Dior: The Borehouse

^ I know: I also despise 90% of all Dior ads. The older and the latest ones. The pink Angela one is the worst in my opinion. So Playboy and like you said, extremely slimy-looking.

I had truly loved that one Kate most campaign though: the hazy/heavy sunlight one, and the Stella Tenant one with Dior-nude.

adv_7118.JPG

adv_6205.JPG
adv_6206.JPG

(btw, I think Dior Detective was also a great bag.)

The rest are usually so cheap looking. Esp. the Gisele sets.

images from bwgreyscale.com

^^I agree...Stella's SS 06 ads are some of my favorite ads of all time...they are so wonderful.

I totally understand the want for something more aesthetically pleasing- art, if you will- but I also can see why the Dior of the last few seasons has been so prim and proper. The women buying couture and, given the economy, maybe even ready to wear, are older and financially secure. They might not want or need something avante garde, edgy, dramatic.

Waaay back at the dawn of the 21st century, I'd say the fashion reflected the times- Tom Ford was bringing vulgar back at Gucci and hypersexualizing everything at YSL, Versace was damn near sending girls down the runways in pasties and body jewelry, and "needs more sequins" was probably heard on more than one occasion at more than one fashion house. :wink:

Now that times are hard, some designers- in my opinon- feel as though they either sink or swim, stick to what they want to do and end up amongst the many unemployed (I'm looking at you, Olivier), or they "sell out." I don't blame them for selling out though; everyone's got to get paid. And I think once times change back, so will the fashion.

those ads with Tennat are so gorgeous. tho i do believe that the clothes did their part. that collection was simply perfect and stunning, yet beautifully simple. even the runway presentation was gorgeous. (minus those clogs on the final looks. i mean, brown clogs with a chiffon evening gown???)

It's over-the-top, doesn't make money, and money is in short supply these days.

Or rather, it's constantly courted the younger moneyed client, who changes taste every season, and who tends to have less purchasing power than older, more conservative buyers.

Or.. Fashion moves too fast and Dior can't keep its finger on the pulse of a demographic so fickle.

Or... knockoffs cheapened the brand.

Blah blah blah...

Last edited by a moderator:
it's funny how this topic has become relevant again with john galliano's latest retreat BACK into the archives of dior. just when we thought we saw some of that old attitude resurfacing at dior -- what with the military and equestrian -- we find him put that back into the closet with the latest collection. it's so disappointing in so many ways, but for me, the biggest disappointment comes in the fact that i honestly don't even see people aspiring for this dior look. it's just like this fashion anomaly that we feel compelled to follow six times a year.

29m.jpg

style.com

it's so disappointing in so many ways, but for me, the biggest disappointment comes in the fact that i honestly don't even see people aspiring for this dior look. it's just like this fashion anomaly that we feel compelled to follow six times a year.

I've despised this Dior "look" since its beginnings (which i think we would agree are in the mid/late noughties). I've hated John for not realizing this. If hated him for losing his sparkle, for giving up.
I wonder if we could call this collection "an all time low".
The FT recently published an interview to Joan Burstein (Mrs B from Browns in London), where she talked about the various talented designers that she has met and helped launch their careers.
John, of course was one of them. She was one who immediately spotted his talent (she bought his entire graduate collection from CSM).
Of his talent and his collections she said:
"it was so wild...
a whole different concept...
it wasn't conforming to anything; it was himself and what he felt at that time.
That inspiration that makes a designer want to give something so different. I met him at that very initial stage"
I never thought he would be designing for Dior but I always knew he would be wonderful"

I can't help wondering, how all that talent got wasted so fast.
Is there anything left of that revel Gibraltarian he used to be?

What I was most tempted to think at first, was that just as precociously as he had attained his star couturier status, he could be experiencing the decline many grand designers go through at the end of their careers.
Valentino, for instance, could be regarded as someone who for many seasons (particularly at the end of his career), found it impossible to evolve and stay relevant.
Nevertheless, that would seem unfair to Valentino, who after all, always stayed true to his values and what he thought made women beautiful.

The same can't be said about Galliano. Galliano has gone perhaps in Saint Laurent's way.
There's a documentary somewhere on youtube about the 30th anniversary of YSL and his couture house. It's a long, documentary with lots of footage. The old saint laurent, the young saint laurent.
In one of his earlier interviews, he states how much he hates "la bourgeoisie", how he tries to make clothes for a different woman.
At the end of the documentary however, it is a very different Saint Laurent speaking. His collections have been consistent rehashes of his glorified 70s collections. the critics still respect him, but they all point out how little he is contributing to fashion.
And that is a lot like what John is doing today at Dior. Even worse, at least Yves was basing his later work on his own sources. Galliano, unfortunately is not even exploiting his own talent, but the Dior archives. Bar suits, pastels, the boxy kennedy like dresses... it's artificial and dated.

