Black Models and their campaigns

haute_pink

Reaction score
This is a bit of an old thought.....but has anyone noticed how many black models have been featured in big ad campaigns lately (especially the big Fall issues). I'm surprised and delighted to see, what I think is a trend among designers right now! They have a lot of ads where the black model is really the "feature" of the image(if there are mutiple models/ she'd be in the middle-or looking at you when everyone else is turned away) I find the most interesting one to be the Nars ads with Naomi. of course she's always been promenant, but the way they have used her is cool... typically that 40's retro look would be associated with a white woman, thats why I think it is so great that it's her! Anyone else noticed what I'm talking about?
[attachmentid=29039]

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 85
why am i surprised there is no further response here? :innocent: I think its great to see more black models representing here, its not as if black people werent around in the 40's hell! we know they were here in the 17th century(because of slavery) so whats up y'all? have none of you so-called fashionistas got nothing to say? :innocent:

In my opinion Naomi is just "ok" there is something about that turns me off. I also find Alek Wek to be beautiful in a unique way. She looks a lot better than the plain old blond hair and blue eyed clone.

But by far my favourite black model is Iman. I know she barely works any more but find her to be gorgeous!

iman.h21.jpg

Originally posted by CelineChic@Oct 18 2004, 10:53 AM
In my opinion Naomi is just "ok" there is something about that turns me off. I also find Alek Wek to be beautiful in a unique way. She looks a lot better than the plain old blond hair and blue eyed clone.

But by far my favourite black model is Iman. I know she barely works any more but find her to be gorgeous!

iman.h21.jpg

[snapback]400678[/snapback]​

Iman is absolutely gorgeous, everything abot her is flawless.
I also like Liya Kabede - i think that' show the name is slept

have none of you so-called fashionistas got nothing to say?

Models and skin-colours don't really interest me...as long as someone who's not hideously ugly is wearing the clothes then their skin can be black white or royal purple for all I care... :innocent:

Actually, I'm personally a huge fan of seeing more black models in the fashion industry. As may be seen here...
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/index...wtopic=3458&hl=
And here...
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/index...wtopic=2766&hl=
Here...
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/index...topic=13998&hl=
And...
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/index...33&#entry390733

In fact, my own favourite male model is of African American heritage...
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/index...topic=14162&hl=

Also, I'd like to hire more models of African and Asian background. Kenyan models in particular are gorgeous! Yasmin Warsame would definately be on my list, as well as Devon Aoki, if she ever returned to modeling. Lu Yan would be another pick of mine, since she really fits in with the kind of odd look that I like.

If you do a search you'll discover several topics already dealing with this issue. :flower:

I don't think anyone really understands what I'm saying here!! What I mean is, that I have noticed there are a lot more ads "featuring" black models! OF COURSE they've been around forever. And we all have favorite models (whatever race), but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that simultaniously, a lot of designers used black models for their fall ads!! And I especially like the Nars ad with Naomi, because the 40's look is typically associated with white women. I don't think anyone can despute that! Obviously some images of Billie Holiday, or Dorothy Dandridge come to mind........but I consider them to be such a small percentage of the over-all "40's" look that most people think of. I think it's great if you honestly don't notice the difference with WHO is modeling...but to me it's not about what everyday people think about ethnic models (who isn't happy to see a variety of faces), but the DESIGNERS and ad execs who are feeling the same way apparently!

I have to agree. The designers are using more African American models. But in a way I think this is great! I'm tired of the stereotypical blonde hair blue eyes. I want to see someone with a true natural figure. Not a starved remake of Twiggy. :sick:

My favorite African American Model is

Male: Tyson Beckford (would eat him alive if he were here in person) :brows:

Female: Iman (WOW! to say the least) :shock:

I think that Roshumba is gorgeous. I saw a special on her a while back on the style channel I think and I also know shes in Maybelinne commercials.... anyone know what shes doing now?

I can't seem how to post pics(can someone explain to me how) and can someone post some of her until I figure it out thanks :smile:

I had noticed that more black models were appearing in fall ads, and I'm really happy about it because it shows that designers are starting to appreciate racial diversity :flower:

It also seems to have carried over to the spring runway shows, a lot of new black models seemed to be doing really well (Januel, Mimi, etc) :heart:

Let's hope it continues :flower:

It's wonderful to see more diversity in the fashion industry and I really hope this increase in models of color is more than just a 'trend'. It would also be nice to see some Black designers make it as big as their White counterparts.... :innocent:

Originally posted by stylegurrl@Oct 23 2004, 08:22 PM
It's wonderful to see more diversity in the fashion industry and I really hope this increase in models of color is more than just a 'trend'. It would also be nice to see some Black designers make it as big as their White counterparts.... :innocent:
[snapback]405174[/snapback]​

I agree and we all have color.

personally race dosn't consern me and when it comes to models I judge by who I find pretty or intresting, Naomi dosn't catch my attention, nietehr dos tyra banks or most of the other top black models. I think Iman is very pritty and intresting, as is Alek Wek.

This should probably be in the suporting cast, you mighnt get more responses.

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Oct 24 2004, 11:05 AM
Alek Wek.
[snapback]405453[/snapback]​
:heart: :heart: :heart:
I have noticed this increase in featured black models now that you pointed it out. I mostly don't pay that much attention to race, though, as Spacemiu said. I pay attention to the faces I find interesting. Aleks is one of my favorite models of all because I think she's beautiful in a unique way and she can look so different in different makeup.

The fact that such a topic is even considered a *trend* speaks volumes on how far we still have to go in leveling out the playing field. Until it moves to solid mainstream, progress will be stunted and seperation by race (via media outlets) will conntinue.

Originally posted by Theory@Oct 31 2004, 02:12 PM
The fact that such a topic is even considered a *trend* speaks volumes on how far we still have to go in leveling out the playing field. Until it moves to solid mainstream, progress will be stunted and seperation by race (via media outlets) will conntinue.
[snapback]412703[/snapback]​
agreed

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbtina
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->