CNN's This is Life with Lisa Ling: Faces That Sell

@~PinkCouture~@

Reaction score
I hope it is ok to post this here and this is the correct section. On this week's episode of "This is Life with Lisa Ling," a CNN original documentary television series, they focused on the modeling industry:
Explore the real lives of fashion models and young girls aspiring to be the next supermodel on the next episode of "This is Life with Lisa Ling" at 9 p.m. ET/PT Wednesday, October 28.

Imagine hearing this in your first job interview: "I'm here to make money, I want you to make money. ... So if I don't get you, and you don't get me, then go down the street and just keep trying. But just remember that it is a business, and we're not mean, but the best make the all-star team. 'Cause let's face it: You're all a car accident away from never looking like this again." Now, imagine you're a 15-year-old aspiring model hearing this message from a top agent who is credited with discovering Tyra Banks.

"Not all talent scouts offer such harsh words to their possible clients," says Sara Ziff, a model and director of Model Alliance, a nonprofit group that works to improve working conditions in the fashion industry.

But the message is clear, she says: The fashion industry is no place for children.

"It's a grown-up industry with grown-up pressures," says Ziff, who started her modeling career at 14. "While I don't think there's any harm in doing the odd modeling job for a Macy's catalog, too often we see child models who are being catapulted into working as adults. And they don't have the maturity to handle those situations."

With more and more young models appearing on fashion runways, we asked her to shed some light on how the fashion industry operates and why she thinks it's in dire need of major reform....

CNN.com

(I omitted Sara's interview because it talks about weight, and I know the topic is forbidden here. If anyone wants to read it just go to cnn.com)
I found the episode on YouTube. Hopefully it doesn't get deleted:

sad that we know this goes on, it's everywhere that articles/docs are made about it. has things changed? not much

Yeah.

Nobody is changing it cause they are earning so much money.

Tatiana can't possibly be living in that apartment by herself, right?

I was suspicious when she said that she was making money... then the only job that she listed was Seventeen magazine. Then to go on all of those castings for fashion week to only book a few small presentations. It's sad to know these young girls are being convinced that it will all pay off eventually and they'll make big bucks, knowing they'll probably be sent back to their hometowns broke.

I can't say that I blame any of them for taking a chance though.

And this is why we usually don't see much work from many newbies een though they may be striking.

Even the Industry itself doesn't want to spend money on models - I mean clothes instead of money - please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->