Daily Candy Sold To Comcast For $125 Million

Meg

inspired contemplation
Reaction score
Not that surprising but considering the market and the size of the compnay, the price is quite high....

Comcast Corp, the largest U.S. cable operator, said on Tuesday it is buying DailyCandy, a women's fashion and lifestyle e-mail newsletter for an undisclosed amount.

Comcast paid around $125 million for the closely held New York-based company, according to people familiar with the talks. DailyCandy employs 55 people and sends out daily e-mails to readers in 12 U.S. cities and London, England.

Comcast said DailyCandy, which started in 2000, runs a successful premium ad-supported e-mail business and has kept a loyal base of fashion-conscious women in their 20s to 40s. It said this has attracted major advertisers like American Express, Target and Procter & Gamble.

The DailyCandy service, and its 2.5 million-strong subscriber base and team, will be integrated into Comcast's web unit Comcast Interactive Media (CIM).

Comcast and DailyCandy already have an editorial relationship through two of Comcast's cable TV channels, the E! and Style networks, with editors and writers of the newsletter featuring on the networks' TV shows.

Executives said that they see local advertising and cross-platform content opportunities on other Comcast Web properties including its Web portal Comcast.net and other TV shows.

CIM has been active in making acquisitions and developing new Web sites in the last two years as the company diversifies in the changing media landscape.

In May, CIM bought Plaxo the social address book website while last year it bought Fandango, a movie fan website. It has also been developing Fancast, an online video website with hours of free TV programs similar to Hulu, a video site jointly owned by News Corp and NBC Universal, which is 80 percent owned by General Electric and 20 percent by Vivendi.

CIM is also setting up an in-house sales team to focus on selling graphic and in-video advertisements for its entertainment sites including Fandango and Fancast.

(Reporting by Yinka Adegoke; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)
From Yahoo! News

to be honest...i am shocked by the price...
daily candy has sucked for a couple of years now...

i think someone at comcast got snookered...^_^...

I'm not surprised Comcast paid that much for Daily Candy... since they were at one point battling with Viacom for it. The Daily Candy name is very recognized & 2.5 million subscribers is already a captive audience. IMO it fits right in with their plans to continue to grow as a major online presence.

Thanks for posting Meg :flower:

I'm sure Daily Candy makes loads off their ad's and their 'dedicated' email and yes they have a built in subscriber base, but I still think, given the market place at the moment and the size of Daily Candy in terms of staff and the cities they serve, it's astronomically high. However, it's something that could grow easily and I wouldn't be surprised if they started to make it more mainstream to get more people reading it as they expand.

to be honest...i am shocked by the price...
daily candy has sucked for a couple of years now...

i think someone at comcast got snookered...^_^...

I agree, years ago when it first started it was clever and useful but it lost its edge and became mundane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashiongloss
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->