Fashion Career Building Activities if you are Still in High School

is having a fashion blog helpful? vs the time spent on it?
yeah, i think so. i find that it's a great way to practise writing, express your views and learn new things about fashion. you can spent as much or as little time as you want on it, so that's your choice really. but if you're thinking about starting one, then i'd say go for it :] i really enjoy doing mine, even if i dont get many readers!

www.rcfashion.blogspot.com

I don't think it helps me A LOT but yeah it helps me vent my feelings on fashion

Got it, thank you guys, i think i'm gonna start one. it's Alot better than trying to beat best time on minesweepers :ninja::lol:

so i want to start a fashion club during the upcoming school year as a sophomore.
and i'm wondering, what exactly would we do, though?

i was thinking of a year long project to be a benefit fashion show

but while we're not working on that, what would we do in the meantime?

Ok well i thought about having a fashion club at my school and I don't know what to do either. I was thinking maybe read mags and stuff but im sure theres more to it

so i want to start a fashion club during the upcoming school year as a sophomore.
and i'm wondering, what exactly would we do, though?

i was thinking of a year long project to be a benefit fashion show

but while we're not working on that, what would we do in the meantime?

our school actually has a fashion club
but name is bit misleading
they do quilting. :blink:

it has something to do with every quilt piece you make you get community service hours. And in the end (not like term, but after they get enough) quilts are put together and given the orphanage.

And your pieces you can put creative expression on it.

i personally don't like quilting, and rather step on my sewing machine and get it done in 2 seconds, but some people like the process.

So you can leave that as an option. With that put some other random activities in. possibly.

yeah, i was thinking about that too, starting a fashion club. it sucks because at my school everyone's style is so mainstream and tna bags. it's boring but i still want to have one with a small number of people who love it. but i was thinking maybe instead of making all the clothes, we could thrifted and style it. i really don't know. any ideas?

styling is a prett good idea, you should talk to the teachers about it first

It is much harder to get work experience in the UK if you are under 16, sometimes even under 18. There are tons of laws here (for example if you're female you can't be left alone with a male employee if you're under 16, they should be CRB checked, have insurance to cover U16's etc etc) which makes it a lot more difficult and why a lot of big companies just don't want the hassle. I'm 16 and the best thing I've found is getting retail experience in high end designer stores (I'm going to Mulberry in two weeks), then concentrate on getting placements at magazines etc when you're studying for your degree or in upper sixth.

It is much harder to get work experience in the UK if you are under 16, sometimes even under 18. There are tons of laws here (for example if you're female you can't be left alone with a male employee if you're under 16, they should be CRB checked, have insurance to cover U16's etc etc) which makes it a lot more difficult and why a lot of big companies just don't want the hassle. I'm 16 and the best thing I've found is getting retail experience in high end designer stores (I'm going to Mulberry in two weeks), then concentrate on getting placements at magazines etc when you're studying for your degree or in upper sixth.

how did you land a job in a high end store at sixteen?
that's crazy. i don't think you can apply to stores like H&M at age 16.

ahh honestly, they don't care about age as much as we think they do. harass everyone to get jobs and that's the only thing you can do to get started. and try really really hard to convince people your right for the job. if your young but have way more experience and a fantastic resume, there's no reason they won't take you.

if you live in london and you're between 8-18, there's this really good thing called the 'summer uni london'. during the summer, there are loads of free workshops, courses and activities you can apply for. there's loads of different ones you can do, including a 5 day fashion & accessory design one, which i've applied for. you have to apply soon though, as they book up very quick! search summer uni london on google to find the site. i haven't been to it before, but it sounds really good and it's something fun to do in the summer!

how did you land a job in a high end store at sixteen?
that's crazy. i don't think you can apply to stores like H&M at age 16.

You can apply to pretty much any retail store at 16 because that's the age you can legally leave school here. I know 16 year olds that've worked in Topshop and Selfridges!

well, retail doesn't really help that much because mostly you are doing customer service right? what other ideas do you guys have about the fashion club thing becuase I really want one, it'll build experience and what not, but have no idea. i don't know if people will be that commited to it. any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->