller-Feb, Gemma Ward-July

Vogue Paris
Best: Jennifer Connelly-June, Drew Barrymore-Dec
Worst: Natalia V-April

Vogue Italia
Best: Heather Bratton-Feb, Agyness Deyn-Nov
Worst: Nicole Richie-Oct, Anna-Maria Urajevskaya-July

Vogue China
Best: Du Juan-Feb, Daria Werbowy-Apr, Mariacarla-Aug, Gisele Bundchen-Dec
Worst: Doutzen-July

Vogue Germany
Best: Doutzen-Jan,
Worst: Anna J-March

Vogue Nippon
Best: Sasha P-April
Worst: Doutzen

W
Best: Madonna-June
Worst: Jessica Simpson-Apr

Harper's Bazaar
Best: Julianne Moore-Jan, Sharon Stone-April
Worst: Gwyneth Paltrow-Sept

Luxx thankyou so much for those, karma for you :wink:

Numero:

Best: 74 with Anja, 77 with Raquel, for sure 78 with Gemma - she looked gorgeous here. 79 with Coco

Worst: As for the worst, I dont actually dislike any of them, I just dont prefer them...

W:

Best: Kate Moss [April] I like Christina Ricci's actually [Sept]

Worst: Jessica Simpson, Madonna, Kate Bosworth, I really dont like Vodianovas...

Numero:
Best: 76 with Amanda Moore
Worst: 71, it's kind of bland, not enough contrast between writing and the picture

W:
Good editorials, bad covers
I don't really like any of them but if I had to choose.

Best: Natalia Vodianova
Worst: Janet Jackson

Vogue US: Best: Cate Blanchett
Worst: Nicole Kidman

Vogue China: Best: Kate Moss
Worst: Gemma Ward

Vogue Uk: Best: Stam
Worst: Scarlet Johansson

Vogue Paris: Best: Stam, Gemma, Sasha, Snejana
Worst: Paris Hilton

Vogue Italia: Best: Iselin
Worst: Heather Bratton

Numero: Best: Raquel. Then close behind Snejana
Worst: I like them all but i guess the most plain is Lily

W: Best: The Art Issue
Worst: Janet Jackson, Natalia.

Numéro:
Best: 73 (Angela), 75 (Freja)
Worst: 78 (Gemma), 79 (Coco)

W:
Best: Freja (nov)
Worst: Jessica and Janet

US Vogue
best - Linda Evangelista, August
worst - Sienna Miller, January

China Vogue
i loved every single cover so it's kinda hard to pick a favorite...

British Vogue
best - Kate Moss, of course!!
worst - Scarlett, and Sienna

W
best - Kate Moss (her best cover of the whole year!!)
worst - Janet Jackson

Harpers Bazaar
worst - Britney, Lindsay
no best, since they always showed actresses and no models whatsoever...

Best covers to me..

Vogue US
August - Linda Evangelista
November - Cate Blanchett

Vogue Paris
May - Anna Maria U.
September - Sasha, Stam, Gemma & Snejana
December/January (2007) - Drew Barrymore (both 2 covers)

Vogue Italia
February - Heather Bratton
May - Heather Bratton
August - Iselin & Natasa
November - Agyness Deyn

Vogue UK
January - Elise Crombez
May - Natalia Vodianova
August - Jessica Stam

Vogue Japan
April - Sasha Pivovarova
May - Jessica Stam

Vogue China
May - Lily Donaldson
October - Maggie Cheung
December - Gisele Bundchen

Numero
Dec 05/Jan 06 #66 - Lily Donaldson
May #73 - Angela Lindvall
August #75 - Freja Beha
October #77 - Raquel Zimmermann

W US
February - Reese Witherspoon
June - Madonna
September - Christina Ricci
November - Freja Beha

The worst covers I chose

Vogue US
April - Jennifer Anniston
July - Kate Hudson

Vogue Paris
April - Natalia Vodianova
November - Paris Hilton :yuk: :ninja:

