Brazilian Music (Bossa Nova, Samba, etc)

Can some of our Brazilian members recommend me some good quality national bands/singers?, not necessarily traditional (I already love that :P).. more current, national rock (though not really trendy a la CSS), the stuff you can hear when young people gather at houses to drink and have a good time.. probably not my best reference but hopefully it makes some sense. :lol:

I might stop by Brazil again next year but I wish to explore it properly this time and to be already familiarised with music, and for now, take it as a departing point for learning more about the country.
Anyway, I love sparklehorse, sonic youth, dylan, gainsbourg, all that.. if it helps when thinking of some recommendation. I also appreciate good lyricism (that can hopefully teach me some Portuguese!).

If you're coming to Rio you HAVE TO learn some Baile Funk songs ^_^ !
And if you want I can help you with the lyrics :lol:!

There are also Los Hermanos, Mamonas Assassinas (they had the funniest songs) and Mallu Magalhães (she's a bit silly but her voice is beautiful, despite being only 17 years old).

There are also Los Hermanos, Mamonas Assassinas (they had the funniest songs) and Mallu Magalhães (she's a bit silly but her voice is beautiful, despite being only 17 years old).

Oh yeah! Los Hermanos are greaaaat!

^ I consider them more as another echo park export.. but I dunno. :ninja:

thanks again for your recommendations, guys:heart:. I've been listening to Cazuza and loving it, sounds like so much fun, like the kind of stuff you sing in the shower.. I've even been spending time on a site of Portuguese courses.. tudo bem, tudo bem. :P

I'll try to find me some Los Hermanos now. :woot:

If you're coming to Rio you HAVE TO learn some Baile Funk songs ^_^ !
And if you want I can help you with the lyrics :lol:!
I googled baile funk :lol:, that's not really my thing.. it's funny because I once hooked up with a brazilian guy at a club and he was trying to pull out some of these moves, it was pretty awkward.. I was like wtf the whole time :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
:judge: So I downloaded Mallu's record yesterday and listened to O preço da flor at least 15 times today!, it's so addictive, I feel trapped!.
also developed an addiction for Los Hermanos's A flor.. maybe I'm just going through an all-flor season. :lol::heart:

Ed Motta is nice too, he has a strong, powerful voice. I also like Djavan.
^ :judge: So I downloaded Mallu's record yesterday and listened to O preço da flor at least 15 times today!, it's so addictive, I feel trapped!.
also developed an addiction for Los Hermanos's A flor.. maybe I'm just going through an all-flor season. :lol::heart:
Have you listened to Tchubaruba? :heart:

I loved Tchubaruba :wub: .. I think I heard it before.. was it featured in some apple/credit card commercial?, I'm pretty sure I heard it somewhere like that.

I loved Tchubaruba :wub: .. I think I heard it before.. was it featured in some apple/credit card commercial?, I'm pretty sure I heard it somewhere like that.
Do you mean this commercial?

^ no, it was this commercial shot in the streets, for American television.. I just spent about an hour on google but no results.. :doh:

Actually I don't like Mallu very much, I think her voice is too childish!
Download Kid Abelha, IMO they're one of the best brazilian bands ever!

help me. am searching for titles to some of those popular samba and bossa nova songs that they use on ftv especially when showing those brazillian shows. also that French music that is similar to bossa nova. any artistes and their songs r gonna be appreciated
merci:P

A french band that does a style of music that is very similar to bossa nova is Nouvelle Vague, one of their songs "Love Will Till Us Apart" is very bossa nova !

Just listened to Charlie Brown's quebra-mar.. sounds pretty lovely and very distinct. :heart:

Doesn't Nouvelle Vague only sing covers from famous bands? Love Will Tear Us Apart is from Joy Division.

I'll find kid Abelha right now. obrigado. :P

Oh that's fine! ^_^

Btw, I love Kid Abelha too :heart: Too bad we don't have bands like it anymore :doh:

Yeah, it's true, it's very hard to have a band that can mix MPB with pop/rock and have the results Kid Abelha has!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellaboyce
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->