Dutch.......tallest Nation

Acid

yes
Reaction score
from yahoo news........

At the end of World War II, the average American male was nearly 5 foot 10, while the average Dutchman measured little more than 5 foot 7. But starting in the 1950s, the Dutch began shooting up, an average of almost an inch per decade, to the point that the average height for an adult Dutch male today is just under 6 foot 1.

A new survey that measured 10,000 Dutch schoolchildren confirms their status as the world's tallest and suggests that the growth trend will keep up for at least a decade. Scandinavians and other Northern Europeans experienced similar growth spurts. So have the once-short Japanese.

During the same period, Americans expanded horizontally but not vertically :lol:. The average height of the American male today is stuck at 5 feet 9 1/2 inches. U.S. women have actually lost a third of an inch and are on average slightly over 5 foot 4.

"More milk products, smaller families and better hygiene--those are the main reasons why the Dutch have increased in length," Bruintjes said. "But I also think there must be something in our genetic makeup."

Genetics may hold some answers to why Bruintjes, 53, is at least a head taller than his neighbors, but researchers say it doesn't shed much light on why the Dutch as a whole are so much taller than the Americans or the Italians or the Greeks.

Lol, it's true, I'm Dutch...tall people here....but how much is all that in centimetres?

wow, they make us folk in America look worse every day... lol :(

Originally posted by Mr-Dale@Jul 4th, 2004 - 6:09 pm
Lol, it's true, I'm Dutch...tall people here....but how much is all that in centimetres?
about 185cm

is that true though :shock: ? if so im starting a model agency right away :lol:

Wow. I'm 1/2 inch away from being an average american male :cry:
And 5 inches shorter than the average dutchman :cry: :doh:

*Sigh* I'm short...

I've said this before, but I'm only 1,71 m which makes me shorter than practically everyone back in Sweden... But it doesn't bother me, I don't feel short! I bet I would notice how tall the Dutch are, and still don't feel "too short". Funny...

Anyway, these countries with their growth spurts are countries where the diet has changed; a lot more protein is eaten compared to 50 years ago. Not only more milk products, like Bruintjes suggested. We also eat a lot more meat.

Just a thought: In rats, a high protein diet has produced fast-growing, large animals. They got bigger, but they also died sooner than "regular" rats...

Originally posted by Acid+Jul 4th, 2004 - 9:36 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Acid @ Jul 4th, 2004 - 9:36 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr-Dale@Jul 4th, 2004 - 6:09 pm
about 185cm

is that true though :shock: ? if so im starting a model agency right away :lol: [/b][/quote]
I'm 16 (thus still growing :P) and allready 187 cm....and I'm not even the tallest in my class...

thats true because i live in an area with lots of Scandinavians and im one of the shortest in my class at 5' 8" and im just 16, so hopefully im still growing...

:ninja: I hate the Dutch now :lol:
I think the average female height here is 5'3..please let me be at LEAST 5'7, I don't want to be average..I want more ! :cry:
do you know if I can grow at least 6 inches in 5 years ???!

This maybe a little naive on my part but I would think that a country in Africa would be the tallest nation :unsure:

I just think that because all the people I know from Africa are super tall :flower:

The area my mom lives in is full of Dutch people and their families.

It's true, they're very tall! They're also very hot. Mrow.

enrichi :shifty: you are so correct about them being hot as well as tall

guess where im going in 2 weeks time :buzz: im so looking foward

I am always amazed at the largeness of the Dutch, and I am not a short girl myself, but I didn't think it was such a recent thing. I find it bizarre that the average Dutch person has grown almost half a foot in 50 years. That is a huge difference! Are they putting something in the water?

Originally posted by Acid@Jul 7th, 2004 - 1:40 pm
enrichi :shifty: you are so correct about them being hot as well as tall

guess where im going in 2 weeks time :buzz: im so looking foward
Oohh...you're coming over to Holland....do feel free and visit me for some tea :lol:

tea? :lol: how about you come partying in rotterdam so we can find some cute sweedish/dutch guys :shifty:

Originally posted by Acid@Jul 8th, 2004 - 9:42 am
tea? :lol: how about you come partying in rotterdam so we can find some cute sweedish/dutch guys :shifty:
I think I'll pass on the boys and will find some girls :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seeress
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->