Vogue Italia
October - Nicole Richie

Vogue UK
October - Scarlett Johansson

Numero
February #70 - Doutzen Kroes
November #78 - Gemma Ward

W US
October - Janet Jackson

H. Bazaar US
July - Lidsay Lohan
August - Britney Spears

US Vogue

Best: Natalie Portman (I love her hair!)
Worst: Jennifer Anniston

Italian Vogue: It's been a good year in covers overall...especially Heather Bratton's two covers, my fave is the May cover, but also Amanda Moore's cover. My least favourite has got to be the Iselin cover, even worse than the so so boring Richie cover, and the corresponding editorial inside also served as a powerful mood depressor, in a bad way.

Numero: Also an excellent year. If I had to pick one it has to be the Anja cover for its originality and sheer perfection. Amanda's and Snejana's are also fabulous, of course. Least favorite - it's between the Doutzen and Raquel covers. The latter two aren't that bad, but Doutzen's face looks so unstructured somehow, and Raquel's is just plain boring.

W: Ok, THIS one is easy as far as what is worst - no not Janet - but the fish lip cover with Jessica Simpson. When I first saw it I was convinced it was fake...it is just so non-descript. The Janet cover is also atrocious, and the Olsen cover, of course. The best one - is a little tougher - I do love the Cameron Diaz cover (I'm a sucker for those 80s power poses), but the Ricci cover is such a perfect fall cover and the art issue is also quite sublime. The Kate Moss cover is also a winner.

Thank you so much Luxx!! :flower: :flower:

The Credits for W magazine 2006:

W Jan: Mary-Kate Olsen by David Sims
W Feb: Reese Witherspoon in Louis Vuitton by Michael Thompson
W Mar: Kate Moss by Craig McDean
W Apr: Jessica Simpson by Michael Thompson
W May: Lindsay Lohan & Meryl Streep by Michael Thompson
W June: Madonna by Steven Klein
W July: Kate Bosworth by Michael Thompson
W Aug: Natalia Vodianova by Mert & Marcus
W Sept: Christina Ricci by Mert & Marcus
W Oct: Janet Jackson by Michael Thompson
W Nov: Freja by Mario Sorrenti
W Dec: Cameron Diaz by Mert & Marcus

Behind the Scene:

Photographer tally:
David Sims - 1
Michael Thompson - 5 (he shoots a whole lot more for Allure, I am sure)
Craig McDean - 1
Steven Klein - 1 (Madonna's good deed of the year, along with adoption)
Mario Sorrentti - 1
Mert & Marcus - 3

Model count: 3 out of 12 (Kate Moss, Natalia Vodianova, Freja), in keeping with W tradition.

Looking at the tally really makes me wonder what happened to Craig McDean. He got off to a stellar year, shooting both March covers for US Vogue and W, then pretty much disappeared from American publications. Did his September project for Vogue Paris consume him completely??

Best and Worst:

I like the design of a lot of the W covers, but feel lukewarm about the execution. I like the side-swept bangs and the teal on Mary Kate, the delicious and nonchalant pairing of a plastic dress with wet hair and a red pout (sounds vulgar, but is actually miles more interesting than the runway look), a backless ball gown on Kate Moss, the shadow on Kate Bosworth's face, and a glimpse into Cameron Diaz's body of a bronzed goddess. However, I also don't like the boredom Mary Kate's eyes project, the fact that they used the 30-year-old Reese Witherspoon as the modern Lolita, how the purple cast on Kate Moss's makeup cheapened her look, and seeing Cameron Diaz's or anyone's armpit. So I guess, through the process of elimination, Madonna wins. Coincidentally, it is also the weakest issue of the year in terms of content, showing some 40+ pages of Madonna and nothing else. Sure Steven Klein is a master, but Madonna today is no longer interesting enough to deserve an exclusive issue. Last year's Bragelina issue, however, I cherished.

