Carolyn Bessette Kennedy

Mercedes

Reaction score
I searched for a thread on her but couldn't find one:(
I've adored her style for many years. It's amazing that although she passed away more than 5 years ago her style still seems so fresh. CBK had a great eye for what suited her and had a elegant and consistent (yet never boring) style.:heart:

All pictures from http://www.isdesigners.com

Vanity Fair|September|1999

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.fashiondish.com/issues/jul2399/weeksdish.html

At first glance, Carolyn Bessette Kennedy represented the opposite of Los Angeles style. On her wedding day, she wore a surprisingly revealing slip-dress by Narciso Rodriguez. But most of the time, Bessette stood, in her clunky boots and knee-length camel skirts, in contrast to the bright and showy West Coast. Her palette of navy, black and camel was out of place in this summer of pink. The pointed collars of her stark white shirts and slightly sculpted Yohji Yamamoto jackets were as detailed as she got in a season of gold embroidery, saris, sashes and beads. But we appreciated the strong, creative facets of her style, a flair that connected her to the West Coast too.

At the Fire and Ice Ball this past December, one of her few appearances in Los Angeles, Bessette stood out amid a slightly garish display. There was Madonna with one nipple poking out of her dress. Cindy Crawford's beautiful soft eyes making their way through rigid layers of mascara. Scores of starlets in the biggest diamonds they'd ever seen-and would give back the next day. In an evening of Hollywood excess Bessette instead chose a stark white wool gown, covered to the wrists and resembling a priest's robe. She blended into the scene in one way: with her glorious bright-blonde hair. The only woman we saw that night with anything resembling it was Donatella Versace, a mistress of fake but compelling beauty who matched her golden locks with a Harry Winston yellow-diamond ring. Who'd have suspected this connection? Carolyn liked to play a bit more than we first saw. She enjoyed tinkering with the most obvious tools of glamour. Don't forget the red lipstick-"pinky brown" didn't mean anything to this woman. We would have liked to see her again.

thanks so much for this thread!! i loved her style, she was a true inspiration!!
more pics, please!!

such a classic outfit!!

http://oud.refdag.nl

People|September|1997
Carolyn01.bmp
Carolyn02.bmp

more from:
People|September|1997

carolyn04.bmp
carolyn05.bmp
carolyn06.bmp

http://www.btinternet.com/~virtuous/fluffymules

carolyn-2.jpg
carolyn-3.jpg
carolyn-1.jpg

The Look
6' tall, sleek, chic, expensive, pared-down elegance. Worked at Calvin Klein. Sophisticated, well-educated, well-wed, generally privileged. She started out with long-long pin-straight dark-blonde hair which went lighter and lighter after she married. Black clothes (she wore a LOT of Yohji Yamamoto) with the occasional severe white or beige item, or a warm red coat to walk her dog in. Forget jewellery and excessive make-up. A strapless gown is as racey as it needs to get, nothing too tight, nothing see-through, understated is the key. Don't forget the sleek chignon, Manolo Blahnik stilettos and bright red lipstick.

Example outfits
Her famous silky sheath wedding dress. Fake fur coat and hat, black leather gloves, red lipstick (perfect). Black tux with nothing underneath. Full-length, long-sleeved white wool Versace dress.

The Attitude
All reports say she was warm, friendly and good fun in private. In public, proper, refined, restrained and dignified, even chilly - although the famous photos of her SCREAMING at JFK Jnr. in Central Park, with her hair flying round her face, revealed her as flesh&blood, blow-your-top gal just like the rest of us.
Unlike the rest of us, Carolyn Bessette's style genius meant that she appeared to place herself firmly IN fashion yet her singular sense of style placed her timelessly OUTSIDE of it. As Elizabeth Wilson says, "anti-fashion is that 'true chic', which used to be defined as the elegance which never draws attention to itself, the simplicity that is 'understated', but which for that very reason stands out so startlingly" (from Adorned in Dreams, 1985).

How To
We would say marry rich and pare it down. But her sense of style was so innate and just so chic, elegant, and minimalist that it can't be copied. Do your best.

I always loved her style...very classy.

Attachments

• 744817.jpg
    744817.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 3,282
  • 50722577.jpg
    50722577.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 3,300
  • 51066655.jpg
    51066655.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 3,282
  • 51066657.jpg
    51066657.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 3,276
i always loved that she could wear yohji and look elegant and chic...
she took the mystery out of japanese design...she understood and saw the beauty in it...
she'd mix yohji w/manolos...and a strong red lip...and it just worked...
nothing tricky or mysterious about it...just simple elegance...

she had a great eye and great style...i felt like she personified ny style...
and they were a fantastic young couple...i think the whole city mourned their death in a very personal way...

softgrey said:
i always loved that she could wear yohji and look elegant and chic...
she took the mystery out of japanese design...she understood and saw the beauty in it...
she'd mix yohji w/manolos...and a strong red lip...and it just worked...
nothing tricky or mysterious about it...just simple elegance...
QUOTE]

you took the thoughts out of my mind and articulated better than i could....she was so beautiful...rip

I know this is a bit OT but have you guys read Edward Klein's "The Kennedy Curse"? I'm dying to buy it.

Such an interesting thread about an equally interesting woman that had amazing style that is standing the test of time and will for years to come...:flower:
Does anyone have more beautiful pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->