Caring for Damaged Hair (Colored, Bleached, Frizzy, Heat Styled)

My hair is in terrible condition. I've naturally got dark brown hair but I've been doing a full head of blonde highlights for around 5+ years, combined with straightening and blow-drying it every 2nd day :doh:

May hair stylist thinks the condition has been greatly improving over the past year, but it still looks like a damaged mess to me.

Highlighting + long hair = :shock:

Well...until I found Kerastase Masquintense, anyway :D

I know the feeling but after having had my hair bleched for years and I swear by the following........

L'oreal purple shampoo in the silver bottle - great for keeping brassiness away and then Redken All Soft conditioner

then

Redken Anti snap leave in conditioner

and as often as possible I put almond oil on my hair and leave it on overnight which really seems to work for me.

Hope that helps

PP

I know the feeling but after having had my hair bleched for years and I swear by the following........

L'oreal purple shampoo in the silver bottle - great for keeping brassiness away and then Redken All Soft conditioner

then

Redken Anti snap leave in conditioner

and as often as possible I put almond oil on my hair and leave it on overnight which really seems to work for me.

Hope that helps

PP

ooh wow something called "anti snap"! my hair totally started to snap like elastic after bleaching it...so weird! i'm gonna try that.

My hair has responded really well to a product called Terax Creama. I found it on clearance at Harmon's for $1.42. It is excellent.

I think this would be the right place to ask this but last night I made the horrible mistake of trying to highlight my dark brown hair with an out-of-the box kit and now my hair is orange :cry: It looks awful and I hate it so much. Is there anything I can do to take away the orangeyness or darken it back to brown without dying it again because I want to change it ASAP but my hair is completely fried. Please help!

^ You're probably not going to be able to get rid of the orange at home (if you went to a salon, maybe, but they might tell you to just leave it due to the risk of further damage bleaching to get rid of the orange would cause). You can probably put a brown semi permanent over it and it should hide the orange temporarily and then you can just retouch it when needed. You might want to choose one that has a bit of red in it so the orange parts don't go green... been there, done that!

I think this would be the right place to ask this but last night I made the horrible mistake of trying to highlight my dark brown hair with an out-of-the box kit and now my hair is orange :cry: It looks awful and I hate it so much. Is there anything I can do to take away the orangeyness or darken it back to brown without dying it again because I want to change it ASAP but my hair is completely fried. Please help!

I've been here. I went to the salon and they dyed my hair WHITE blonde when I just wanted a few highlights to brighten it up. I went back then they proceeded to put orange highlights in my hair which I did NOT ask for but got anyway. Anyways, $200 later I decided enough was enough. I fixed it with a box treatment and it looks wayyy better. I suggest getting an "ash" colour rather than a warm colour or else it will come out looking very bronzy and still orange. Maybe even a bit red. An ash will tone things down nicely
Best of luck ! :flower:

Late, but thanks for the responses joie and manner. Yea, I ended up dying over it with an ash brown color and turned out how I originally wanted it!

Fixing damaged hair.

Has anyone used any products or maybe some other kind of method that has actually helped fix their damaged hair? Besides just cutting it off, what can you do?

^Hair can really benefit from a protein treatment and some good deep conditioning afterward.

I just bought Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture shampoo & mask treatment conditioner and my hair loves it. My hair is very dry due to being wavy in nature and I color it a lot. It seems to just soak this stuff in. It is very affordable, to boot!

I’ve always had shorter coarse, kinky, darker strands of hair that stick up which I think is pretty normal, but recently I’ve seen a LOT more than usual. It’s not just breakage as well, but longer strands of hair that have become frizzy. I was wondering if anyone knew what caused this? I’ve also noticed a lot more breakage in general (that hasn't necessarily changed texture). Is this just hair damage? I do blow-dry the front of my hair every second day. I’ve also been under more stress than normal too.

I’ve always had shorter coarse, kinky, darker strands of hair that stick up which I think is pretty normal, but recently I’ve seen a LOT more than usual. It’s not just breakage as well, but longer strands of hair that have become frizzy. I was wondering if anyone knew what caused this? I’ve also noticed a lot more breakage in general (that hasn't necessarily changed texture). Is this just hair damage? I do blow-dry the front of my hair every second day. I’ve also been under more stress than normal too.

Well, it could be a number of things since unfortunately you are under stress lately, but you may want to check whether you have hard water. I believe that mineral content in water can cause breakage & frizzy hair. A way to combat it is to get a filter that strains out minerals & chlorine. Also, try to use a heat protectant to blowdry, deep conditioning treatments weekly, and try to take multivitamins & and omega oils as well. Good luck on your way towards healthy hair and with overcoming what is causing you stress:flower:.

thankyou for that!! i didn't even think about a heat protectant :hardhead:
the stress isn't caused by anything serious, just end of year exams. hopefully my hair will improve afterwards!

so, this is what my mum (hairdresser) learned me to do for healthy hair: cut an avocado into half, mash and mix it with some honey & oil (i use olive oil but i'm quite sure you can also use any other oil). then put it into your hair & cover it with a towel (the warmth should intesify the effect). the longer you leave it in, the better. then just rinse it out with water & wash your hair as usual - that's what i (try to) do every 2 weeks and it really works! my hair is quite thick & healthy but it's quite bleached form the sun & the ends are split. as i want to grow it out, i don't want to cut it and so this mask is my "emergency-hair-treatment" haha :lol:

I use an Indian hair oil made from gooseburys 3 times a week and also putting some olive oil on your hair and leaving it for a while before you wash it out is good for hair

I really like Redken Butter Treat.

And I swear by coconut oil. I have naturally dry hair which I make worse by using a straightening iron (I use a Chi, but it still dries out my hair.
I put coconut oil on my hair whenever I can when I'm at home. I just slather it on and leave it on for as long as possible. Then I wash it out and it really makes a big difference.
I do this at least once a week

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->