Calvin Klein 205W39NYC F/W 2018.19 by Willy Vanderperre

It's pretty compelling, tbh. Some great shots. Well produced, memorable. Could have done without the shot of the spaceship, though...that's too on the nose.

All that said, there's nothing here that feels Calvin Klein. I'm all for a creative director taking the house to new territory and opening it up for new interpretation...but there's ZERO sex appeal here...and I'm sorry, but Calvin Klein's DNA is sex appeal, period. There's no definable silhouette or collection from the brand, unlike say Dior or Chanel or Balenciaga...it's all about the attitude here at Calvin. "Sex appeal" can be a broad blanket, of course, in which many different things can be considered sexy, sensual, erotic, etc...but this collection and campaign? No.

I love this. It's very androgynous and the location is amazing. Nice and weird angle :heart:

This feels like an old W editorial.

I like the close ups.

I actually LOVE this, wonderful cast and love the location. That Julia eyewear shot is very weird tho.

I adore this! It's really dynamic and fun to look at.

When you shamelessly rip off Avedon, but fail to live up to his genius.
Willy tried, but this is just as cold and sterile as everything he's ever done.

Raf Simons is the worst thing that could have ever happened to Calvin Klein.
He has ZERO sense of the sex and sensuality of this brand.
His ideas of "Americana" are so superficial, cliche, and tiresome.
It's like people who consume American movies and tv shows, and somehow believe they understand America and Americans.
They don't.

memorable! everything about this is cool except for those hideous balaclavas.

A good one here!

That said, I remember when Willy's photos were cold, but full of fire, passion and life. Now it looks he's taking pictures of bodies in rigor mortis.

It should've been just OG Liya, but overall, I really love this campaign. The whole sense of solitude it brings is so languidly beautiful. Wow, who would've thought that Willy the cold, sterile, and clinical was able to conjure up a magic like this?

The eyewears shot is ironically hideous. But looking at this campaign, I cannot stop thinking about Verushka iconic editorial for Vogue decades ago or just even closer, Karolina by Steven Meisel for Vogue Italia.

The inspiration is dark and sad: Safe (1995), by Todd Hynes. There's a character named Lester and he wears these clothes while he walks in a creepy way on the field. The character has a terminal illness and he covers his entire body to protect himself. It's too dark, didn't knew at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->