Books on Modeling

sean.k

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone know any good books on how to become a model/ posing? I feel this might help me communicate more with my models and get even better photos if I understand more about what it takes to become a good model.

Sean.K

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there are any books out there, but even if there were I don't think it'd be entirely up to date or appropriate either.

For becoming a model take a look at our 'So You Want to be a Model' thread pinned at the top of Careers and Education.

For posing, the best thing you can do is buy some magazines (mostly foreign) so you can see how the models pose, and imitate them accordingly. That would be the best way to see what is the most up to date and what is happening in terms of posing...try Vogue Italia, Vogue Paris, Numero, etc...and take it from there!

Hi YBF,

I agree completely at looking at the top magazines to get an idea at the latest styles ,but I'm looking more at trying to understand the foundations and principles of modeling. A good example to this would be a Director might take acting classes so as to understand the process of acting as well as to better communicate with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1FFKCkkfk4

I don't think there are foundations or principles to modelling. Many models admit they don't think why they do the job. :lol: It depends on the shoot, and the model.

I think it would be better to watch behind the scenes footage like the one above. From films, or photoshoots. If you read a book you only have text and still images. :flower:

Hi YBF,

I agree completely at looking at the top magazines to get an idea at the latest styles ,but I'm looking more at trying to understand the foundations and principles of modeling. A good example to this would be a Director might take acting classes so as to understand the process of acting as well as to better communicate with them.

Ah ic, so I guess you would be the theoretical 'director?' ...well you can't really take any classes to be a model, or read a book about it because it just happen. You learn as you go and you can't really prepare for it ahead of time. You just need to go with the flow, and see what happens, and learn from that. Every model's career happens differently so the only way you can really learn is from experience...

Every photogapher is different and every shoots is differently. So depending on the photographers style, the expectation of the model is different. Some photographers have the girls move on their own, or others are more particular in the shots they want.

Here's a backstage video of the Chloe campaign shoot, you can kind of see what goes on on a shoot and what it looks like if you're wondering what to expect.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pHikpjj2nyI

And sethii! :shock::lol:

Sethii and YBF, with any form of art (and I do consider modeling an aspect of art) there are foundations and principles that need to be understood in order to become proficient at it. We all know modeling isn’t rock science, but a professional model, must at the least, know the basic poses and techniques involved to help them make a good visual presentation in front of the camera or an audience. Sure, models wing it all the time and try new and different things. However, having spent my time on a number of photoshoots, I can tell you there’s a big difference between a model who has experience and knows how to pose compared to an unexperienced model who doesn’t know what the hell she’s doing and has to be physically adjusted by the photographer or stylist.

Anyway, I’ve looked on amazon and sure enough there are quite a few books on modeling and posing. If anyone has purchased any one of these books, I’d like to hear your thoughts.

The Portrait Photographer's Guide to Posing
http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Photographers-Guide-Posing/dp/158428126X/ref=pd_sim_b_title_5

Complete Guide for Models: Inside Advice from Industry Pros for Fashion Modeling
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Complete+Guide+for+Models%3A+Inside+Advice+from+Industry+Pros+for+Fashion+Modeling&x=23&y=18

Professional Model Portfolios: A Step-by-Step Guide for Photographers
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Model-Portfolios-Step-Step/dp/1584281375/ref=pd_sim_b_title_6

Sean, although it is not all that detailed about the nuts and bolts you are looking for, I highly recommend to anyone getting into or around the modeling world Michael Gross's "Model:The Ugly Business of Beautiful Women". Not only is he a fine writer (it is one of those can't put it down sort of books) but his background on how the industry became what it is today and how it works is invaluable. If I were a booker I would give a copy to every new model I knew, it is a very valuable resource for models and those who work with them! :flower:

Don't you think that models either have that 'sense' about posing or they don't? Is it something that can be taught? When given a direction,really good models can pick up the theme and go with it. You can read books and look at all the magazines you want but unless you are able to reach inside yourself and be that 'image' that the photographer is looking for all the posing in the world is going to come across as false.

Hmmm ... I tend to agree with you, MM ... to a point.

I do think that a model can certainly "try" poses in front of the mirror ... for practice and to learn. Pratice does help, some. I think that they need to do a few things when working with either a book about posing or just copying what they see in magazines because mimicing what they see in a book alone won't help much.

1. They must practice .... a lot .... hours and hours.

2. They must really try to be objective about how each pose looks on their body ... what flatters them personally, what doesn't and commit it all to memory.

3. They have to get good enought to move in and out of those various poses comfortably (lots and lots of practice) and be able to do it without looking in a mirror (I call it "body memory" ... because they won't have a mirror at the shoot.

4. They need to learn the difference between editorial/fashion and more commercial types of poses/movements ... because it's totally different. And make sure that they understand what the photographer is needing ... so they can adjust to suit.

4. It's also very important to learn how to use their face, eyes, mouth, etc. to get various effects and moods. And not to forget about what to do with their hands and feet, either.

I don't think that a model who is not comfortable with her own body and knows how to make it do a wide variety of movement can be "coached" into the approprate "poses" by someone else. He or she needs to be able to hear and understand what the photographer wants and to be able to deliver it without being told specifically what to do. Some models get it within a few practice shoots and are great ... and some never get it.

A nu,ber of models i know have gone to special classes on how to walk etc....you could possibly enquire. The top ones will obviously be in main cities

Real model stories!

Oh my God, guys, this is my first subject posted and I am so excited to share this with you.
I am just finishing a book that was a blast!!
I love to read but it's hard to find real things about fashion.

I am very interested to know about models and how they live. I wish I could be one but... eh! Next life!^_^
So the book is here (quite long title, so I just put on the link:(

https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B01D1QWR5A

I am so shoked to see what modeling is really like and sometimes, I just want to scream for justice!! :angry:
Some of the jobs can be really crappy, even if being a model also comes with exceptional things.
It needs a lot of strenght to do that I think.
There is also another book (in french) released by a French model and I want to read it as soon as possible:

https://www.amazon.fr/JAMAIS-ASSEZ-MAIGRE-Victoire-Dauxerre/dp/2352044723

I leave you guys with a lot of spring reading.
:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->