The worst cover would be Lindsay Lohan and Meryl Streep, because the former turns everything she touches into trash. What a self-conscious poser she is. Just terrible. I also thought Natalia Vodianova looked like a moron in the Balenciaga riding hat. A shame that of all the splendidly moody pictures Mert & Marcus shot for the issue, this one ended on the cover. Janet Jackson, ugh. Christina Ricci's cover should elicit much hate mail from PETA, and deservedly so. I like the idea of bare collarbones wrapped in some luxurious material, but the color of that fur is revolting. I am in the minority here, but I do not like that Art issue cover at all. A full-body shot with so much water color is visually ajar.

Jessica Simpson I can tolerate. Visually, it is uncontroversial and rather forgettable. Funny that the exact same hairstyle ended up in Versace's autumn-winter campaign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Numero 2006

Best and Worst:

My favorite would be Lily Donaldson's Jan. cover. Procelain and rogue, how delicate. Is she wearing YSL? I am also quite partial to Raquel's cover because of how the colors are divided. The styling also feels appropriately 80's.

The worst in my opinion is Snejana's cover. Everytime I see her, I have the urge to check her pulse. The Coco Rocha cover is also a headscratcher. After seeing this and her Vogue Italia cover, I just don't think she's a good model at all. And somehow she got an only-girl edit in US Vogue before Hilary Rhoda? I love Freja but I don't like the Chanel-and-monk look. It was too Stella Tennant.

What's in between: Doutzen is sizzling but for some reason she doesn't do the swan-neck thing too well. Gemma has the same purple cast on her face (and blond hair) as Kate Moss did on the March cover of W. In fact, I find these two covers to be conceptually similar. I loved Angela Lindvall's type of androgeny, and it was a look that she used a lot when she first got started ten years ago, but for some reason this one didn't grab me as much as her earlier stuff. I appreciate the fuschia lip and lime-green letters, however.

I love all the Numero covers, I would wallpaper my room with all of them if I could, my favorite is the Gemma cover cause it shows a different side of her than we've seen before and Cocos cover with the dramatic makeup and fashion. This has been my least favorite year of W covers, the jessica simpson one is just ehhhhh and Janets too does nothing for me whatsoever but Kate, MaryKate and Kate Bosworth all look beautiful

V Magazine 2006

Thumbnails:

44imdlv.jpg
2yyrszc.jpg
30sub6v.jpg

2h3v5hw.jpg
2zzsxgw.jpg
2i7brrr.jpg

Credits:

V 39: Mariah Carey by Karl Lagerfeld
V 40: Kate Moss by David Sims
V 41: Freja, Daria, Gemma by Mario Testino
V 42: Drew Barrymore by David Sims
V 43: Penelope Cruz by Inez and Vinoodh
V 44: Courtney Love by Mario Testino

Best and Worst:

OMG, not an attractive lot. V has produced some of the most outstanding editorials of the year, but the covers are just painful. I think the magazine's ambition of becoming some kind of pop culture commentator has impaired its fashion direction. The Mariah Carey and Courtney Love covers are done without irony. Penelope Cruz looks like a villager, and Drew Barrymore is plain ugly. I guess the Kate Moss and Freja/Daria/Gemma covers would be universal favorites, but they made me uncomfortable--esp. the trappings on the trio's swimsuits.

The worst cover is hands down Drew Barrymore, with Penelope Cruz running a close second.

picture source:
V 39: Honey B Fly (thanks vanishing)
V 40: vmagazine.com (thanks Iluvjeisa)
V 41: vmagazine.com (thanks dieselmax)
V 42: vmagazine.com (thanks dieselmax)
V 43: models.com (thanks Faith Akiyama)
V 44: vmagazine.com

To my mind there is only one V cover worth mentioning - but it IS a stunner - sun kissed Kate Moss all the way. God, it's so beautiful. I also like the Drew cover - to a certain extent. But the rest....ugh. Mariah's fake smile is horrendous, the menage et trois thing could have been so fun but now the only one looking the least interesting is Freja...Penelope's and Courtney's are really not well executed. It's just wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->