Equestrian style - what to wear around horses

I love dressage, the look of it at least. I took some lessons in dressage, from a woman who shows Grand Prix, it is exhausting and repetitive work for my baby, and for my brain! :lol:

I will post a photo of Marcus, my thouroughbred, soon. I just got him some new pajamas. B)

^^:lol: Probably. You know what they say about little horses/ponies...that their spirited personalities make up for their size. :wink:
I can say the same about my big KWPN gelding. :lol: Sometimes I could swear that horse was a human in his previous life.

at that stables, why would you wear something else than a just good old jeans, shirt or sweatshirt and boots ? add a barbour jkt or coat (brown) ... that will be enough for winter.

^^^^^its more a question of what to wear when you are out and about at equestrian events. For example when you are at a clinic or competition but during the times when you aren't riding but perhaps waiting in the wings and such. Thats when its more important to look neat rather than baby birds mistaking you hair for their home, black smeared across face and mud on your pants.

Sea Of Love said:
Thats when its more important to look neat rather than baby birds mistaking you hair for their home
:lol:
black smeared across face
I try not touching my face when I'm mucking stalls (mine and other horses) as I'm wearing gloves that frequently touch manure. I end up just sweating and wiping my face on my sleeve and I keep telling myself, "Never mind at this point you've applied 8 products to your skin this morning, this is for your horse", but by the end of cleaning, I am ready to go indoors and shower.

I know this has nothing to do with equestrian style, but I liked this little questionnaire I came across on a horse forum I frequent. Perhaps you horse-lovers/owners/friends here at tFS would answer just for fun-(some might not apply to you)
Picking up manure in four paddocks: I do this daily, it usually takes 20 minutes a paddock, sometimes 30 when I'm cleaning the stall that leads to outdoor paddock. So that is 2 hours.

Sweeping out stalls: 2 hours a day, I'm just combining this with picking up the manure.

Turning out horses on pasture: It takes about 5 to 7 minutes per horse, twice a day, A.M. out to pasture and late afternoon back indoors

Feeding three times a day: Alfalfa grass and mush is generally prepared and bagged ahead of time, but its about 20 minutes each time

Tacking up English: I timed myself, 15 minutes

Untacking horse and putting stuff away: 30 minutes...I take so long to do anything

Cleaning tack: Wish I had more time! About once a week, twice if I'm lucky, three times if I'm really good with time

^^^^ is it bad that I have my horses stabled somewhere else so a lot of that stuff doesn't really apply to me :innocent: it isn't really by choice because I would love to have my horses at home!

are each of the questions related to how long it takes you each day to do?

No I dont consider that 'bad'...I'd love to take some time off from chores and hire someone to clean stalls for me. :P

Sea Of Love said:
are each of the questions related to how long it takes you each day to do?

You are correct. Yesterday I was bringing in another horse that is boarded with mine, (I had her on a lead obviously) and she knew it was her dinner time, so she was anxious to get to her stall.....there is a stone wall that her buckets hang from and she was so eager to eat she pushed me into the corner of the wall as we were walking in and I scraped my elbow all along the corner. I should have been wearing longer sleeves but I was hot from cleaning. Looking at the bruise this morning it could have been a lot worse. Anyway, some useless horse info there.

You're in Australia so I bet it's really nice warm weather for riding! :flower:

ouch!:blink:

In Australian it is actually a really bad time for riding I think. Once 9am hits I find it too hot to work the horses and it cools down around 6pm but then it often storms so you can't ride then either:blink: and at around dusk often kangaroos come out around the place and scare the horses, you really can't win!:lol:

I much prefer riding on crisp winter mornings but it is never really all that cold here to have trouble riding in winter, you usually get a warm sun in the day to ride in:heart:

How about you?

oh and on topic so this doesn't get nuked, I need some pants but not jeans because I find them uncomfortable. So what are some nice styles of pants to get? Comfort is key!

When I used to ride,it was all about stretchy jodhpurs and a light cotton shirt.In winter a fleece or down vest.I always wanted to wear a scarf because my nose would run,but those sneaky guys like to chew on them.I didn't want to invest in any nice boots so I'd just wear wellies.I wish I'd had the thin wool gloves that I do now,they don't cling too much and you can feel everything through them.

I can only ride indoors right now. The ground outside is way too frozen right now.
We have a good ground which takes up a lot of water (Plus when you live here) but when it freezes one night, you can only walk. No trot, no canter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->