Just as recognizable and predictable as the all over logos he was doing a decade ago, only this is by no means shocking or in any way groundbreaking.
This isn't Dior for the chic competent woman takes pleasure in dressing up and uses the bodyhugging cut of a bias cut dress as her tools and sure weapons.
I see this woman as the spoiled billionaire, divorced mother of three who wants to believe there's still hope for her beyond a scalpel or her biannual botox. Dior therefor becomes paradise for the silicon monsters, peroxide blond addicts, dressed in pretty pink around the year to make sure everyone gets the message that they are 'classy and fabulous'.
Nothing to do with the almost obscure elegant lady of whom we could expect almost anything not that many years ago, that's for sure

The worst thing about how boring Dior is now is how Christian Dior was the Galliano c. 2003 of his time; he took what was hot and relevant in the mainstream and turned into into something more high end and "fashion". I honestly think the man would have preferred outlandish and over the top to the work Galliano is producing now. He was the creator of the "new look"; something tells me the last few stagnant Dior collections would have disappointed him.

Dkammern;7253581}...I can't help wondering said:
you see, i disagree here: it's not that his creativity has vanished. it just has disappeared from the house of dior. it's still very present at his eponymous house.

Just as recognizable and predictable as the all over logos he was doing a decade ago, only this is by no means shocking or in any way groundbreaking.
This isn't Dior for the chic competent woman takes pleasure in dressing up and uses the bodyhugging cut of a bias cut dress as her tools and sure weapons.
I see this woman as the spoiled billionaire, divorced mother of three who wants to believe there's still hope for her beyond a scalpel or her biannual botox. Dior therefor becomes paradise for the silicon monsters, peroxide blond addicts, dressed in pretty pink around the year to make sure everyone gets the message that they are 'classy and fabulous'.
Nothing to do with the almost obscure elegant lady of whom we could expect almost anything not that many years ago, that's for sure
this isn't even that woman. spoiled billionaire divorcees may do dior for a ladies' luncheon, a christening, or garden parties with the ambassador's wives, but the true fashion girl doesn't wear dior the way it's presented at all. those bags -- you would never believe it -- are actually kind of insiderish and trendy. and when worn right -- which has nothing to do with how it looks on the runway -- dior still makes an impact. i just wish dior would go back to the excitement of sometime ago and comport more with the reality of the way women dress today. and the way their customers actually wear their clothes and bag.

source: http://streetpeeper.com/fashion/harley-orange-croc-skin

Attachments

• therealdior.JPG
    therealdior.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 19
^^and my fear is that "the true fashion girl" may not even bother to pass by dior to see if there's still something that she is interested in.
as much as true style may reside in mixing things, combining them in unexpected ways, making the look personal and not all about the initial idea behind the product, brand or collection, there has to be an initial je ne sais quoi that draws the customer to the store. the looks must be there for them to reinterpret it.
what you describe as taking the boring catwalk combinations and turning them into something exciting sounds more like a flea market venture than what an Avenue Montaigne shopping experience should be like.
The look you posted (which judging by the color and material looks like something circa 2007) is an exception to one of the biggest problems at Dior right now, which to me is that not many of their propositions offer the flexibility to be truly styled and personalized.
00370m.jpg

style.com
I mean, for Polyvore-gods' sake! Don't tell me this would look better with her hair down, and do not try to convince me this could look great with cigarette jeans and some cool ankle booties... because the truth is there is no way of making this look personal, or exciting, or whatever the house of Dior should stand for.
(i was temped to post this picture instead, but I don't want to hurt anyone's sensibility)

Of all the streetstyle photographers and bloggers that capture the arrivals to the shows (the paradigm of inspiration for true fashion girls) I can't remember the last time that a Dior piece, rtw, would really catch my attention.
Accessories may be a different story, but still I don't see how they are relevant and how could they possibly make an impact.
Dior bags for me fall into two different categories
There's the Queen Mother-y bags, which are ironically represented by the Lady D(ior) in all sorts of satins and glossy leathers. All of them very 60ish and very match-my-equally-shiny-camberry-suit, clasped and rigorously framed.
And then there's the heavy hobos. Slouchy versions of the Lady Dior that you can throw over your shoulder, with the omnipresent cannage that fails to attain the true classic status that the chanel quilting has.
There are other bags, as I hope the clever Saddle never went out of production, but they are sure not what Dior is trying to "push" these days (speaking of which, they are actually trying to make their "New Lock" happen, but it could easily fall into the cannage amalgama category)

so i guess the point of the story is, both of us seem to have similar points of view on how Dior is positioning itself by keeping the styling boring and the ladies who lunch happy, you just seem to be more optimistic about it, given that you still have faith in the true fashion girls (like the lovely blonde you posted) on whom I can't keep counting on.
On something else we agree, and maybe I failed at making that clear is that his creativity is only absent when he shows for Dior. Galliano the brand stays in pretty good shape, if you ask me.

