Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S 2011 Paris

I'm not seeing the "John Is Back" that everyone is saying. There are re-hashed silhouettes and near-complete remakes of gowns from recent seasons, but in a different pastel shade. Sure, there's more of a variety in cuts, but at the end of the day, it does not feel like anything "fresh" when we are talking of Galliano.
This is not haute couture, this is frou.

Ok I did post the statment that " John is Back" blah blah blah..

I have to say I do see your point. While yes he has changed some things as far as cut and color alot of the shapes are the same that he has re-used. But I personally have seen him do that ALOT now and in the past. But like I said he did change some things which I felt made this collection alot better than recent ones. So thats why I felt that John is back, not so much in the sence that he has done everything completly new and fresh, but he has started to change up his way of doing things. But like I said I do se your point

These look promising. I'm really excited!! Seems like John is making another gorgeous dreamingly couture. Last season was beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I did post the statment that " John is Back" blah blah blah..

I have to say I do see your point. While yes he has changed some things as far as cut and color alot of the shapes are the same that he has re-used. But I personally have seen him do that ALOT now and in the past. But like I said he did change some things which I felt made this collection alot better than recent ones. So thats why I felt that John is back, not so much in the sence that he has done everything completly new and fresh, but he has started to change up his way of doing things. But like I said I do se your point

I see your point as well. I suppose that, being a huge follower and admirer of John and his work, it frustrates me this place he is currently at. It is impossible for me and other to not hold him to the standard he set for himself for so many years, only to break that with collections that does not appear he is involved in with his heart and soul.

It's weird, before in his collections, the passion, soul, energy, and creativity could be felt even through the pictures. That's very hard to achieve I feel, yet he did it so easily. The collections were full of depth and made you want to study not only the pieces, but his inspirations which usually involved cross-referencing ... something else that's not that easy. John was a genius in those days, but he's fallen off as the new innovator and has left a huge hole in the haute couture landscape in my honest opinion.

This collection does not move me. I do not want to study the clothes like before. The inspiration is so suffer taking the fun out of discovering what's going on in that mad and genius mind of his. The excessive modeling/poses from the girls does not work here and I feel it's an imitation of couture ... a caricature. In the past it worked for the fact the clothes were full of life and you need someone to match that energy, but now the garments have no life and it feels the models are trying to pump blood into something dead.

I want to go to John and scream in his face while shaking him and ask what happened ? Do not get me wrong, the old costumery and near-drag-queen aesthetics may not be right for today, but there is still a way to present beautiful, fresh, and engaging collection that is "right for today" as he likes to say so often.

I'll quiet now.

the red gradation theme remind me of his dress for HC S/S 2007.

00420m.jpg

style.com

I see your point as well. I suppose that, being a huge follower and admirer of John and his work, it frustrates me this place he is currently at. It is impossible for me and other to not hold him to the standard he set for himself for so many years, only to break that with collections that does not appear he is involved in with his heart and soul.

It's weird, before in his collections, the passion, soul, energy, and creativity could be felt even through the pictures. That's very hard to achieve I feel, yet he did it so easily. The collections were full of depth and made you want to study not only the pieces, but his inspirations which usually involved cross-referencing ... something else that's not that easy. John was a genius in those days, but he's fallen off as the new innovator and has left a huge hole in the haute couture landscape in my honest opinion.

This collection does not move me. I do not want to study the clothes like before. The inspiration is so suffer taking the fun out of discovering what's going on in that mad and genius mind of his. The excessive modeling/poses from the girls does not work here and I feel it's an imitation of couture ... caricature. In the past it worked for the fact the clothes were full of life and you need someone to match that energy, but now the garments have no life and it feels the models are trying to pump blood into something dead.

I want to go to John and scream in his face while shaking him and ask what happened ? Do not get me wrong, the old costumery and near-drag-queen aesthetics may not be right for today, but there is still a way to present beautiful, fresh, and engaging collection that is "right for today" as he likes to say so often.

I'll quiet now.

U know what.. I agree with u all they way. Because yes while I do love this like this collection, its not like I whill go watch it a hundred times like I have with past collections. So everything you are saying makes sence.

I'm seeing Gruau, at least in those first black and red looks (which were the only looks that have caught my interest so far). Some of the embroidery looks like brush or pen strokes too.

The shapes are nothing new...the last few dresses are nothing new. I like how he played with proportion a bit, but it's still just New Look revisited. The darker toned pieces feel more modern, and I like it that it feels more dramatic. But all in all it still is just another New Look revisited collection.

agree, even some of the vertical headpieces are reminescent of the cellophane wraps from the last Dior couture show.

I really like the whole feel of it- especially the hair and make up- very Paris Vogue circa 1950s... B)

I don't love it, but I like it. It's very Dior, nothing new, but still a good HC colletion. The shoes are gorgeous.
This is my favourite look. It's an amazing dress imo.

http://i34.***********/u/f34/12/44/90/59/immagi24.jpg
nowfashion

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrigitteXCX
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->