Dutch.......tallest Nation

Acid;15332[/b said:
During the same period, Americans expanded horizontally but not vertically :lol:. The average height of the American male today is stuck at 5 feet 9 1/2 inches. U.S. women have actually lost a third of an inch and are on average slightly over 5 foot 4.

I have to disagree with you on this. My oldest nephew who turned 12 in April is currently 5'8" and still growing. My youngest niece Mia at age 2 is 3'2". Many people I know who have children, their children are growing like weeds too. I know few teenagers who are quite tall for their age as well. Those teens that I know, girls are anywhere from 5'6" to 5'9" and the boys are 6 ft and taller. (I see this in the area where I live) However, I will agree that many American's (many children) have grown sideways within the last decade or so. Which is quite disturbing. :shock:

I have to disagree with you on this. My oldest nephew who turned 12 in April is currently 5'8" and still growing. My youngest niece Mia at age 2 is 3'2". Many people I know who have children, their children are growing like weeds too. I know few teenagers who are quite tall for their age as well. Those teens that I know, girls are anywhere from 5'6" to 5'9" and the boys are 6 ft and taller. (I see this in the area where I live) However, I will agree that many American's (many children) have grown sideways within the last decade or so. Which is quite disturbing. :shock:

but that is only a small percent of an entire nation's population. perhaps were you live everyone is rather leggy, i live in California and many are tall (mostly because everyone here is trying to be an actor/model/celebrity). but in other parts of the country, women and men aren't as tall. naturally your nephew and niece are still growing, and a big factor goes to genetics so their parents might be tall themselves. i was tall when i was a child too and then just stopped growing at 5'7 even though so many people said i'd keep growing :cry::cry::cry: they jinxed me.

before people dispute the studies claims, we should take into account that perceptions of height are not always based on accurate evidence. i know many people that are 5'4 say they're 5'9 because they don't know how tall 5'9 really is. they think they're this tall and everyone else is taller than them, and people like their roommates that are taller than them start believing that they really are much taller than they really are. it's really strange.

i notice that many people don't measure height properly. i've been told that measuring against a wall in the style of institutions like police offices aren't completely exact because walls settle, compress and shorten through gravitational shifting over time. this is especially true of cement walls, and the floor/platform the wall rests on may not be stable in all areas.

measuring on a scale can be inaccurate too because the platform can be too wobbly, and the meter being raised may not be calibrated correctly.

with this said, what is the most accurate way of measuring someone's height? i'm thinking that laying straight down flat on the floor at rest may be the best way to do it. laying a yard stick next to the person for comparison. what do you think?

but that is only a small percent of an entire nation's population. perhaps were you live everyone is rather leggy, i live in California and many are tall (mostly because everyone here is trying to be an actor/model/celebrity). but in other parts of the country, women and men aren't as tall. naturally your nephew and niece are still growing, and a big factor goes to genetics so their parents might be tall themselves. i was tall when i was a child too and then just stopped growing at 5'7 even though so many people said i'd keep growing :cry::cry::cry: they jinxed me.
wouldn't there be a lot of shorter people from mexico and the phillipines in california?

My mom is 100% Dutch and 5"0 hahaha her parents are 5"4 and 5"6
but I guess they are ultra rare

It seems rather strange to me that they would talk about the height of the 'average American' because- uh well. . .America is a nation of immigrants. No wonder our average is somewhat in the middle because we have all kinds of people living here.

Unless they just meant the average white American. . .in which case they should have just said that.

the average American for the height studies is regarding everyone that lives in the united states. that means the average person, regardless of their ethnicity or combined ethnicities, that has ever had the opportunity of being measured in school/at a doctor's office/in the military.

it's confusing that those specifically raised in the US of A are called americans. technically anyone from north or south america is an american, right?

so the average white american is the same height as the average japanese-white-american or the average hispanic-japanese-black-and-white american!
statistically, as a whole, these are their findings. the center for disease control and prevention also publishes these findings.

it is really interesting that despite being a country of many multi-racial individuals, we still have an average height across all races and combination of races.

it seems that regardless of your ancestory, growing up in this country negatively effects your height potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm not surprised the Netherlands has a high standard of living. In addition, the Dutch are a tolerant, intelligent and "liberal" group of people, this allows them to live less stressful lifestyles than most countries. Yes, genetics is definitely part of it, but lifestyle and environment determines the final outcome, i.e., less stressed, adaptable, flexible, and ultimately taller people.

^:lol: flattery will get you higher...