I mean, for Polyvore-gods' sake! Don't tell me this would look better with her hair down, and do not try to convince me this could look great with cigarette jeans and some cool ankle booties...

we so agree although i would try to convince you that they would look good....with skinny balmain jeans and spindly sandals.... :flower:

00110m.jpg

No spindly sandals could possibly make you take your eyes off a barrel-shaped silky jacket, and not in a good way, say I -_-
If it was the tanned leather jacket that is walking away on the pic I posted, maybe I would agree.
(of course I wasn't going to let you add one "but" without having a shot to answer)

^ i'm thinking that last post sounded a bit harsh (not my intention ^_^)

Thank you for the wonderful post. I understand the disappointment of a fashion house that never reaches it's full potential.

But I am going to go out on a limb and declare my love for Galliano's F/W 2008 collection at Dior. I love the 60's and I think he did a fabulous job at bringing a smile to many RTW clients faces when they saw the collection. It was a flash back to their youth for these women, now much older but who can still recall the glamour, cat eyes, oh and that hair, yes the teased hair they could never forget. The collection reminded a lot of my women's RTW clients of their youth, and how decadent fashion used to be. Today, eveything is so serious, you get trashed if you buy good clothes in in these 'poor economic times' and then you get trashed if you wear last season's dress.

I really love the next look. Groundbreaking no. But fabulous yes. Who needs a je ne sais quoi attitude when you are wearing a $80,000 coat in the midst of a recession. Rich woman know this, and they appreciate these pieces because the Paris collections set the tone for future to come. And the message here is that the times are changing and excess is nouveau again.

00050m.jpg

Again, I loved you post and found it quite humorous and enlightening. But I just wanted to share that there a lot of women out there who went crazy for this collection, the presentation was fun and a good stylist just needs to tone done matchiness (lluxury leggings - Giorgio Armani $1,200) are the trick for older clients who need a solid bottom for these conceptual jackets.

style.com

Thank you for the wonderful post. I understand the disappointment of a fashion house that never reaches it's full potential.

But I am going to go out on a limb and declare my love for Galliano's F/W 2008 collection at Dior. I love the 60's and I think he did a fabulous job at bringing a smile to many RTW clients faces when they saw the collection. It was a flash back to their youth for these women, now much older but who can still recall the glamour, cat eyes, oh and that hair, yes the teased hair they could never forget. The collection reminded a lot of my women's RTW clients of their youth, and how decadent fashion used to be. Today, eveything is so serious, you get trashed if you buy good clothes in in these 'poor economic times' and then you get trashed if you wear last season's dress.

I really love the next look. Groundbreaking no. But fabulous yes. Who needs a je ne sais quoi attitude when you are wearing a $80,000 coat in the midst of a recession. Rich woman know this, and they appreciate these pieces because the Paris collections set the tone for future to come. And the message here is that the times are changing and excess is nouveau again.

*please do not quote images*

Again, I loved you post and found it quite humorous and enlightening. But I just wanted to share that there a lot of women out there who went crazy for this collection, the presentation was fun and a good stylist just needs to tone done matchiness (lluxury leggings - Giorgio Armani $1,200) are the trick for older clients who need a solid bottom for these conceptual jackets.[/i][/i]

no one argues that john galliano can't cut a mean dress or a traffic-stopping coat. it's just that the clothing from the house no longer stands with the leaders of the fashion pack as it once did. the accessories still make for swift sales given the right market conditions, but the frenzy surrounding the clothing has gone the way of oscar de la renta, carolina herrera, and others who appeal more to a woman of a certain age and not the youthful fashion-obsessed bunch to which it used to appeal. seriously, compare this coat to this one....

00050m.jpg
00130m.jpg

style.com

^^that FW show was just fantastical (still have the soundtrack on my iPod. My Sharona and You Give Love a Bad Name)! specially after the dramatic couture show.
At that time John still knew how to keep a balance between the couture, and then diluting and evolving the concept just a bit for the rtw

I still go back to that F/W 06 collection as an ideal mix of fashion and product. Those clothes were great looking on the rack; interesting textures, beautiful colors, and packed with attitude even without the runway styling.

I don't know that it was Galliano's most influential RTW collection (as maligned as they might be, the collections from S/S 00 to S/S 01 probably had the greatest reach both in and out of the fashion world), but the clothes were still incredibly cool and very wearable.

My problem with Dior is the QUALITY....
Quality with Dior goods is going down hill
A hafty price tag for just simply sewn dress while they categorize more sophisticatedly made dresses as couture
hellow....Nowadays, WOMEN ARE NOT STUPID ANYMORE....
A video of a workman holding a hammer and "tock tock tock-ing" a lady-dior bag wont fool the consumers--> clever onesB)B)B)B)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ebbbbty
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->