Boho is out, Beatnik is back

i loved those dior outfits...but now...I see so much of these stuff...Im getting slowly tired of it.

And I hate the trend thing. I wouldn't mind it if I was New York or London or Paris...etc. I would simply ignore it...but here...the trend just follows you everywhere.

fashion1001 said:
That's insane!!!! Who would of thought???

Who the hell cared about Edie Sedgewick until now anyways?? :blush:

I always loved that style of fashion but never knew who Edie Sedgewick was untill now!

fashion1001 said:
That's insane!!!! Who would of thought???

Who the hell cared about Edie Sedgewick until now anyways?? :blush:

Erm... me ! :wink:
Her style's going mainstream but it doesn't mean that it was totally unknow before.

I used to know and like her (and all the Factory scene) since I was like... 16, so 4 years ago.

I think her point was:

That only a select number of people really knew who Edie Sedgewick was (and probably followed her style) untill now...

But now with all this over the top commercial bs everyone and their mother will be dressing like her...already I see people in forums asking where to buy striped shirts...trust me, after this...you'll never want to see another stripe!

It's just so funny how WWD and a film can call Eddie the "IT" girl and everyone rushes out to buy stripes!

Last edited by a moderator:
JBird said:
I think her point was:

That only a select number of people really knew who Edie Sedgewick was (and probably followed her style) untill now...

But now with all this over the top commercial bs everyone and their mother will be dressing like her...already I see people in forums asking where to buy striped shirts...trust me, after this...you'll never want to see another stripe!

It's just so funny how WWD and a film can call Eddie the "IT" girl and everyone rushes out to buy stripes!

Well put, darling!

Argh! reading this thread is a bit depressing!
I think the Beatnick look will be a big hit come 2006. Boho is SOOOOO overdone and ppl are getting sick of it. I knew it was trouble the moment my friend started going on about boho....and she's no boho chick.
I've always loved the beatnick look and particular elements of it. I've ben wearing heaps of black last year and been searching for a stripey top for ages. Just got one recently. Makes me shudder to see them in every 2nd shop. Also the stovepipes and black caps and plain black boots! (<been wearing for ages)

I agree that the EMO look is a more modern incarnation of the mod/beatnick look.
And Mods WERE a reaction to the hippies, fashionwise. :smile:

I think the beatnick look is hot. Watched Down With Love and the beatnick party scene was so groovy. hehehe.
I think to look really good in the beatnick look you have to be skinny. BUT i can see how it can easily be tailored and watered down for a commercial market.

....now.. what will i wear next year...hahaha...

VintagePearls said:
And I love this dress which is in that time period:
04m.jpg

MaxMara.

I love this outfit and Vlada in it! Gorgeous! Thanks! :flower:

i totally agree...so many people are now converting, saying that they now look to the sixties for fashion inspiration. personally, i wouldn't want to limit myself to a period of 10 years; i'll take the lot thanks :smile:

it's no surprise really when the past season's most prominant colours have been black; especially with the likes of dior and stella mccartney...i think if you're going to go beat, be beat! that's right, go sit in a corner wearing your beret and moan about the world while playing tribal drums! :wink:

i love the beatnik look! i used to love boho but when something goes all mainstream it just loses its appeal... i just bought some 3/4 length, black, opaque, tights/leggings and i love them!

kettlin said:
i love the beatnik look! i used to love boho but when something goes all mainstream it just loses its appeal... i just bought some 3/4 length, black, opaque, tights/leggings and i love them!

I need those.

I just went shopping and forgot about purchasing them until I left the store. :cry:

Beatnik VS Boho = 1-0

I like the Beatnik look as we all needed a change from the Boho look. (I personally loved boho as long as it was worn by those few i the know.)
When you see even the most fashion clueless person wearing a trend, then you know that it's time for a change.

Although i have been wearing lots of black and especially black poloneck's, ballet flats, cool clean cut leather jackets (not the rock type) and keep my hair in a high ponytail most of the time, i' cant say i'll go all the way with this BEATNIK look. (unless you're Kate Moss super skinny- which i'm definitely not, you cannot pull this trend off.)

Boho more or less fitted all sort of figures, but this look is all about a certain way of looking. Kate Moss looks as if she was one of the original beatniks but not everyone can look that good!

As always it's good to take some of the trends and adjust to to our personal style and way of looking. Proving that we know what looks good on us.

Being one of those people who have to work on my style because of not having a figure that looks good on everything, and that also being my profession, i' ve learned to only borrow elements of each trend to adjust to my look. And always point on accessories to add that special touch.

Just have a look at Kate Moss (a personal fashion icon ). She doesn't follow trends. She makes them. She knows what is fashionable all the time, adapting it, remaining true to her style.

Beatnik: The 10 commantments!

1. Black and White striped sweater (better if falling from one shoulder)
2. Sweater dress either as above, or black, or gray
3. Black opaque stockings
4. Leggings or drainpipe trousers (grey or black )
5. Undernourished physique.
6. Black poloneck sweater.
7. High ponytail for women and slightly long, fashionably unrully hair for men ( Italian men it seems, have a penchant for this type of hair cut.)
8. Black and white accessories re:Black cap
9. Black leather, high, boots
10. Beatnik attitude!! (Most essential of all the above)
:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->