Best Digital Camera

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Seeing as I am going to Paris for S/S défilés in October,was curious if anybody had suggestions on a good digital camera with pretty decent resolution...preferbly on the affordable side?

The one thing that really annoys me about digital cameras are the way they are especially sensitive to red..it seems that even good digital cameras have a tendency to pick up red better than blue and green ..warping the colourscheme of a picture :angry:

I have a Nikon SQ, which i'm not too happy with..too big to carry around, and there are some 14 types of scenes to pick from (i.e. indoors, snow, sunset, etc) that it doesnt do stuff automatically...
I'm also looking for a nice, small, good camera...
cigaretiquette, how big is the Canon Ixu 500?

Scott, unfortunately the digicam SLR market is not saturated enough yet, so I doubt you'll find anything good under $800 :( . If you'll be willing to settle for a point-and-shoot one (a.k.a. "soapdish" in Russian :D ), then there are a ton of choices for around $300. Keep checking this website for deals, http://www.slickdeals.net

This website, http://www.ecost.com has very good prices, probably unbeatable. For reviews, http://www.cnet.com is a good site.

yea for point and shoot, canon's ixus lines are pretty good.
nice size, and decent quality.

vivid + low sharpening = canon
washed out colors + high sharpening = sony
nikon is excellant in taking night shots, and closeups...
olympus is good for taking snapshots of people.. best skintone, id say.

if you are looking for something more than just a simple point and shoot cam, but dont wanna pay the price of a full digital slr, maybe you should look into canon's G6.

hope this helps :smile:

I use a sony cybershot 8Megapxl.
Costs a fortune and it is huge, but is fantastic :D

DP Review

I used to frequent this website more than this forum (HA!)

the one thing that you have to be wary about, with this website, is that the forums are full of 'measurebators' (people that only compare a camera's technical specs, and do so obsessively - its quite like penis envy, or a bunch of men standing around measuring their manhood with rulers if you will). a lot of the time, the people posting on the forums are mis-informed as well. it used to be a great place, but an onslought of careless users drove many of the more helpfull and informative posters away.

(if anyone is ever annoyed with how religious the mods here are about reminding us to use the search forum, dpreview is a very good example of how people who DONT do this ruin a forum for everyone) people will also tend to be brand loyal to a fault, they wont see problems with a camera because they are obsessed with canon/nikon - I would suggest only reading the websites official reviews, and look elsewhere for advice. the advice on the forums can often be misleading or inacurate. this is not to say that ALL posters there fall into this category....

Ed, are you a dp user? and have you had similar experiences?

good luck in the camera search! remember to try everything yourself in the store, and if you arent enlarging images beyond 8x10 on a regular basis, you don't need anything larger than 4MP.

other than that, I can personally vouch for both the Canon elph series (but avoid the 5 megapixel elph, the small sensor has problems with noise) and the nikon d70. some people dislike how complicated the d70 is, so unless you are really into photography, you may want to pass on this, but the elph was fantastic. I took mine everywhere, mostly rockclimbing, and it handled a lot. I also did a good amount of portfolio work with it before the d70, because while it was a point and shoot, it would still allow you to manually adjust the shutter speed, amoungst other things, which many PS cameras will not allow. the d70 can be iffy in low-light situations, and the canon elph s400 had an auto focus speed that was too slow for fast action situations, although I hear the new generation 4 megapixel elph has fixed this.

oops, another accidentally too long post...sorry.

my sony cybershot was only 175 or something... I love it. :heart:

Konika Minolta's are excellent. My family has three of them, and we have never had a problem. We got a 5 megapixel one for just over 500 dollars, including the cost of a 256 memory card, insurance and protector case!

I just got a Casio Exilim s-600 in silver and I LOVE IT:heart: :woot: it's so tiny^_^

casio-ex-s500-03.gif

(portablegear.nl)

I'm going to London this summer and I'm thinking of buying this Casio S500. Anyone knows if this is a good choice or not? I think it's the most beautiful camera at the moment!

I have a Fujifilm FinePix Z1. It's really slim and handy and takes decent photos. Plus, it's pretty inexpensive.

Kwing I have the s600 and I love it! If you have a Ritz/Wolf store nearby I'd go and talk to the people there, they're very helpful:wink: :flower: Good luck:woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->