Chanel Pre-Fall 2016 Rome

gazebo

Reaction score
_A2X0016.jpg

vogue.com

good collection because everything there is practical but not surprising at all as the previous pre collection.

Easily my favorite Chanel collection in ages!

Maybe his most surprizing show in recent years.
Chanel Métiers d'Arts collections have, in recent years, always been OTT, very grand and precious mainly because Karl has always choose to work on the historic/fantasy side of his destination. From the Russian to the Dallas collecction, they were about the fantasy and the culture of a country mixed with Chanel /Lagerfeld flair. And more than anything, it was about recreating a time that Karl didn't experienced.

This is beyond good! It looks quite like his Paris/London collection. Very sultry and actually very Carine Roitfeld. Even if Karl was inspired by Italian actresses in the 50's/60's, it looks like an tribute to Carine.

I wonder if the fact that he experienced Rome in that era influenced his approach to this collection.

I ADORE looks 19 & 24! And the peacoats in the beginning are perfect! The "farfalle" details are so cute and the Dolce & Gabbana-esque menswear looks good.

PS: this is his best film since the silent one he did for the Paris-Moscow collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Everything you said, Lola!!

This is a shockingly low-key/gimmick-free collection, especially considering that the Métiers d’Art are always inspired by some type of destination and culture on the surface and more often than not things can get very kitschy. I mean you do get that strong Italian vibe -- both the authentic and the cinematic/stereotypical takes on it -- but overall it creates a mood rather than a LOOK AT HOW ITALIAN THIS IS. DO YOU GET IT? kind of thing that slams you over the head and bludgeons you to death. And I had almost forgotten that Chanel could be sexy and un-fussy looking, since it's been ages since it's been either of those things.

Poor Domenico and Stefano must be s***ing themselves. Karl took their only inspiration, lifted his leg and marked his territory.

Good collection, but i cant feel the 'italian' vibe in this looks. The menswear jackets and pearls are to die for.

***Edited *** Please, no model talk in D&C threads, per D&C rules.

it's actually a great collection, though some looks were unnecessary. It's actually flattering and youthful

This collection taught me something... I dont know ANYTHING about the italian culture. Where exatcly is the "Rome" inspiration? All i see is, a very good, regular collection.

This collection taught me something... I dont know ANYTHING about the italian culture. Where exatcly is the "Rome" inspiration? All i see is, a very good, regular collection.

born and bred in rome, and there's nothing roman here.
maybe a sl*tty 80s take of an ancient roman peplum in this look:

A2_X0316.jpg

vogue.com

but that's about it. i'm actually kinda relieved cause i feared the stereotypes he was gonna put out on the runway, but i'm so surprised cause this is mostly very good.
i guess since they were in cinecittà he could've used some cinematic inspiration, or something from la dolce vita, but i don't really see that. very good collection anyway

he could've avoided the scugnizzi/sciuscia' walking behind him, though. literally, leave that crap to dolce and gabbana.

It's absolutely gorgeous! I love how streamlined and unfussy the collection is, everything is so understated and chic! I love how the signature Chanel ornamentation is still there but it's been toned down to suit the elegant mood of the lineup, I loved every part of it- down to the shoes!

A much more edible collection than usual because the styling isn't that atrocious this time and the dark mood gives it some edge and style. Looks like Karl got some inspiration from Hedi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wwandre
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->