Charlotte Tilbury - Makeup Artist

Nani

Reaction score
Charlotte Tilbury was only 11 years old when she met makeup artist Mary Greenwell and became infatuated with her work. She began studying alongside Mary Greenwell and learned the ropes of her future profession next to her role model.

Charlotte Tilbury rapidly made a name for herself with her perfect technique and passion for colours. In the 90’s, she worked with big names like Path McGrath and Dick Page. Since then, she has teamed with some of the world’s biggest fashion photographers like Mert & Marcus and Mario Testino and with publications like Vogue.

Besides these prestigious projects, she has also done makeup for Bulgari, Valentino, Mango, Donna Karan and Dolce & Gabbana. For a Louis Vuitton campaign, she notably transformed Jennifer Lopez into a radiant Grace Kelly, Scarlett Johansson into a Marilyn Monroe baby doll and gave Christina Ricci a Jean Harlow look.

Charlotte is always in high demand to do makeup for the models at Paris, Milan, New York and London Fashion Weeks, working for Alexander McQueen, Chloe, Lanvin and Donna Karan.
http://uk.ykone.com

M.A.C. special vogue paris 90th anniversary campaign

RHg5I.jpg

models.com

Q5 with Charlotte Tilbury

jkxyJ.jpg

There are few people in the industry that can command the level of respect and admiration that comes so naturally to Charlotte Tilbury. She simply transcends titles and limitations.

And whilst Charlotte has become as recognizable as her celebrity clientele, she remains one of the most charming and accessible women you could hope to meet. She's quick to share her insider tips/tricks, and admit that she'd rather be caught nude than head out the door without a proper coat of mascara and a little color on her cheeks.

I recently had the chance to interview this globetrotting superartist, for her expert advice on everything from beauty tools and the ultimate concealer, to the secret behind her flawless complexion...

Q1. Did you always long to be an artist, or did you stumble upon your talent by chance?

I always knew I wanted to do something involving the arts. My father is a painter and I knew I had his talents but I also felt drawn to the fashion industry, with a huge interest in clothes, shoes and trends. I was always styling my friends and doing their hair.

At the age of 13, I met makeup artist Mary Greenwell and she definitely inspired me in my choice of career. But it was when I was about 16 and met a different makeup artist, with whom I had a long conversation about what his job in the fashion industry involved. I instantly knew that this was what I wanted to do with my life. There was no turning back, I had made my mind up and I told my mum that same day that I was going to be a makeup artist!

Q2. What beauty trend is most exciting to you at the moment? Why?

One makeup look I am really into at the moment is a berry stain on the lips. It’s the most modern way to wear a lipstick, patted onto your lips with a finger. Don’t worry about the lip-line not being perfect it’s part of the look to leave it soft.

Q3. If a girl is going to invest in 5 makeup brushes, which do you feel are the most important to own?
I swear by the brushes by Paula Dorf. Try her concealer brush Total Camouflage, it blends the product perfectly into the skin.

For blending eyeshadow whether it’s cream or powder, Paula Dorf’s Smoke Lid is the perfect size for blending under the lower and along the top lashes. It’s amazingly soft and also works perfectly to smudge eye-pencil.
To blend on the eye-lid and/or in the socket Sheer Crease by Paula Dorf is ideal. You will have great control of the movement of the pigment.

Trish McEvoy also does a wonderful range of brushes. The Sheer Blush brush is so soft, feels amazing on the skin and blends products amazingly. You can use it to apply your blusher and/or bronzer.

The slightly smaller version, the Highlighter brush, is the perfect tool not only to apply highlighter but also to apply powder!

Q4. What brand/type of concealer is your favorite for camouflaging the effects of a late night out (under-eye circles, blemishes)?

I love Estee Lauder’s Maximum Cover and I use them religiously! Mix with a tiny bit of moisturizer for a texture that covers any blemishes and makes your complexion look dewy and glowing!

For an under eye “lift” try Bobbi Brown’s Eye Brightener. It will get rid of any dull shadows!

Q5. You’ve got a gorgeous complexion, who/what do you rely on to keep your skin so luminous?
I do look after my skin. I cleanse it morning and night plus I have regular facials.

But I also rely on amazing products! I love all the products by Ila. Their skincare range is natural, organic and made of the best quality ingredients that are the purest available, sourced from around the world.

Their Face Oil for Glowing Radiance does exactly what it says in the name. Your skin will look rejuvenated and radiant and you will notice the difference instantly!

Ila also does a Body Oil For Vital Energy. It will help you restore your natural energy and help your body deal with everyday stress.
beautymaverick.typepad.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Vogue US March 2002
"Bright Ideas"
Photographer: Steven Klein
Fashion Editor: Phyllis Posnick
Model: Anouck Lepère
Hair: Didier Malige

bwgreyscale

This is so beautiful in print. The lipstick used in the last pic is actually dark fuchsia - reminded me of the Jil Sander SS11 makeup ("couture like") though it's not exactly the same shade of Chanel lipstick.

She is such an amazing artist!!

UK Vogue March 2011

"Glamorama"
Model: Rosie Huntington-Whiteley
Photographers: Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott
Stylist: Kate Phelan
Hair: Paul Hanlon
Makeup: Charlotte Tilbury
Manicure: Lorraine Griffin

Source: Scanned by fearless123

Jill Stuart F/W 11.12
Hair: Bob Recine

2gxp3sz.jpg

jjso5y.jpg
20uspwi.jpg

14tc2s0.jpg
favipg.jpg

Prior to Jill Stuart's show on Saturday morning, makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury and hairstylist Bob Recine teamed up for the beauty look.

Tilbury, using Stuart's own line of color cosmetics, did what she called an overall "lush bronze," look.

On the eyes, Tilbury used a Stuart eyeshadow palette, from which she blended a pewter silver and antique bronze all around the eye, and all over the lids. The corners of the eyes got a smudge of pale gold for contrast.

"It's a thick, strong eye," said [Tilbury].

She even gave a touch of bronze to the tip of the nose and the bow of the lip. And some contour was added under highlighted cheekbones. Rounding out the look was a pretty, peachy-coral stained lip, which matched many of the colors in the palette of the fashion collection.
Source: wwd.com

Has anyone tried her Myface cosmetics? I'm surprised it's not available in the US. I'm wondering how pigmented her Blingtone eyeshadows are.

" Entertainment Tonight"
allure magazine c. 1999
Models: Amy Lemmons & Georgina Cooper
Fashion Editor: Ricky Vider Ryder
Hair: Malcolm Edwards
Make-up: Charlotte Tilbury

hfgl scans

UK Vogue October 2011: Adele by Solve Sundsbo

vogue.co.uk

"The Bombshell: Adele"
Model/Star: Adele
Photographer: Solve Sundsbo
Stylist: Kate Phelan
Hair: Samantha Hillerby
Manicure: Anatole Rainey
Set Design: Andy Hillman

adelebr.net

^ ugh. was not a fan of that watered down John Waters look. looked a tad bit better than what some inexperienced cosmetics SA at your local department store would (over) do :innocent:

"Jump"
VOGUE Paris August 2003
Model: Isabeli Fontana
Photographer: David Sims
Stylist: Marie-Amélie Sauvé
Hair: Guido
Makeup: Charlotte Tillbury
Source: yangabin.club.fr

Posted by kasper!

W October 2005
Inside Out
Photographers: Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott