Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 04 Paris

just seems like sort of a waste to me.... why not be purely a costume designer? design for movies/theatre and save the money, time, that goes into this spectacle. He is clearly creative, cerebral, out of the box…. Interesting to look at by not wearable hmmmm what is it made for and if the reason is just to look at and admire or increase sales of ready to wear is that worth it?

Chicks I absolutely agree with both your posts. Its one of the reasons I've come to detest Galliano;I'm really sick of all this rehashing of the past and without any direction whatsoever. I personally hate all of this,and if everyone thinks couture is already at a far-fetched,inaccessible notion this would make one feel like HC is like going to the moon. As would any of his work in P-A-P at that.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 12:06 am
. Maybe his thinking is thus: 'I'm not making any real money out of couture so I just do what I like with it, people see this fantastic vision and they want a diluted version so they buy my RTW'...maybe he sees couture as more of a showcase for his skills than something that is actually meant to be worn...
i agree and i find Dior's latest couture much more wearable than seasons past.
Crazy make up and head dress -which i always hated and find passe- is 'normal' from Galliano, i cant see whats new about it.
his last collections were completly unwearable, those 'theatrical' new pieces at least have a shape and are quite elegant to me.
eg

It would be interesting to see some of his clothes without the hair and makeup on a woman wearing fairly normal acessories...

P.S. isn't the swept back look a reference to that famous photographer wassisname?

its a SHOW!! :wink: and its always been. even though i find DIOR way out-of-touch these days :rolleyes: i wanna thank JOHN for being here and presenting (still and always) the most outrageous couture shows..

MERCI à TOI :flower:

Also, the show is now on the website. I thought it was great! :woot: :cry:

Originally posted by Salvatore@Jan 21st, 2004 - 10:14 pm
Also, the show is now on the website. I thought it was great! :woot: :cry:
Yeah, I've just been watching the show, In my opinion, this collection is absolutely amazing! I admire Galiano for being able to turn a vision into reality and completely blow people away! The craftsmanship is just unbelievable!
John's couture has never been very wearable and never will be. That' the kind of designer he is. I've also read that there are, in fact and as unbelievable as it may seem, many woman who are completely yearning to buy his couture pieces.

haute_couture_screeen_shot_jg.jpg
:heart:

The opening is absolutely amazing!!! Erin O'Connor was stunning :o :heart:

Originally posted by keepsmiling@Jan 21st, 2004 - 9:10 pm
also read that there are, in fact and as unbelievable as it may seem, many woman who are completely yearning to buy his couture pieces.
Oh, that I can totally believe.

A friend of mine was dying to buy this dress from the fall couture collection:

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched the show earlier, and I noticed a hand pop out at John as he was walking from the catwalk back to the backstage area. He grabbed her hand and walked away. Was that Sarah Jessica Parker? :/
I know I saw a camera there, as well.... right next to her.

I think it was.

I don't mind Galliano presenting over-the-top couture extravaganza as long as the influences he uses for a collection aren't contrived or directly used. :flower: Which, as I said earlier, is the case here. :rolleyes:

i found this collection to be fabulous! I loved it. He's always over-the-top and I can accept that. I, too, would like to see what else he can do, but this is great too. It just may be a waste of fabric and money, but his shows always turn out so great! I just would like to know who buys these and where would you wear them?

what I wouldn't mind having

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum... I just saw the video in the Dior website and OMG!
I give the models an "A" for Effort ... they tried really-really-really hard not to fall (have you seen the pieces from the beginning of the show?)!

About other comments ..somewhere I posted something about designer trying hard to sell ... I guess Galliano felt the pressure and wearabalize the collection ...

Some pieces seem very-very couture ... and I'm sorry, but as an accesory freak can't say no to all those scarabs!!! :heart: :heart:

Originally posted by blumarine@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 6:54 am
Hum... I just saw the video in the Dior website and OMG!
I give the models an "A" for Effort ... they tried really-really-really hard not to fall (have you seen the pieces from the beginning of the show?)!

About other comments ..somewhere I posted something about designer trying hard to sell ... I guess Galliano felt the pressure and wearabalize the collection ...

Some pieces seem very-very couture ... and I'm sorry, but as an accesory freak can't say no to all those scarabs!!! :heart: :heart:
those scarabs were amazing...and to respond in a more general way. couture is about inspiration, it is supposed to be the most influential arm of fashion. it (in a fantastical way) expounds on the trends that will later trickle down into the ready to wear. yes some pieces are complete ostentation (just like on the other end of the spectrum, some pieces at chanel are completely commercial). but that's what the couture is about. it's about bringing these lofty artistic ideas of unreal beauty and distilling them into clothing. we all know galliano can get carried away, but in his flights of fancy, we do see moments (like some of the dresses and the scarabs) that touch us all.

I watched the show - I stand by what I said before, Galliano is brilliant

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrigitteXCX
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->