Designers Switching Houses & Moving to New Brands

^That’s a myth.

In fact, many people think designer = quality, and it’s one of the biggest misconceptions in fashion in 2024. Some years or decades ago it could be the case, but now… not really.

I get them for free and never tried a designer sneaker that is more comfortable than Adidas or Nike. The only one that was super comfortable (but really ugly) was the B01.

And tbh, designer sneakers are not really designed to be comfortable and they don’t pay much attention to it most of the times. Some “cheap” brands (Asics, NB, Nike or Adidas…) invest more in technology and investigation to create comfortable sneakers than Prada, Versace or Dior.

And totally agree with whoever said Hermès image is a mess. It’s the tackiest brand ever. Wearing something by Hermès is super cheap most of the times, and even more if it’s an accessory.
And this isn't surprising ... they are experts, and the designer brands aren't. The same is true of Birkenstock. They do designer partnerships (though the results are so difficult to get hold of I don't have any), but many designers also knock them off. This is tempting because they're often better looking than the real thing, but prepare to be disappointed! For many years I've wanted a 'fancy' black, etc. pair of Birkenstocks for nice dinners while on vacation, and they literally don't make what I want. I ordered several pair of Marc Jacobs ones with beautiful marcasite buckles in a couple different colorways ... the fit was so terrible I had to return all of them. They didn't fit no matter the size. The reality is that shoes are quite difficult to do well, and designers (even giant operations like Chanel) are often surprisingly bad at it.

^ Not ripped, but 'strained' ... that is why I won't buy silk as a skirt or pants. If you don't have excellent construction, it just won't last, never mind on an adult body.
there are caveats to this, I think - a silk skirt that doesn't sit too close to the body/isn't in a pencil skirt type of cut should be ok, I've owned multiple A-line or fuller silk skirts and they are fine because they're not adhering to my bottom but I agree, trousers with a closer fit (even the kind that happens when sitting down) are tricky unless the fabric is thick.

wouldn't be surprised if Hedi does go and the successor is brought on to keep working off his template.

there are caveats to this, I think - a silk skirt that doesn't sit too close to the body/isn't in a pencil skirt type of cut should be ok, I've owned multiple A-line or fuller silk skirts and they are fine because they're not adhering to my bottom but I agree, trousers with a closer fit (even the kind that happens when sitting down) are tricky unless the fabric is thick.

wouldn't be surprised if Hedi does go and the successor is brought on to keep working off his template.
yes like SAINT LAURENT 2.0 again with another imposter designer to keep the flames going and cash in till it stagnates again

What’s to negotiate? I’d say they’d iron most things out the first time. They really should try keep him, or maybe move him idk.

Full article:
Celine Eyes Polo Ralph Lauren Designer: Sources
Michael Rider previously worked at Celine for 10 years, during the Phoebe Philo era.

By MILES SOCHA
APRIL 24, 2024, 1:00AM

Does Celine have its eye on Polo Ralph Lauren designer Michael Rider?

According to market sources, Rider is the frontrunner to take over from Hedi Slimane, who is said to have notified Celine parent LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton of his intention to step down after an acclaimed six-year tenure that lifted the brand to new heights of influence and sales.

It would mark a return to Celine for Rider, who logged a decade as design director of ready-to-wear from 2008 to 2018, working under then-creative director Phoebe Philo.

Rider is currently creative director of Polo Ralph Lauren in New York, according to his LinkedIn profile.

A graduate of Brown University in Rhode Island, he also worked as a senior designer at Balenciaga from 2004 to 2008.

Contacted by WWD on Tuesday, Celine officials declined all comment.

Neither Slimane nor Rider could immediately be reached for comment on Tuesday.

The exact timing of Slimane’s departure could not immediately be learned, but it is believed to be sometime later this year.

It may be hard to discern: The exacting designer has become fashion’s latest Greta Garbo, rarely making public appearances and granting interviews almost never. While most fashion brands have roared back to IRL shows after the coronavirus pandemic, Slimane has preferred to continue revealing Celine collections via painstakingly edited films — on his own timetable.

He unveiled Celine’s fall 2024 women’s collection online a few weeks after Paris Fashion Week — a youthful, polished take on the brand’s golden age in the ’60s — and it is understood his men’s fall 2024 collection film will be released sometime in May, nearly four months after most other European brands.

Despite his low-key profile, Slimane has built a devoted and growing global following for the brand with his finely honed rtw collections, leather goods festooned with Celine’s coveted Triomphe motif, high-profile brand ambassadors like Lalisa Manobal of Blackpink, and striking black-and-white campaigns he photographs himself.

At LVMH’s annual shareholders’ meeting last week, the luxury giant’s chairman and chief executive officer Bernard Arnault boasted about the exceptionally long lines in front of Celine stores in Japan.

It is understood LVMH wishes Slimane’s eventual successor to build on the brand’s momentum, and not stray too far from the winning template the Frenchman has forged, riffing on French bourgeois codes with sly winks to grunge and other alternative music scenes.

Alongside his fall 2024 collection film last month, Slimane teased Celine’s entry into cosmetics after a successful foray into haute perfumerie.

First up is a range of satin-finish lipsticks in 15 colors, hitting counters in January 2025. According to Celine, new beauty collections designed by Slimane are to be released each season, ultimately comprising lip balms, mascaras, nail polish, eyeliners and pencils, loose powders and blush cases, as reported.

Fully acquired by LVMH in 1996, Celine has cycled through a number of creative directors over the years, including Michael Kors, Roberto Menichetti and Ivana Omazic.

Slimane has a long and gold-plated track record of revving up heritage brands — and then stepping out at the top of his game. A recent report on LVMH by RBC Capital Markets analysts pegged Celine revenues at around 2.5 billion euros.

Slimane catapulted to international prominence in the late ’90s as the designer at Yves Saint Laurent Rive Homme, going on to design for Dior Homme, only to return to YSL and change its name to Saint Laurent. He joined Celine in 2018 and extended the brand into menswear and beauty categories.
Source: WWD

Lmao, would love to see the faces of those tfsers saying Miss Tweed was inventing things for the sake of views, that the poor girl was a scam and that Hedi would never leave Céline :lol: (Omg, these emojis are such a throwback).

Some people are saying he will go to Chanel, but it can't be true. Chanel, even if it's a total bore, needs more stability I think.

Lmao, would love to see the faces of those tfsers saying Miss Tweed was inventing things for the sake of views, that the poor girl was a scam and that Hedi would never leave Céline :lol: (Omg, these emojis are such a throwback).

Some people are saying he will go to Chanel, but it can't be true. Chanel, even if it's a total bore, needs more stability I think.
I was called a liar for just posting her article lol :wacko:.
you would imagine that's the whole point for joining a forum is to share and discuss news and subjects related to topic of interest ...to have new insights etc

This is very shocking if it all pans out to be true. I just couldn't believe the Miss Tweed article or any others because of the fact of how well Celine was doing and that Hedi seemed to be getting everything he wanted. I guess not !

so the bit about sarah burton being "too mcqueen" for givenchy is true then

walajuku-walajukuevans.gif

that witch-hunt was absolutely insane. people calling him misogynistic and tone-deaf... those philophiles are unhinged, jobless and have nothing to lose
The worse thing is that they complained that nobody could replace her and then when she released her collection, they talk about how they've moved on to BV and The Row.

Why would anyone be surprised at Sarah Burton being called too McQueen for Givenchy, come on lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->