Bob Dylan Tries to Halt Factory Girl Movie

VainJane

Reaction score
Dylan issues legal action over biopic of Edie Sedgwick

Already beset by controversy, Sienna Miller's new film, Factory Girl, which depicts the short life of Edie Sedgwick, has now attracted the ire of Bob Dylan.
Dylan is trying to stop the release of the film and his lawyers have demanded a halt to all distribution and screenings so they can assess whether their client has been defamed.
The concern is said to be based around a false implication that Dylan was responsible for Sedgwick's suicide.
Before news of Dylan's concerns surfaced, the premiere of Factory Girl and screenings in New York had already been put back. Two weeks ago the producers of the film confirmed that just a month before its release date they had asked for some scenes to be re-shot. Sources close to the film put the re-shooting down to improving its Oscar chances.
Sixties "It girl" Sedgwick, who died of a barbiturates overdose in 1971, aged 28, was the troubled muse of artist Andy Warhol, whom she met in 1965.
Miller, 24, plays the role of the Californian heiress, who starred in many of Warhol's films at his studio, known as the Factory. Warhol is played by Guy Pearce, but the role which has proven problematic is the one played by Hayden Christensen.
He portrays a rock star named Billy Quinn who is said to be a hybrid of Dylan, Mick Jagger and Jim Morrison. He was originally cast as Bob Dylan but the name of the character was changed.

Orin Snyder, Dylan's lawyer, said the film's original screenplay depicted an alleged relationship between the musician and Sedgwick, suggesting Dylan dumped her, leading to her "tragic decline into heroin addiction and eventual suicide".
Mr Snyder alleges that critics who have seen the screenings say the character is unmistakably Dylan.
"You appear to be labouring under the misunderstanding that merely changing the name of a character or making him a purported fictional composite will immunise you from suit," Mr Snyder wrote to the Weinstein Company. "That is not so. Even though Mr Dylan's name is not used, the portrayal remains both defamatory and a violation of Mr Dylan's right of publicity.
"Until we are given an opportunity to view the film, we hereby demand that all distribution and screenings... immediately be ceased."
Dylan has not been the film's only critic. Lou Reed, a friend of Sedgwick told the New York Daily News: "I've read that script. It is one of the most disgusting, foul things I've seen in a long time."
The Weinstein Company, which is releasing the film in the US on 29 December, confirmed that it had received the letter from Dylan's lawyer but did not wish to comment.
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/article2076201.ece

in the words of the purple one..

CONTRAVERSY!@@@...

:SHOCK:

VainJane said:
...suggesting Dylan dumped her, leading to her "tragic decline into heroin addiction and eventual suicide".

This is so ridiculous. Why does Bob Dylan even care?

^ Good Prince line!

I'm *dreading* this movie for several reasons, but Hayden's casting is one of them.

Not to mention I'm a big fan of The Velvet Underground, so, I'm more likely to take Lou Reed's word than the word of others.

if Sienna wasn't in it, i'd love to watch this movie....her acting is just bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
fourboltmain said:
This is so ridiculous. Why does Bob Dylan even care?

I can think of a few reasons...

1. Maybe he does not like being blamed for her death.
2. Maybe he does not like the movie's producers leveraging the peak of his career to make money off Edie's untimely and tragic demise.

If you don't care for the sensitive or crass monetary theories, there's always the artistic:

3. Maybe he is trying to spare us from seeing Sienna try to portray Edie.

It must be pretty bad if Lou Reed says its foul... :lol:

^hehe. i wonder what would edie think of this...

hum...kinda makes me want to watch this movie just to see how ridiculous it is.

There is a Dylan thread and a Factory Girl thread already. Check them out! :flower:

^The impression I've received regarding the film is that it's kinda made-for-TV soap opera-ish, ridiculous in its exploration of human motivation, cartoonlike and implausible. The 1960's seem to be having their craptacular "let's make it simple, dead, and fashionably explicable for the youngsters" moment, at last. We did it with every other decade, too, so it's no surprise. For Dylan, it just must feel icky to finally have it happen to him, but he can always fall back on selling ladies' underwear.

Unfortunately, lawsuits like this just create more of a buzz, and I don't think the lawyers will be able to stop the film, at least in the US. I know the UK has tougher libel laws, but if the character is named "Billy Quinn" and not "Bob Dylan," there's really no basis for the suit.

Like it or not, public figures get mythologized in ways that of course have no bearing on the reality of their lives. If I were Dylan's age, I wouldn't want a bunch of kids blaming me for their newfound dead idol's demise, either. But Dylan's always had to deal with stupid people, and no rest for the wicked, he deserves a new generation of stupidity.

VainJane said:
Dylan issues legal action over biopic of Edie Sedgwick

Sources close to the film put the re-shooting down to improving its Oscar chances.

:lol: Oscar chances!! Because we know Sienna, Jimmy Fallon, and Mary-Kate are such talented thespians!!

damn, boy dylan. can't you just continue not making any good music and sitting at your manhattan penthouse and selling out by doing victoria's secret commercials?

lunabella said:
damn, boy dylan. can't you just continue not making any good music and sitting at your manhattan penthouse and selling out by doing victoria's secret commercials?

Uh, that's kind of silly to say about sitting in his penthouse. He's been on tour almost nonstop for the last 18 years or so.

wikipedia said:
Bob Dylan's Never Ending Tour is a popular term for the folk legend's seemingly incessant performing schedule since June 7, 1988. Attention is often given to his seasoned (but rotating) backing band, which he finally displayed on record with the 2001 album "Love and Theft". It is also notable for Dylan's advanced age - he turned sixty-five in 2006, a year with ninety-seven scheduled shows. By September 2006, Dylan had played over 1880 shows in his so-called Never Ending Tour.

source

Fault him for many things, but not sitting in his penthouse. :wink:

mellowdrama, nice analysis. :flower:

i can't stand bob dylan but he wins for this. this film needs to be stopped, looks soooo bad.

lunabella said:
and selling out by doing victoria's secret commercials?

I loved that commercial :blush:

Dylan shouldn't be too worried though.....I doubt there will be much of a box-office draw with Factory Girl.

lunabella said:
Dylan sold out when he went electric in 1965, didn't you know? You can't sell out twice.:wink: (edit: adding ironic winky face so no one takes me seriously, here. There are some crusty old folks who still believe this carding wool somewhere in Vermont.)

Maybe he should team up with the Borat frat boys and do a mega lawsuit bonanza.

Edie didn't commit suicide I don't think. Wasn't it ruled accidental/unsure?

^I don't think it was deliberate suicide, as in with a note. As someone who's both been in a downward spiral and had friends and lovers cut me out of their lives, as well as later having been the healthy-minded one cutting ties with dysfunctional people--I would never blame anyone for cutting me out when I was at my worst, nor would I allow anyone to guilt trip me when I didn't let myself get absorbed in their negativity and self-destruction. I'm just grateful my private life doesn't intrigue millions of people.

I agree it is irresponsible to make crappy fictional movies about real people that may negatively impact those who are quite real and alive, but it's certainly not illegal. Though I read that Interview-style biography of Edie years ago as a teenager, I never felt any iconic adolescent appeal toward her. Why idolize a voiceless, tragic female famous for her breeding and her looks? Her story is she didn't live long enough to have a story. There's no one to blame for that--perhaps except herself. Why tell glamorous lies?

Not even Bob Dylan not wanting me to see it makes me want to see it.

Lordy, girls, if you want to idolize a dead pretty face, try Anais Nin or Colette or somebody with a voice who had a clear story to tell and a lived a full lifetime to tell it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaffir124
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->