...I was watching Rick Steves the other day, the Amsterdam episode and there was this Dutch woman talking about how the WWII generation had a shortage of food during the war.. so they started consuming tulip bulbs for a long time and as a consequence, the children of that time didn't develop properly and became the shortest generation in the Netherlands. is there any more info on that?. it sounds.. interesting, to say the least.

my friend and I.. in one of those veeery random pseudo-philosophical talks came up with this theory about Dutch people being so tall due to their country's elevation.. we made a series of connections that would be too annoying to explain but does anyone else think it could be true? :lol::meow:.. since people in the highest places of the world tend to be remarkably short (central Mexico, Peru, central Asia) whereas those below sea level such as the Netherlands, Denmark, the tip of Argentina, etc.. tend to be.. very tall, regardless of their ethnic background. I know there are other factors for human's height but I wonder if elevation's ever been considered as a major influence?. :ninja:

This thread makes me feel like a living anachronism.

i don't remember why exactly but i think it has to do with the stuff they give to the cows. they give them antibiotics and it sometimes makes the cows' utters swell up and puss up, so when they milk the cows some of the puss in the utters fall into the milk. also the antibiotics are in the milk itself. it's really gross. :shock:

cow milk is also very high in protein and protein stops calcium absorption. there are a lot of studies saying how milk causes osteoporosis and other bad things. one of the more interesting points were how americans drink/consume more dairy products than almost any other nation and we also have one of the highest rate of osteoporosis.

^^

Thats why I'm glad I stopped eating dairy a long time ago!

In terms of height, I live in the Bay Area and walk in the Financial District (San Francisco) and feel MOST of the women there are definitely taller than I am with flats. I'm 5'5" or 5'6" on a good day so I feel rather short. I have longer legs for my height so at least that helps...:wink:

My family is somewhat tall, and we've always said it was because of our heritage. But we did eat somewhat healthy growing up, so maybe it's culteral as well. But I don't see what the big fuss is. It seems we're looking down on American height in this thread. Why is everyone so picky? Atleast we're not all 3 feet tall and crippled.

with this said, what is the most accurate way of measuring someone's height? i'm thinking that laying straight down flat on the floor at rest may be the best way to do it. laying a yard stick next to the person for comparison. what do you think?

Your spine (or whatever, not feeling technical right now-) stretches out when you lie down for a while, so you could get varying results each time. That's probably the least accurate way to measure.

I'm dutch! And I'm only 5'7, but that's maybe because I sported allot during the age 12-14 which is were you grow the much as girl. (I think, dunno for sure)

Most of my friends are taller then me, and it's true that dutch people are much taller then other european countries like Italie and France. But scandinavians are tall too!:wink:

And we bike allot!:smile: But I don't think that has anything to do with it!:P

cow milk is also very high in protein and protein stops calcium absorption. there are a lot of studies saying how milk causes osteoporosis and other bad things. one of the more interesting points were how americans drink/consume more dairy products than almost any other nation and we also have one of the highest rate of osteoporosis.

Maybe it is just the American milk because my husband (who is Dutch) drinks at least two cups of milk every single day and has done so all his life. He's perfectly healthy. Same goes for his parents who are nearing their seventies and have no problems with their bones or anything else. They are the healthiest people in their sixties that I have ever met.

I loved visiting Amsterdam because I did not stick out like a sore thumb (as I do in America, being a 5' 11" girl).

^_^

what's rick steves about? a show? sounds intriguing.

elevation encouraging people to be taller, perhaps by reaching higher? maybe there is a physics theory on that.....or how about how being in low elevation makes you reach higher and walk straighter for better lung support to get more air? being straighter and attempting to be less compressed helps create space between your spinal bones, which gives the discs and soft tissues more room to stretch and have more movement. more length and more movement means less rotation and less compression, two problems that can make someone absolutely shorter. rotation can cause scoliosis which definitely knocks peoples height off kilter and compression can cause bone deformity where the bones fuse together and kill the disc.

i can see how something like this could work...

no...i wish i had dutch GENES
at 15 and 5'4, it is very unlikely that i will grow any more

but i worry that i stunted my growth, now, reading this thread :cry: :wink:

Kanita- May I ask how old are you? and what's your parents height?
Mr-Dale- Wow.. You are very tall. As a Dutch, please tell us what are you eating? or something.. I mean, I am 167-169(not sure)and I'm so want to be taller!

blah. I am so desperate for being taller that it is sad. I'm drinking Soy milk and I am not eating meat at all- Do you think I should?(eat meat and drink cow milk?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->